Mesh Internet Systems

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Question for the CF Community...

I'm considering a mesh system for my house and would like some feedback on which ones are best. We have a 300 mb/s speed connection with Mediacom. I get around that down by the router, which is in the kitchen. My home office is one floor above the kitchen and not directly above it. I'm getting only about 50 mb/s up in my office. And the connection up in my office is spotty. We have an old house (120 years old) which means thick walls/plaster.

Are any of these systems worth it to raise my speeds upstairs? Or, do they not work well for my situation?

Reactions: khardbored

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I’d like a mesh system that doesn’t hand all my info to Amazon or Google to help “enhance the internet experience.” Does such a thing exist? Do I need to upgrade my foil hat?

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020

I'm considering a mesh system for my house and would like some feedback on which ones are best. We have a 300 mb/s speed connection with Mediacom. I get around that down by the router, which is in the kitchen. My home office is one floor above the kitchen and not directly above it. I'm getting only about 50 mb/s up in my office. And the connection up in my office is spotty. We have an old house (120 years old) which means thick walls/plaster.

Are any of these systems worth it to raise my speeds upstairs? Or, do they not work well for my situation?
I too am interested. Recently upgraded to CenturyLink's "Fiber Gigabit up to 940mbps". The router is in the basement so upstairs is pretty choppy.

Side note, we rarely top 100mbps with this "Gigabit" technology.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I bought a Google Nest Wifi 3 pack about 6 months ago. Easy to set up and easy to use. Better than what I had before (Netgear router that was a tri-band)...not sure? Not worse by any means...just not eye opening better! Coverage is great...but so was the coverage on my old router which was about half the price. So...not the most direct answer but I wanted a "mesh" system and I like Google stuff...it works easily and exactly as it is supposed to but it was pricey!

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Are you able to physically connect the mesh nodes / access points together with a CAT6 cable? That will greatly increase speeds on the top floor if interference with whatever is in the walls is an issue.

Not without a fair bit of effort. I'd have to run the cables down to the basement and back up 2 floors to my office. Not terribly easy to run new lines in an old house, unfortunately.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I too am interested. Recently upgraded to CenturyLink's "Fiber Gigabit up to 940mbps". The router is in the basement so upstairs is pretty choppy.

Side note, we rarely top 100mbps with this "Gigabit" technology.

I've been mostly pleased with our mediacom speeds. We paid for 200 mb/s and were getting about 220 at the router. Then mediacom eliminated that speed line, and upgraded us to 300 mb/s for no increase in cost (at least for now).

Reactions: Saul_T

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I'm not that tech savvy but a few months ago I got the Linksys Velop AC2200 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 5 setup and it's worked great so far. 6,000 sq. ft. of coverage (way more than needed inside but extends outside to deck, patio, etc.), three individual routers so am covered on main floor (with modem), basement, and upstairs. I think I get the same Mediacom speed/connection as you do.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I have the Netgear Orbit system, and it's great. With the app, it was pretty easy to setup. I think it's more expensive than the Google system, but don't want to give Google any more money than I need to, and I've had good luck with Netgear over the years.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a Google Nest mesh with outlet wall mounts.
6398237_sd.jpg

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Been really happy with Google Nest wi-fi. Have three points and house was pre-wired so they're all wired. Great coverage, speed, no dead spots.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

+1 for eero. They just rolled out updated hardware about a year ago if you buy your own. Mediacom uses these now, as does MetroNet last I checked. I have the previous version and really like it.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Because it offered no help to the OP's question. I understand the sentiment, but there was no constructive feedback...therefore, I felt the comment belonged in a box of dumb.

Fair. I (for once) wasn’t trying to be an ass - it was a true follow-up. I’d like better coverage in our house. I think giving even more info to A or G is a legit concern. I’d love to hear alternatives and/or rebukes.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Not without a fair bit of effort. I'd have to run the cables down to the basement and back up 2 floors to my office. Not terribly easy to run new lines in an old house, unfortunately.

Since I've been WFH since March 2020 I have had a CAT6 cable ran out my 1st floor window to my 2nd floor home office window since I moved up here in ~May 2020. Before that I was in the basement where it was easier to run the line...which I had already to my Xbox. I tried to pin the cord tight to the house so it doesn't flap in the breeze and runs in a decent L-shape to make the best of a bad deal.

I tried to run the line properly as you say, as there is a coaxial cable already running to this room. I don't use the cable, so just take the cable and pull the new cable up through the walls with it, right? Sadly, no dice in my circa 1918 house, even with a metal fish tape. If I hated having a cord dangling outside my house more, I would hire an electrician to run it for me. I will probably do that someday if I can come up with another job to give him beyond just that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron