Men's BB Expectations

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
What is everyone's expectations for this year's ISU Men's BB team. Given the non-conference schedule, I expect to win 17 games and go to the NIT. I think that would be a great start to this era of ISU men's BB.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Which Big 12 teams do you think will be the most improved from last season and which teams will be disappointments (when compared to last season's records)?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Considering the state of the basketball team right now, I think the NIT is a reasonable expectation. As G-Mac's recruits come to ISU starting next year, we can start to expect NCAA tournament appearances, and then start to talk how far in the dance this years team will make it. But for now, NIT is the most we can expect out of this year's team.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think we need to be realistic. The NIT is a real stretch. I think 15 wins is hopeful. I'm usually optimistic about basketball, but at the same time realistically I've seen ISU teams with more talent end up with 15 wins or less.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
sorry i dont consider the NIT that great

It is GMac's FIRST year. What he needs to do this season is paint the picture for the future, and give the fans hope for the future. This is something that DMac has FAILED to do.

In terms of wins, if Iowa State can finish around .500, which with the pre-season schedule is very possible, and maybe pull an upset somewhere that would be a good first year for Greg McDermott.

dudeluv

Mar 26, 2006
Sioux City Iowa
NIT would be a great first year for G-Mac. Not only from an accomplishment standpoint, but also from the fact that it gives the guys more playing time at the end of the year, and can make us a better team with more experience for the next year.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
NIT would be great, sneak into NCAA excellent.

Just need to be realistic, injuries would devastate MBB at any point. I hope for a .500+ season and catch the tail end of the NIT. Would be pleasantly happy.

As for the "sorry i dont consider the NIT that great", it sure beats the lesser of alternatives. Give'm hope.

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
I expect the Clones to have a respectable season. I would be happy just to see some teamwork and defense. I don't think any of us will be disappointed.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If ISU makes the NIT I would consider it a very successful season. They have what only 7 or so scholarship players? They are putting in a new system and are very young. I think they will play good tough basketball but i'd be impressed with an NIT berth. I can't wait to see them play in a couple years. I believe they will be very impressive.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I think they will achieve higher than expected... whatever that may be. I expect a couple of big upsets. Watching Wesley Johnson play this summer and knowing what McIntosh and Taylor are capable of, as well as actually having a DEFENSE this year I think the NIT is almost a lock.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
I have no expectations whatsoever. I expect them to be pretty bad, but improve throughout the season. If they make the NIT, that would be pretty good.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I think this team will be much better than expected. Seeing Wesley Johnson play this summer and knowing what McIntosh and Taylor are capable of I see us getting a could of big wins. Add that to the fact that we will actually have a DEFENSE this year and I think the NIT is almost a lock.

rlegg928

Apr 11, 2006
Troy, NY
Given our schedule and the renewed interest in home games, I see Hilton Magic coming into play a lot in close games. Here's a prediction for the season:

We start the season with a 4 "easy" games (4-0). First loss will come at Minnesota (4-1). Then we win 3 straight to get back on track (LSS, UNI, Drake) (7-1). At Iowa will be close, but the road is tough on young teams and new coaches (7-2)*. Beat Savannah (8-2). Bradley will be a test, but Des Moines hasn't been good to ISU, yet (8-3). OSU away (8-4). Clean up non-conference schedule (10-4). At Missouri will be tough environment for first Big 12 game (10-5). Nebraska at ISU gets a little help from Hilton Magic (11-5)*. Kansas in Ames, and at Colorado are ugly, for some reason we don't play well at altitude (11-7). Fans brace for a mid-season collapse knowing the tough schedule ahead, but Hilton greets ISU home for a win over KSU (12-7). Road trip doesn't go well at Oklahoma State and Tex A&M, but ISU is competitive in both games and shows strong signs for the future (12-9). Again, Hilton re-energizes our team and defense. Baylor and Missouri at Hilton are classic home games for ISU with Hilton rockin', and we rebound from the road trip at home with a pair of W's (14-9). At Texas gives ISU a chance to be an early spoiler for a Texas Big 12 title shot, but we fall short (14-10). Oklahoma back home gives us new life and ISU starts to eye a strong finish to the season (15-10). Loss at Kansas State (15-11)*, win with Colorado at Hilton (16-11). Loss at Kansas seals KU's regular season Big 12 title (16-12). A loss at Nebraska gives Nebraska revenge for a loss at Hilton and keeps ISU fans in limbo heading into the post season (16-13). Hilton is Rocking for a sendoff to the Big 12 tourney, and McDermott beats Kight in their first meeting (17-13)*.

ISU suprises a team in the Big 12 tourney and we could start getting some national talk ahead of NCAA's (18-13), but easy early season schedule keeps us in the NIT. A great year for a first year coach and a strong showing of the future of cyclone hoops. We finish 18-13 overall (7-9 in Big 12), 16-1 at home and 2-12 on the road. I think we have 4 swing games, * above: at Iowa, Nebraska at home, at KSU, and TTech at Home; that will be key to the season (we go 2-2 in these).

I'm hoping for a great seaon!!!

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Given our schedule and the renewed interest in home games, I see Hilton Magic coming into play a lot in close games. Here's a prediction for the season:

We start the season with a 4 "easy" games (4-0). First loss will come at Minnesota (4-1). Then we win 3 straight to get back on track (LSS, UNI, Drake) (7-1). At Iowa will be close, but the road is tough on young teams and new coaches (7-2)*. Beat Savannah (8-2). Bradley will be a test, but Des Moines hasn't been good to ISU, yet (8-3). OSU away (8-4). Clean up non-conference schedule (10-4). At Missouri will be tough environment for first Big 12 game (10-5). Nebraska at ISU gets a little help from Hilton Magic (11-5)*. Kansas in Ames, and at Colorado are ugly, for some reason we don't play well at altitude (11-7). Fans brace for a mid-season collapse knowing the tough schedule ahead, but Hilton greets ISU home for a win over KSU (12-7). Road trip doesn't go well at Oklahoma State and Tex A&M, but ISU is competitive in both games and shows strong signs for the future (12-9). Again, Hilton re-energizes our team and defense. Baylor and Missouri at Hilton are classic home games for ISU with Hilton rockin', and we rebound from the road trip at home with a pair of W's (14-9). At Texas gives ISU a chance to be an early spoiler for a Texas Big 12 title shot, but we fall short (14-10). Oklahoma back home gives us new life and ISU starts to eye a strong finish to the season (15-10). Loss at Kansas State (15-11)*, win with Colorado at Hilton (16-11). Loss at Kansas seals KU's regular season Big 12 title (16-12). A loss at Nebraska gives Nebraska revenge for a loss at Hilton and keeps ISU fans in limbo heading into the post season (16-13). Hilton is Rocking for a sendoff to the Big 12 tourney, and McDermott beats Kight in their first meeting (17-13)*.

ISU suprises a team in the Big 12 tourney and we could start getting some national talk ahead of NCAA's (18-13), but easy early season schedule keeps us in the NIT. A great year for a first year coach and a strong showing of the future of cyclone hoops. We finish 18-13 overall (7-9 in Big 12), 16-1 at home and 2-12 on the road. I think we have 4 swing games, * above: at Iowa, Nebraska at home, at KSU, and TTech at Home; that will be key to the season (we go 2-2 in these).

I'm hoping for a great seaon!!!

This is about the way I see the season. Bradley isn't the same as the team that went to the sweet sixteen. I've got that down as a win. And Nebraska on the road comes late in the season, both teams will be experienced by then, but GMac has more talent available, another W. The 3 road games, Mn, UNI, and Iowa could go either way. The key to the season is the guards. Will Taylor get his classwork in order? Dunson and Brock Jacobson need to step up and give some quality minutes in relief. If all that happens, I can see 18-20 wins, 8-8 or even 9-7 in the Big 12 and NIT or better. Of course, I've always been an optimist.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
i don't think the nit is that much of a stretch - yeah, we're missing the backcourt, but from what i've been reading the two guards are very capable and they'll also benefit from coming in fresh to d-mac's new system (from espn).

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I enter the season with no expectations as far as wins and losses.

It is human nature to get excited about the prospects of a new season, but everyone needs to remember that we are only returning 4 players from last years disappointing team. Of the returning players, only one was a key figure on last years team.

Instead of worrying about wins and losses, I'm going to enjoy watching this young team grow and develop. Hopefully there will be a couple of surprises along the way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron