Meltdowns

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Expect more out of our senior leadership on days like today.

Sucks to lose Avery for the season, and it sounds like Meegan will be out at least a few weeks. We will have to regroup and make do as we head into conference season.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
These are just painful to watch. :oops:

Especially from the 2nd row. Took the 7yr old today, it was fun for the first two games. Guess we should not have left during the third to get a Clone Cone!

I think our HS JV team has fewer service errors than Iowa State.

Reactions: harimad

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
After Iowa I had to stop watching. Just not enjoyable. Bad fan. :(

Debating whether to catch the match next Saturday when in town. Think Baylor will run us.

BTW, odd match cancellation last night for Gophers at home versus KSU. Too hot. Old Sport Pavillion (where we have played in some NCAA matches) is not air conditioned and with the heat and humidity yesterday they called it off.

Reactions: harimad

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
After Iowa I had to stop watching. Just not enjoyable. Bad fan. :(

Debating whether to catch the match next Saturday when in town. Think Baylor will run us.

BTW, odd match cancellation last night for Gophers at home versus KSU. Too hot. Old Sport Pavillion (where we have played in some NCAA matches) is not air conditioned and with the heat and humidity yesterday they called it off.
Wow. I kind of wish they'd done that a few years ago at Huff Hall (U of Illinois) when I watched our women play there. My God was it hot and humid.

Still worth it. Had a great weekend taking the daughter to her first ISU volleyball match, even if it was at an opponent's venue. The best part is one of the Illini women ended up as DD's freshman volleyball coach last year.

Reactions: Cybirdy

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The state of the team/program may be at its low point since CJL made her first NCAA at ISU. Didn’t watch today’s match and there is no post match presser posted. Most disturbing to me was being embarrassingly non competitive against Nebraska last weekend. The TOE and Cuse losses were icing on the cake. Will be interesting to see how the conference season unfolds as the the odds for making the NCAAs aren’t looking good at this point.

• Dislike
Reactions: psyclone51

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Sometime in the last decade I came to the realization with the women's basketball team, that despite early success and our best hopes, we are not going to take the next step. We will slot in around number 25 each year, some years better, some worse. I am beginning to think this is the same reality for the volleyball team. I'll still go to the matches and support our student athletes with all my heart. Hopefully we can have some good results in conference play, we aren't that far off, just a few tweaks.

• Agree
Reactions: psyclone51

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Things looked better against the Orange then we folded like a cheap suit again. 13 service errors vs the Howks killed us stone dead. We look good in spurts. Piper had a great first two sets on Sunday. Losing two players is huge- I hope things get better but we don't have any quality wins unless you count UNI. Losing to the Howks the way we did was awful. Had the coach they wanted been available they would have given Bond the heave ho but she turned them down so he got an extension. Looks like they backed into that one he is doing a good job for them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sometime in the last decade I came to the realization with the women's basketball team, that despite early success and our best hopes, we are not going to take the next step. We will slot in around number 25 each year, some years better, some worse. I am beginning to think this is the same reality for the volleyball team. I'll still go to the matches and support our student athletes with all my heart. Hopefully we can have some good results in conference play, we aren't that far off, just a few tweaks.

I am kinda in the same camp which makes me fan sad. Thought that next step might happen in basketball, it did not and will not. We might still have a run sometime and get ranked again but we aren't a Top 25 program. Feels like volleyball is on the same path and receding from a highwater mark. Losing that 5th set to FSU and missing the Final Four that one year was a killer to me as an ISU fan because my thought , even then, was this might have been our one and only shot at it. They looked really competitive against the Gophers and Badgers the spring of 2017 but than fizzled in the regular season. Not ranked the last five years and slipping. :(

And nether sport is a strong one in the Big 12 right now.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
I am struggling watching our girls play as well, but will keep cheering them on. CJL has taken her teams to the tournament for the past 11-12 years (can't exactly remember) and that is no easy feat. Every once in a while a team is going to have a tough year, and maybe this is that year for volleyball... there is just a spark missing from the team and we are relying heavily on Jess Schaben to do everything and that young lady is TRYING. Maybe they will get things turned around during conference, but the conference is a little tougher than at first anticipated, so we will see.
One more thing ~ Optimistically, I think we have a good chance to be in the top of the conference with women's basketball with a full roster this year (praying they stay healthy).

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98