Median boomer retirement account $144,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
My opinion is don't worry about the percentage you put away. Figure out what you want to retire on, what you will receive from that (always back them off a little to be safe) and then figure out how much you need to put away. Maybe you need 40% put away to get there, maybe 10% does. Don't say 15% is the magic number, because you could end up with 30k/year or 300k/year when you retire. Get the number you want to retire on and work from there.

And probably don't underestimate how long you might live unless you have a family history that clearly indicates a likely shorter life expectancy or if you have really bad habits.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Honestly I see a lot of inheritances in this thread. Y'all some future rich people.

I pissed my wife off when I told her how much we are projected to leave to our kids. She wants to kick up our lifestyle to spend it, but we pretty much do what we want, buy what we want and still do well saving and investing. The secret is to live below your means and not have extravagant tastes to begin with. Each kid should get a hefty amount which will set the family tree into a good position for future generations, but hopefully not for awhile . . . I guess I could always have a building named after us at ISU :) QWERTY HALL

Reactions: Cyclone06

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
As someone who is in the retirement world(not financial adviser), a few observations:

The people borrowing against their 401k are very rarely the ones with high balances. You don't know how many times I heard "Well I'm paying myself back the interest".

Income, occupation, location, etc. rarely have anything to do with balance. Of course super low earners usually have low balances but there are a LOT of high earners with very little saved. There are also a lot of middle income people with 7 figure 401k's.

Just because their 401k balance looks modest doesn't mean they don't have a lot of other assets. You also have to take into account dual income/dual 401k/IRA's.

A LOT of people don't even do enough to get employer match, which is borderline criminal. Companies defaulting new employees to a certain percentage as soon as their hired helps a lot.

Usually the people we hear the least from, do the best. They are not calling about loans, divorce, changing investments, etc. They set it, look at it, but leave it alone.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
As someone who is in the retirement world(not financial adviser), a few observations:

The people borrowing against their 401k are very rarely the ones with high balances. You don't know how many times I heard "Well I'm paying myself back the interest".

I was flabbergasted the first time I had someone tell me they borrowed against their 401k. They owned a house in another state that they couldn't sell due to the 2008 crash. But they were purchasing a house in Minnesota. Someone mentioned "Boy, that's awesome that you had enough in savings to cover the down payment for the new place without selling the old place."

To which the husband said "Oh, no, we just borrowed against our 401k. It was super easy, and you're paying yourself back, so it evens out in the end." I had to restrain my palm from slapping my face in that moment.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I feel the best thing about a college degree are the options it gives. More doors, more choices, more freedom. Plus you learn a ton going through the undergraduate process. School learning, life learning, mental toughness.

Not to mention I don't have to beat my body up outside in the hot sun or cold winter.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Long term care insurance. I know it sucks paying those premiums but you just never know and I have seen more than a few nursing homes for those without much for resources and I do not want to spend a day living in one of those.

I've decided I won't live in a nursing home. If I get that bad it's time to go the Dr. Jack route.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've decided I won't live in a nursing home. If I get that bad it's time to go the Dr. Jack route.

My grandmother lived in rural Missouri and had to go to the county nursing home there before she died. Visiting her there was shocking. The level of care was substandard, to put it lightly. The sounds of elderly people just wailing and crying in the halls still makes my stomach churn.

Take me out behind the barn before ever putting me in a place like that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My grandmother lived in rural Missouri and had to go to the county nursing home there before she died. Visiting her there was shocking. The level of care was substandard, to put it lightly. The sounds of elderly people just wailing and crying in the halls still makes my stomach churn.

Take me out behind the barn before ever putting me in a place like that.

Exactly. I've visited enough to see I don't want that and not to mention how they treat you financially.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Several years ago my dad sat my sister and me down to go over the estate. He laid out everything from attorney names to pension funds and everything in between. It jives with what you've said in here about people with less being more secretive about it. His point was he wants to make sure no one takes the "family money" and that my sister and I don't fight over it when they are gone. We don't fight about anything so I can't imagine we'd fight about splitting their assets straight down the middle. Neither of us is in a position to *need* the money ASAP.

He has always wanted a Corvette but never bought one. He can afford one without it impacting his life at all and he still won't buy it. I asked him about it and he says, "that's less money for your sister and you when croak." So for father's day, I'm getting him a weeklong Corvette rental.

Without giving specifics, what is the range we're talking about here? My dad received over 7 figures from my grandma when she passed and it did not change his life at all. I think he invested it and hasn't touched it, except for paying taxes on the dividends, in 20 years. I'm making up numbers now, but I often wonder how much I would need to quit my job and find something more relaxing to do? Not an early retirement but a job where I can clock out and be less worried all the time. 500k? 1 million? 3 million?

He could buy a 10-year-old Corvette (not the Z06/ZR1) for $20k or less and it will likely have less than 50,000 miles. Add a couple thousand if he wants a convertible. These things are Chevrolets, not exotic supercars. Best performance per $ you could buy. Make him get one and enjoy it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If my wife and I die at the same time, there are going to be some very surprised people in my family.
#1 I refuse to leave money to people who have been irresponsible with their money forever.
#2 Didn't have kids
#3 Our 5 year old niece doesn't know it now but she should be very nice to us.....

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I feel the best thing about a college degree are the options it gives. More doors, more choices, more freedom. Plus you learn a ton going through the undergraduate process. School learning, life learning, mental toughness.

General Petraeus generally supports higher education for folks in the armed forces, and his main reason is that if often takes higher education for people to realize that there are a bunch of other people out there that are smarter than them. Some people may not need that lesson, but considering we live in DunningKrugerStan I think he makes a good point. The leader of the Good Judgement Project wrote about what may be considered a lack of confidence is actually a trait of people who are what they label superforecasters.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If my wife and I die at the same time, there are going to be some very surprised people in my family.
#1 I refuse to leave money to people who have been irresponsible with their money forever.
#2 Didn't have kids
#3 Our 5 year old niece doesn't know it now but she should be very nice to us.....

The rich get richer then. :p

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
#2 Didn't have kids

I think you're awesome, have I ever said that? FYI - I'll PM you my detes.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
#2 Didn't have kids

I think I got written out of my parents' will.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron