Masters of the Air

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I thought the show was great. At the end of the day it's a show about the 100th, and the inclusion of the Red Tails and whether ot not its tokenism kind of depends on if any of the Red Tails were actually in captivity with Buck and Bucky or not. If that is really what happened then I have no problem with the creators giving a nod to the Red tails being in prison camp with members of the 100th and telling a little about their story while keeping the majority of the shows focus on the 100th.

That's fair.

I think maybe it goes back to their being too many characters to follow; perhaps instead of focusing on the guy who escapes France (and I thought those scenes were good, just too brief of a storyline to really invest time into it) maybe introduce the Red Tails earlier.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I feel like the show could have easily been stretched over multiple seasons.

Season 1 - Boot camp, Germany dominating before the US gets involved, flight to England, first mission
Season 2 - Missions, Introduction of the Red tails at boot camp, final epiosed being the flight to Africa
Season 3 - Leave trips to London, breaking into Germany, episodes 9-10 finishing season 3

Reactions: CloneIce

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That's fair.

I think maybe it goes back to their being too many characters to follow; perhaps instead of focusing on the guy who escapes France (and I thought those scenes were good, just too brief of a storyline to really invest time into it) maybe introduce the Red Tails earlier.
I agree the show suffered from trying to fit too much into the pre determined number of episodes. There were a number of storylines that didn't get the attention they deserved.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
All three of the series were great at documenting the horrors of war but Pacific held the most meaning for my wife and me. My wife's father was a mechanic in the Army Air Corp and served on Guam patching up planes. My dad was in the Navy and was on some islands including Peleliu and, later, occupied Japan as a radio man for the Marines. My two uncles were killed in the Pacific; my dad's only sibling during the invasion of Iwo Jima and my aunt's husband by a kamikaze on the USS Bunker Hill.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
All three are fantastic to watch and see the difference in the type of war that each was fighting. People tend to like BoB for a couple of reasons, it set the standard being first so you always go back to it when comparing the other two. 2nd and more important, its much easier to follow the story of BoB because they only fought from June of 1944 to May of 1945. The same characterizers are fighting in the same battles all the way across France into Germany.

Now compare that to the Pacific and Masters of the Air, both started in 1942 and goes until the end of the war in 1945. No soldier fought in all the battles in those theaters of the war. So, you have a consent changing over of the characters instead of the story of Winters and the 101sts.

I myself think the Pacific is the better story, seeing Sledge go from a scared young marine, to a battle-hardened veteran back to someone that see compassion instead of just hate for the enemy.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I thought the show was great. At the end of the day it's a show about the 100th, and the inclusion of the Red Tails and whether ot not its tokenism kind of depends on if any of the Red Tails were actually in captivity with Buck and Bucky or not. If that is really what happened then I have no problem with the creators giving a nod to the Red tails being in prison camp with members of the 100th and telling a little about their story while keeping the majority of the shows focus on the 100th.
I watched a documentary on the 100tb and it was accurate, those Tuskegee airmen were in captivity with Bucky and company

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Since you’re already subbed to Apple+, Greyhound is a Navy movie on there. Tom Hanks is the captain of a destroyer group protecting a convoy crossing during the Battle of the Atlantic
That was the one that got me to sub to Apple TV.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone