Loyalty ..... NONE!

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yeah let's fire a coach to gamble on hiring someone that could have us in a worse position than where we are right now. Cytopia you need to quit speaking, atleast then you will sound smarter.

cytopia

Feb 13, 2014
Des Moines
That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yeah let's fire a coach to gamble on hiring someone that could have us in a worse position than where we are right now. Cytopia you need to quit speaking, atleast then you will sound smarter.

Going down on a sinking ship is what is dumb. I'd rather jump off and swim to the next one.

Why couldn't the new hire put us in a better position? Starting with KJ is the safe bet if we want to stay 10-20 range. That's not good enough for me. Why not take a chance that we can get someone to put us over the hump? I refuse to give into the loser mentality.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It sounds so easy. Just fire the underperforming coach and go take a chance on a new coach. However, these are much more complicated and risky processes. Coaching changes can screw up years of a program, even when they work out well in the long run.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
How is it a sinking ship when we're basically a top 10 program right now? Guess we should fire Hoiberg because he just isn't getting us a title either

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why not take a risk? It may not work out but at least we tried. It may turn out worse than what we have now, but at least we tried. You keep trying until you find the guy that fits the program and takes you to where you want to be. I'm not happy with where we are at and I doubt many are. The cupboard looks to be getting more bare after this season. I don't know who they should hire. But I do know that it is a loser mentality to stay with what you've got because you are afraid of taking risks. The only reason to renew KJ's contract is because you think he can take us to the top. I don't think he can even get us close.

Hiring and firing coaches you keep taking a risk on would be the fastest way to end the ISU Wrestling Program.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Hiring and firing coaches you keep taking a risk on would be the fastest way to end the ISU Wrestling Program.

Well, people have been calling for Jackson's head since the moment he was hired because they didn't think he could even get us into the top 20. Now we've been in the top 20 for a couple years and they're moving the goalposts.

It is definitely a valid question whether we can compete for team championships under Jackson , and his seat is certainly warm. But is comical how just outright angry a subset of the fanbase has been since he got here in 2009. We get it, Jackson isn't Cael Sanderson. But Cael Sanderson isn't walking back into Leid anytime soon. Jackson isn't Hoiberg, but he's isn't the Courtney Messingham either.

cytopia

Feb 13, 2014
Des Moines
How is it a sinking ship when we're basically a top 10 program right now? Guess we should fire Hoiberg because he just isn't getting us a title either

In who's book are we a top ten program? And this is wrestling, not basketball. They are two totally different animals. Getting to the sweet sixteen in basketball is like being top four in wrestling. Were not even close to top four.

cytopia

Feb 13, 2014
Des Moines

If you hire the right guy you don't have to keep doing it. I guess if were happy with the results we are currently having then KJ is the coach for us. I remember the days when we had higher standards for wrestling.

cytopia

Feb 13, 2014
Des Moines
I challenge any of you to find a four year period that we have finished worse at nationals than we have the past four years. It aint gonna get any better with the recruits we are getting and the graduates that are on the horizon. Open your eyes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It is definitely a valid question whether we can compete for team championships under Jackson , and his seat is certainly warm. But is comical how just outright angry a subset of the fanbase has been since he got here in 2009.
Cyclone wrestling attendance is down from where it used to be - way down. I wouldn't dwell on the "angry subset" of fans. It's more alarming to notice the apathy towards a once-proud program.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I challenge any of you to find a four year period that we have finished worse at nationals than we have the past four years. It aint gonna get any better with the recruits we are getting and the graduates that are on the horizon. Open your eyes.

Well, Harold Nichols' first three years were worse than any three-year period under KJ. Add in the final year of Otopalik (coach before Nichols), and that's your four-year result.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
In who's book are we a top ten program? And this is wrestling, not basketball. They are two totally different animals. Getting to the sweet sixteen in basketball is like being top four in wrestling. Were not even close to top four.

Yeah... I don't agree with this at all. You see lots of basketball teams have a good tournament or a lucky draw slip into the sweet sixteen, and it can be fluke-ish. Nobody finishes in the top 4 of the NCAA wrestling tournament by fluke.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Well the last I checked were ranked 11th as a team

This isn't something to be proud of, especially on the heels of 12th and 13th place finishes.

And I agree: you don't keep an underachieving coach because another coach might do worse. This program should be in the top 10 annually and have a shot at the title once every few years. We are not there now and no where near on the latter.

There is a lot of season left. Let's see where things finish up and decide from there.

Last edited:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
By no means was I bragging about the rankings. All I was stating was the fact that this team isn't near as bad as Cytopia is making it sound.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Um....the program is ranked 12th right now. Couple years ago we weren't even that high.

I'd like to hear Judoka's thoughts on this thread
Ranked 12th in D1 wrestling with the limited number of competings schools, is like Iowa St mbb being ranked 80th

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron