Looking for advice-what to see and do in Ames and at ISU

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
1. Start at Mother's Pub for a Mother's Little Helper
2. Head over to Thumbs for Green Tree Frogs
3. Head down to Cafe Beaudelaire for long islands
4. End at Welch Ave. Station with some PO'ed Japanese Minnow Farmers

If you can still see, hit up the Fajita Man. Uber will take you home.
I think the bars in Ames are still closed per governors orders:(

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cyched

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
As others said, make sure to walk most of campus. It’ll give you a good feel for ISU. Otherwise just drive around the different parts of the city a little - west Ames (Mortensen Rd) is a popular spot students live off campus. Take him down Welch Ave. The downtown area is fairly nice, as is north Ames (Stange Rd). I would suggest Wallaby’s for lunch or dinner. It will give you a good idea of Ames’ love for the Cyclones. The special things about Ames are mostly Iowa State’s campus, the local food spots, and the people. Nothing too flashy aside from the beautiful campus.

scottmbecker

Sep 27, 2020
I very much appreciate all of the replies. We will definitely spend a good bit of time on campus. I'm writing down all of the restuarant suggestions, we'll have our work cut out for us.

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm
L

LincolnWay187

Go disc golfing. Theres a cool course in Ames. Go see Reiman gardens. If you can go walk through some of the buildings and see the art/architecture on campus or the Atanassoff Berry Computer

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just be sure to go to the University Book Store inside the Memorial Union and then the fountain outside of the Union across from the Campanile..... this is probably the most photographed place on campus.

You should also go to the Somerset area in north Ames. Neat area with some good restaurants..... including Wallaby’s, the Cafe, Brick City Grill, El Azteca, etc.

It really is too bad there won’t be the full amount of fans there tailgating... it’s some of the best tailgating in the country!

Reactions: Angie

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
What makes Ames and Iowa unique, are the people. Assuming you are from California, Iowa may feel “different”. We are definitely rural, not big city by any stretch. The unfortunate thing, as someone already mentioned, without tailgating, you aren’t seeing us at our best.

The campus is quite beautiful. Lots of green space and quite representative of a land grant university (as a legacy grad, I took that for granted while in school, and have become more appreciative of campus as I have aged). Spend some time on central campus and just take it in. The leaves are starting to turn and you will get a flavor what a full Fall could look like.

Try to take in as much of the game day atmosphere as possible while keeping in mind it is maybe 1/10 th of a “normal” game day.

Talk to as many folks as possible and see if you can get a good flavor for the university. People are friendly, especially if you tell them you are in a visit with your son. Recommendations will be plentiful.

As for food, opinions will vary. Overall, pork and beef reign supreme. Asking about BBQ will get you into a hotly contested debate (for not having a distinctive “style“, there sure is a lot of passion around it).

Above all else, enjoy your trip and the game, cheer on the Cyclones, and welcome to Iowa!

Last edited:

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I'm gonna go against the Cornbred crowd here. There is nothing more "Vintage Ames" than Hickory Park. Any time a TV sports personality visits Ames, that is where they go. The atmosphere is way better than Cornbred and I personally think the food is too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If you are from a warmer climate, bring some warmer clothes and a jacket.... it looks like it could be a chilly night.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm gonna go against the Cornbred crowd here. There is nothing more "Vintage Ames" than Hickory Park. Any time a TV sports personality visits Ames, that is where they go. The atmosphere is way better than Cornbred and I personally think the food is too.

Cornbred’s food is a little better, but yeah, go to Hickory Park if you’ve never been to Ames before. It’s just unique and so vintage Ames.

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
Without question visit Reiman Gardens. Very few colleges or universities have a botannical garden and this one is exceptional. The director has an inspired vision for the gardens. It is open and is located just south of Jack Trice Stadium. The stadium is revered, being named for ISU's first African American athlete.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Ames is a company town of 20 some thousand. That company is I State.

I State is 32K 18-24 year olds.

The student population only deals with adults in a class. And never with anyone U-18.

It was, and continues to be, heaven on earth as a student.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Great thing about Ames and Iowa in general is without any major pro sports we're college first.

Ames is a great college town. Plus you can always head 30 miles down the interstate and find just about anything you're looking for.

Probably most important to your family is you're going to find a coaching staff that is genuine and works relentlessly to build a culture to make players feel they found a second home/ family.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Here is a link to a similar inquiry on the wrestling board from 2018

Below are a couple of things I posted.

A blog post on central campus

A working replica of the world‘s first electronic digital computer— the replica made at ISU and the original invented on campus — it seems is still on loan to a computer museum in Mountain View, California

I’m not sure if the library will be open, or if so, if you have to be a student to get in (because of Covid-19), like use your student ID.

But they have some murals by Grant Wood, who is best known for his painting American Gothic. You can see the library murals in this video by the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, prepared for its 2018 special exhibit on Grant Wood

Whitney itself owns this small scale model used in creating the mural Breaking the Prairie Sod

1601349891929.jpeg

American Gothic, which is displayed at the Art Institute of Chicago

1601348148438.jpeg

In this Twitter post from 2018, here is a troll (or two :) ) at Reiman Gardens (former FBI Director James Comey apparently has family in the area)

Reactions: carvers4math

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Central Campus is outstanding, since this is an unofficial visit, maybe call the major(s) your son is interested in and see if they can meet, no idea if that is even possible because of the Covid. Reiman Gardens is straight south of the stadium and is really nice. Hickory Park is the iconic place to visit, my personal BBQ favorite is Whatcha Smokin in the little town of Luther south and west of Ames. Many pretty nice places to eat up in North Ames/Somerset area. As others have said Wallaby's has alot of ISU sports stuff. Brick City won Iowa's best Burger contest 1 yr.

I hope you and your family have a great visit and enjoy your time in Ames. Sorry we can't tailgate or come to the game because I believe we would have made a heck of an impression then.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Unfortunately you won't get the full gameday experience but fan and community support, in central Iowa, for college football is one of the best in the nation. The Des Moines-Ames media market is one of the top 10 (#8 at 47%) when it come to people interested in college football.

This data is a couple years old but it still holds true. We are right there with some of the big names.