Looking Back at What Worked in 99-00

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I was at my folks place and stumbled across a highlight tape of the 99-00 men and women's teams. I was at all of those games, but thought I'd watch to see what made those teams the best ISU have offered.

1. Angie Welle was everything we remember her to be. She often led the team running the court and her left handed shots were something unusual at that time. She moved like no center I've seen in a long time. Time and time again she was down court for a long feed and a layup.

2. This team had depth. Wow...starters were Frese, Welle, Taylor, Francis, and Gahan. Then add in Wilson, Cipinyte, Haugan, Junod, Cizek, Mo and others. The staff had lots of options to go to without drop-off.

3. There were several really good teams this team had to beat at that time. Iowa. Nebraska, North Carolina, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas (who beat the Clones twice!) etc.

4. The current staff could do well by watching tape from this period. The offense was always attacking. It wasn't a stand and pass around the perimeter. The guards were always slashing and looking for either the shot or a teammate to pass to. I didn't see anyone standing and waiting. This was impressive.

5. To follow up #4...constant motion. Everyone is moving on offense. Rotation. Drives. Crashing boards.

6. Shooting - combination of being able to hit layups, short to mid range and the three. No weaknesses here.

How does that compare to the game and team now? First, we rarely have this type of quality depth available anymore. Part of that is players choosing to go where they can play, part the emergence of other good teams (choices), and part recruiting. Next year would have been a bit unprecedented if Donarski and Fritz had chosen to stay. Second, the game has evolved. There are better athletes across the board now. Could the 99-00 team still thrive today? No doubt. They were superb. The biggest take for me is re-evaluating how the offense flows. Other teams are playing better defense today, but there are still some good takeaways. Something many have clamored for is more movement on offense. Is that a by-product of limited depth? Perhaps. But watching the 99-00 team attack was a thing of beauty. I'd love to see our team become more aggressive, but it will depend on giving players needed breaks. I was trying to research the minutes per game stats, but the historical data isn't coming up right now.

Final thought...if you have access to this video. Watch it. Both teams were amazing and represent the pinnacle of Iowa State basketball.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here's an eye-opener. Finally able to get the stats up. Minutes per game is vastly different that what we have been seeing.
30+ per game
Frese 32.6 13.8
Taylor 30.5 13.0

25-30 per game
Welle 26.8 15.2
Gahan 27.5 6.6

20-25 per game
Francis 21.9 13.7

10-20 per game
Wilson 16.2 7.4
Haugen 15.4 2.9
Mo 12.3 3.0
Cipinyte 9.8 (essentially 10) 3.2

So the team essentially played a solid 9 deep. The number after minutes is their points per game. It's interesting that the reserves weren't depended upon to score.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
For comparison's purpose:

Joens 35.8 21.5
Donarski 35.5 12.1
Ryan 36.3 10.6
Fritz 31.0 8.8
Diew 20.6 6.1
Kane 15.3 5.9
Zingaro 6.8 3.2
M&M 9.5 1.7

Soares while available was averaging 22.7 and 14.4.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I was at my folks place and stumbled across a highlight tape of the 99-00 men and women's teams. I was at all of those games, but thought I'd watch to see what made those teams the best ISU have offered.

1. Angie Welle was everything we remember her to be. She often led the team running the court and her left handed shots were something unusual at that time. She moved like no center I've seen in a long time. Time and time again she was down court for a long feed and a layup.

2. This team had depth. Wow...starters were Frese, Welle, Taylor, Francis, and Gahan. Then add in Wilson, Cipinyte, Haugan, Junod, Cizek, Mo and others. The staff had lots of options to go to without drop-off.

3. There were several really good teams this team had to beat at that time. Iowa. Nebraska, North Carolina, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas (who beat the Clones twice!) etc.

4. The current staff could do well by watching tape from this period. The offense was always attacking. It wasn't a stand and pass around the perimeter. The guards were always slashing and looking for either the shot or a teammate to pass to. I didn't see anyone standing and waiting. This was impressive.

5. To follow up #4...constant motion. Everyone is moving on offense. Rotation. Drives. Crashing boards.

6. Shooting - combination of being able to hit layups, short to mid range and the three. No weaknesses here.

How does that compare to the game and team now? First, we rarely have this type of quality depth available anymore. Part of that is players choosing to go where they can play, part the emergence of other good teams (choices), and part recruiting. Next year would have been a bit unprecedented if Donarski and Fritz had chosen to stay. Second, the game has evolved. There are better athletes across the board now. Could the 99-00 team still thrive today? No doubt. They were superb. The biggest take for me is re-evaluating how the offense flows. Other teams are playing better defense today, but there are still some good takeaways. Something many have clamored for is more movement on offense. Is that a by-product of limited depth? Perhaps. But watching the 99-00 team attack was a thing of beauty. I'd love to see our team become more aggressive, but it will depend on giving players needed breaks. I was trying to research the minutes per game stats, but the historical data isn't coming up right now.

Final thought...if you have access to this video. Watch it. Both teams were amazing and represent the pinnacle of Iowa State basketball.
Just curious, did it show anyone upchucking in warm-ups.?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We used to be balanced but haven't been for a long time. I guess we'll know more starting in late Oct/early Nov.

It'll be interesting to see how we do, fair or not my expectation is still to make the tourney. Getting in with this yrs team will be a pretty good accomplishment. IMO. As far as getting out of the 1st weekend we haven't been real good at that for a while.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
It wasn't a stand and pass around the perimeter … I didn't see anyone standing and waiting.
Emily Ryan didn't score 3000 pts in high school by playing like this and the coaching staff hasn't beaten it out of her (or her teammates) so I guess it's by design now.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We used to be balanced but haven't been for a long time. I guess we'll know more starting in late Oct/early Nov.

It'll be interesting to see how we do, fair or not my expectation is still to make the tourney. Getting in with this yrs team will be a pretty good accomplishment. IMO. As far as getting out of the 1st weekend we haven't been real good at that for a while.

Big 12 is going to be weak sauce, again. No reason not to be in the upper six or so and get an invite.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Desiree actually upchucked on her way to the floor at the Big 12 tourney. I was there and we were wondering where she was at!
We were about 20 rows up from here. (Basically where you enter the arena. Saw her bend over and splat.) Things were much improved from there.

Reactions: acoustimac

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Mostly unrelated, but I found an autographed book by this team as a thrift store a year or two back. May have been the 98 team, I can't remember. o_O

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

The game is not officiated in any way, shape, or form as it was 20-25 years ago. Much more physical now.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The game is not officiated in any way, shape, or form as it was 20-25 years ago. Much more physical now.

You gotta understand everything about ISU WBB always fall backs to "We had a great run 20 years ago" and/or "Do you need to be reminded that we were not very good pre-Fennelly?" Living in the past is a hallmark and charter premise of ISU WBB fandom. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
From your OP There is the freedom to exploit
...I was at my folks place and stumbled across a highlight tape of the 99-00...
Under your old bunk bed? Understairs cubby? Inquiring minds.

Great topic. Wise, maybe Durr, were both offensive juggernauts in H.S. then were turned into defensive stoppers and...

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

When you least expect it!

Reactions: NWICY

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
You gotta understand everything about ISU WBB always fall back to "We had a great run 20 years ago" and/or "Do you need to be reminded that we were not very good pre-Fennelly?" Living in the past is a hallmark and charter premise of ISU WBB fandom. :rolleyes:

You've walked right up to the edge and are staring into the abyss!

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. George Bernard Shaw

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron