Lent

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not Catholic but my wife and her family are. I, for one, enjoy Lent as I get to eat copious amounts of fried fish, don't have to give anything up and have ample opportunity to make fun of ridiculous Catholic traditions. All in all, I love it.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
yRVPd.png

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
I'm not Catholic but my wife and her family are. I, for one, enjoy Lent as I get to eat copious amounts of fried fish, don't have to give anything up and have ample opportunity to make fun of ridiculous Catholic traditions. All in all, I love it.

Consider doing Lent sometime. Maybe you'd find it worthwhile.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Periods of fasting and introspection aren't unique to Catholics.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Consider doing Lent sometime. Maybe you'd find it worthwhile.

Maybe I would, but I'm pretty happy with my materialistic, self-absored, gluttonous, godless lifestyle I current live.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Periods of fasting and introspection aren't unique to Catholics.

True-- plenty of other cults participate in such things as well. :jimlad:

In all honesty I don't have anything against Catholics. I'm just so engrained in making fun of the religion to my wife it's hard not to do it around others. Hell, I'm Lutheran anyway...same ****, right?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Honestly, personally, I'm kind of "giving up" the legalism of the Catholic faith for a bit. I grew up in a parish that was very legalistic...you darn sure went to church on Sunday, and you better not eat meat on Friday, and you did the moves all by the book...but there was very little faith outside of that. People acted no differently than non-christians during the other days of the week...like faith stopped at the church doors. I saw thru that particular act when I was in college and unfortunately chalked it up to 'religion is BS' and left my faith mostly behind.

I came back to my faith a while ago in a way not associated with 'church'...and have been working on building something on my own so that I won't fall back into the phony faith where if you do the actions you can act however you want aside of that. I'm attending mass because I think studying the word and worshipping in a community are both needed things, but I'm still trying to keep a bit of distance to make sure I end up in a strong faith community, not one that does lots of dances to appear more holy.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Has anyone stopped to think about how hard it would be to give up alcohol during March Madness...with this team? **** I'm going to start drinking now just thinking about the stress.