Legal question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
NEVER talk to the police under any circumstances if you are being suspected of a crime. If they call again just ask if they have a warrant for your arrest and if they don't, tell them to **** off.

I have arrested many people with this attitude when the problem could have been easily solved if they would just talk and work out a solution with the other half (victim). Just because a crime was committed it doesn't mean that an arrest is the only solution(in most cases).

It's a case by case type of deal so use your best judgement.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Never tried it before, but couldnt you save on to thumb drive. Change the date on your computer to the desired date, drag file back over from the thumb drive?

I have a JPG file I saved to my desktop. When I click on the file properties....it says dated created, 04/3/2012 and the date the photo was taken was 7/13/2006.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
You ever read the book or see the movie Christine? Your truck isn't some old Dodge that was related to a Plymouth Fury was it? :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JWIL4CY

NEVER talk to the police under any circumstances if you are being suspected of a crime. If they call again just ask if they have a warrant for your arrest and if they don't, tell them to **** off.

I have arrested many people with this attitude when the problem could have been easily solved if they would just talk and work out a solution with the other half (victim). Just because a crime was committed it doesn't mean that an arrest is the only solution(in most cases).

Some cops have the best of intentions and some don't. Unfortunately, we have an adversarial legal system, and it's in a suspect's best interests to take full advantage of the law (e.g., the 5th Amendment).

Originally, the Bill of Rights was excluded from the Constitution, because many Framers thought these rights were pre-existing (i.e., not granted by the government). I'm glad they decided to put it back in.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Some cops have the best of intentions and some don't. Unfortunately, we have an adversarial legal system, and it's in a suspect's best interests to take full advantage of the law (e.g., the 5th Amendment).

Originally, the Bill of Rights was excluded from the Constitution, because many Framers thought these rights were pre-existing (i.e., not granted by the government). I'm glad they decided to put it back in.

Our rights do NOT come from the government.

Unalienable rights...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE"

Last edited:
Reactions: JBone84

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
Well I went and sat down with a lawyer today. He said most likely tried for a quick fix hence why the found the truck and pushed me right away. Told me they dont have anything and to not worry about it. If they were to press charges, we will just fight it at that time. Luckily I have quite a few witnesses and proof that all damage was done prior to said crime and my truck was at home while I was out that night. Thanks for the advice all!

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Spoken like a cop.

Always lawyer up! :biggrin:

Wrong answer.

If you EVER feel like you need a lawyer, with or without charges.... whether or not guilty .. GET A LAWYER.

The above is a tactic many LEO use to 'guilt' you into a conversations that will NEVER help you.

Which law firm you guys work at?

Seriously, if I had lawyered up every single time I've talked to the police I would have wasted a TON of money for absolutely nothing...

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Which law firm you guys work at?

Seriously, if I had lawyered up every single time I've talked to the police I would have wasted a TON of money for absolutely nothing...

Who said to always lawyer up.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I have a JPG file I saved to my desktop. When I click on the file properties....it says dated created, 04/3/2012 and the date the photo was taken was 7/13/2006.

And if that data exists in the file, it can be changed.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I hear detectives are always going thru CF, looking for suspects.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I hear detectives are always going thru CF, looking for suspects.

You might be surprised what LEO are looking for .... it isn't always criminals.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If said pics were in front of his house with green grass in the yard I think that he would be able to get a jury or judge to believe him.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
If said pics were in front of his house with green grass in the yard I think that he would be able to get a jury or judge to believe him.

If he went through all of the trouble to change the timestamp on the photo, don't you think that he'd do a bit of fill from other pictures in photoshop too?

:biglaugh:

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex

I agree wholeheartedly.......unless the suspect is innocent. If he didn't do anything wrong, what's to work out?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree wholeheartedly.......unless the suspect is innocent. If he didn't do anything wrong, what's to work out?

Sometimes by simply giving the right information you can quickly take yourself off of the list of suspects, so yes if you are innocent there can still be things to work out. And if you are being decidedly uncooperative they can do things to make it very uncomfortable for you, like showing up at your work to ask you more questions. So by being uncooperative you can play yourself into needing a lawyer (and the expense that comes with one) when you may have not needed one to begin with.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
This exact thing happend to me with a murder. I didnt actually have anything to do with the murder and turns out the kid just drown in an inch of water in a ditch I never got a lawyer and just crip walked out of the police station like rick ross and never heard any more. They were just trying to scare me into something that I had nothing to do w/.