Legal question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I can't see how they would possibly tell from tire tracks without witnesses.
I think I saw them do it in a procedural drama, but that's like, fiction and stuff.

Just crack open your Monopoly game and take a "get out of jail free" card. You should be fine with that.

Maybe they had the video "enhanced" like they do on TV :eek:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Crazy. The only run in I've ever had with a detective was in Clive on my birthday two years back when I got gas, ran inside to buy a paper, and forgot that I didn't pay for the gas. The detective said from the tape, he knew I wasn't up to anything as I would have driven off right away instead of going in side to buy a paper. He just said to go back and pay and there will be no further problems.
How do you sleep at night?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Next time you see them take a swing at the biggest one to assert your dominance.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
This. If they knew you did it they would have filed charges on you already regardless of what you said in their pseudo-interrogation. They were just browbeating you to see if they could get you to confess and they likely don't have any hard evidence. If they file on you, then get the attorney.

BTW, sending a time/date stamped photo doesn't help, you can manually adjust those dates.

However, you can't modify the date the file or photo was originally created.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
NEVER talk to the police under any circumstances if you are being suspected of a crime. If they call again just ask if they have a warrant for your arrest and if they don't, tell them to **** off.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
There's nothing. Even if they file, I can't imagine a prosecutor (unless they're a total moron) would try to go anywhere with that charge.

I wondered where you you were. I'd probably listen to ^^ this guy. He plays a lawyer on this site.

Next time you see them take a swing at the biggest one to assert your dominance.

then stare them straight in the eyes. Alpha always wins.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I wondered where you you were. I'd probably listen to ^^ this guy. He plays a lawyer on this site.

then stare them straight in the eyes. Alpha always wins.

True. They eyes are the groin of the head.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yesterday morning a cop shows up and asks me if I hit something(Yes a deer in 2012. Truck is a piece so of course not worth the fix it.) I said yes and explained the situation. Asked him what the problem was as I was asked about it 2 months ago when I was pulled over for a headlight out. Anyhow, today he damn near beats my door down, but I slept through it. He leaves his business card so I call him later. Meet him at Polk County, puts me in his car and reads me my rights. Starts showing me pictures of a mailbox that got knocked down the other night. I of course told him where I was and let him know that I had about 10 witnesses to prove it. So he takes me inside where a detective grills me for about 10 minutes before she gives up. Says they will press charges and I walk out the front door and go home. Should I be worried or were they just trying to scare me to get me to admit to a crime I didnt commit or do they really have something here? Should I lawyer up? They say the tracks match my truck and it happened 2 blocks from my house. I have somebody with me from 6:30 til the next day. Not sure when the crime happened.

Wait, so they read you your rights, and then threatened to press charges right before letting you walk out the door? I thought once you were read your rights, that meant that you were under arrest and that charges were inevitable? At least that is what I have gathered from my many years of watching Law and Order...

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I made the mistake of talking to cops when I was 19 while trying to help them...little did I know that they were lying to me and subsequently pressed charges against me. I wouldn't say **** without a lawyer present.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
OP, if you've never watched this video, take a peak. You must know your rights! While this isn't the same situation as yours, it illustrates the importance of knowing your rights as an American citizen so you are not unfairly treated by the police.

This is very interesting situation showing a young guy at a police traffic checkpoint last July 4th. Warning: while you're learning something, this might make you mad too:

4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
OP, if you've never watched this video, take a peak. You must know your rights! While this isn't the same situation as yours, it illustrates the importance of knowing your rights as an American citizen so you are not unfairly treated by the police.

This is very interesting situation showing a young guy at a police traffic checkpoint last July 4th. Warning: while you're learning something, this might make you mad too:

4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube

that is ******* scary

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, and that guy was an average white male. You can see how easily it is for someone to be pulled over and then "trapped" by questions or being scared.

One of my regrets from a few years back, it was late on a Sunday night (about 10PM) and I was driving home after visiting my now wife. I was leaving a small town in southern Nebraska and got pulled over (they said I was going like 40 in a 35...as I increased speed to go 55 out of town). I had out of state plates and these two cops (small town, probably ages 25-30?) questioned me...yeah, TWO cops in a town of probably 1,000 people.

I gave my info as requested, but the one guy was poking around and did a "do you mind if we look in your car?" In hindsight, wish I would have just said no, but having nothing to hide I said "sure" as I just wanted to get home as I had about an hour left on my way home (and it had been a long night...hit a dog on the way home!).

They proceeded to open my duffle bags and look through them...I also had a guitar and they said, "what's in there?" as they pointed at the case...me, 'a guitar' and, surprise, that's what was in the case when they opened it. I shared exactly where I was coming from/going to.

Anyway, I REALLY wish I would have just not talked...just because in hindsight, i would have loved to see them try to figure out what to do with me.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In my line of work I see alot of disgusting police tactics that are used to coerce people into giving confessions. Just the other day I listened to a interrogation where the investigator convinced a juvenile that he had done the community a favor by destroying a piece of property, as everyone in the neighboorhood hated it anyway. Moral of the story, do not talk to the police. If they charge you and a prosectuor feels they have a case against you, get a lawyer then. Talking to the police will only strengthen any case they have against you, as a judge can never infer guilt from you invoking your right to remain silent.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yeah, and that guy was an average white male. You can see how easily it is for someone to be pulled over and then "trapped" by questions or being scared.

One of my regrets from a few years back, it was late on a Sunday night (about 10PM) and I was driving home after visiting my now wife. I was leaving a small town in southern Nebraska and got pulled over (they said I was going like 40 in a 35...as I increased speed to go 55 out of town). I had out of state plates and these two cops (small town, probably ages 25-30?) questioned me...yeah, TWO cops in a town of probably 1,000 people.

I gave my info as requested, but the one guy was poking around and did a "do you mind if we look in your car?" In hindsight, wish I would have just said no, but having nothing to hide I said "sure" as I just wanted to get home as I had about an hour left on my way home (and it had been a long night...hit a dog on the way home!).

They proceeded to open my duffle bags and look through them...I also had a guitar and they said, "what's in there?" as they pointed at the case...me, 'a guitar' and, surprise, that's what was in the case when they opened it. I shared exactly where I was coming from/going to.

Anyway, I REALLY wish I would have just not talked...just because in hindsight, i would have loved to see them try to figure out what to do with me.

In my younger days I got my car searched a few times, by town cops, they just would start looking around in it I didn't know better at the time. Good thing they were dumbasses.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
NEVER talk to the police under any circumstances if you are being suspected of a crime. If they call again just ask if they have a warrant for your arrest and if they don't, tell them to **** off.

I don't think I'd word it like that.