Legal question

Spam

May 21, 2008
I have arrested many people with this attitude when the problem could have been easily solved if they would just talk and work out a solution with the other half (victim). Just because a crime was committed it doesn't mean that an arrest is the only solution(in most cases).

It's a case by case type of deal so use your best judgement.

you've arrested people for having a certain attitude?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Sometimes by simply giving the right information you can quickly take yourself off of the list of suspects, so yes if you are innocent there can still be things to work out. And if you are being decidedly uncooperative they can do things to make it very uncomfortable for you, like showing up at your work to ask you more questions. So by being uncooperative you can play yourself into needing a lawyer (and the expense that comes with one) when you may have not needed one to begin with.

Someone didn't watch the video.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
One of my regrets from a few years back, it was late on a Sunday night (about 10PM) and I was driving home after visiting my now wife. I was leaving a small town in southern Nebraska and got pulled over (they said I was going like 40 in a 35...as I increased speed to go 55 out of town). I had out of state plates and these two cops (small town, probably ages 25-30?) questioned me...yeah, TWO cops in a town of probably 1,000 people.

I gave my info as requested, but the one guy was poking around and did a "do you mind if we look in your car?" In hindsight, wish I would have just said no, but having nothing to hide I said "sure" as I just wanted to get home as I had about an hour left on my way home (and it had been a long night...hit a dog on the way home!).

They proceeded to open my duffle bags and look through them...I also had a guitar and they said, "what's in there?" as they pointed at the case...me, 'a guitar' and, surprise, that's what was in the case when they opened it. I shared exactly where I was coming from/going to.

Anyway, I REALLY wish I would have just not talked...just because in hindsight, i would have loved to see them try to figure out what to do with me.

Don't be too upset about it. If you refused they could have still messed with you quite a bit by making you sit there and wait for awhile. Always remember that the cops have a very low threshold to hold onto you while they investigate whether a crime has occurred. And if they do it for an hour, and don't find anything, it is pretty much no harm no foul. And despite what people might say, being detained by the cops while they unsuccessfully investigate a crime is not a ticket to millions.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
you've arrested people for having a certain attitude?
Obviously I didn't charge them with bad attitude but many situations can be resolved if both sides just work towards a solution.
For example: If someone doesn't pay their cab fare. The cab driver just wants his money. When I approach the other half and they tell me they aren't going to talk to me and they want a lawyer I have to take them to jail. When people talk to me we can work out multiple solutions(call a friend/family to pay, exchange info to pay later, etc.). It's your right to not talk to the police but it isn't always your best option. Other times it is the best option.

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
Follow up: I found out who actually did it. Of course my only evidence as of right now is heresay, but put a punk high school kid under the microscope and we will see what happens. My mood has a taken a major upswing.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Obviously I didn't charge them with bad attitude but many situations can be resolved if both sides just work towards a solution.
For example: If someone doesn't pay their cab fare. The cab driver just wants his money. When I approach the other half and they tell me they aren't going to talk to me and they want a lawyer I have to take them to jail. When people talk to me we can work out multiple solutions(call a friend/family to pay, exchange info to pay later, etc.). It's your right to not talk to the police but it isn't always your best option. Other times it is the best option.
He asked if you "arrested" them for a bad attitude. Which is basically what you stated earlier. Obviously you didn't charge them with a bad attitude. With all due respect, that kind of crap is why people don't like police officers.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
He asked if you "arrested" them for a bad attitude. Which is basically what you stated earlier. Obviously you didn't charge them with a bad attitude. With all due respect, that kind of crap is why people don't like police officers.

No I stated that I have arrested people with that attitude because we couldn't work out any other solution. Read it again. That's why people don't like police? Please tell me how you would resolve a situation with someone that refuses to assist in finding any other possible solution than for them to be arrested. It's the victims choice, not mine.

For further clarification:
That "attitude" is the attitude of refusing to talk to the police under any circumstances.
It's the victims choice if the suspect gets arrested or not (in most cases).
My commentary isn't in reference to the OP.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

No I stated that I have arrested people with that attitude because we couldn't work out any other solution. Read it again. That's why people don't like police? Please tell me how you would resolve a situation with someone that refuses to assist in finding any other possible solution than for them to be arrested. It's the victims choice, not mine.

I think both of you might as well cease and desist this argument, as neither of you are seeing the other side.

And crawfy, before you go off on that last sentence, "Victim" refers to the cab driver in the scenario presented, not the person getting arrested. In the scenario, if the person who owes a fare won't even talk to the officer, but the cab driver won't drop the issue, the officer is kind of pushed into arresting...admittedly this is a hand picked scenario, and those arguing the other side are hand picking scenarios for their arguments.

End of the day summary:

Both law enforcement officers and those they're interacting with are reacting to a usually intense situation with limited information and their developed paradigms which may or may not apply in the current situation. LEO's are sometimes trained either formally or by experience to exploit this, and those they interact with are trained by media or other outlets of certain strategies. That's a recipe for a great big **** sandwich.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Yesterday morning a cop shows up and asks me if I hit something(Yes a deer in 2012. Truck is a piece so of course not worth the fix it.) I said yes and explained the situation. Asked him what the problem was as I was asked about it 2 months ago when I was pulled over for a headlight out. Anyhow, today he damn near beats my door down, but I slept through it. He leaves his business card so I call him later. Meet him at Polk County, puts me in his car and reads me my rights. Starts showing me pictures of a mailbox that got knocked down the other night. I of course told him where I was and let him know that I had about 10 witnesses to prove it. So he takes me inside where a detective grills me for about 10 minutes before she gives up. Says they will press charges and I walk out the front door and go home. Should I be worried or were they just trying to scare me to get me to admit to a crime I didnt commit or do they really have something here? Should I lawyer up? They say the tracks match my truck and it happened 2 blocks from my house. I have somebody with me from 6:30 til the next day. Not sure when the crime happened.

In jail, or have they left you alone?