Legal question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think they were phishing pretty hard. Called my fiance and told her that I told them she did it. She told them the exact same thing and they got pretty ****** off. They also claimed that they had video surveillance of said crime being performed when they grilled me. Called me a liar and all.

Where was this?? What kind of cops get this worked up over a mailbox?? Seems extreme that they would act like that and treat you that way.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Polk County

Crazy. The only run in I've ever had with a detective was in Clive on my birthday two years back when I got gas, ran inside to buy a paper, and forgot that I didn't pay for the gas. The detective said from the tape, he knew I wasn't up to anything as I would have driven off right away instead of going in side to buy a paper. He just said to go back and pay and there will be no further problems.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
listen to F5cy and the video he posted. Some if not most lawyers will take a call listen for little while and give some advice for free I recommend you start shopping for lawyer just in case.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
If you didn't do it there is no need to get a lawyer unless you get charged.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
tell them to stuff it next time they contact you. if all they have is tire tracks they've got nothing, tell them to go after the snow plow guy.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I guess it's good this is what the cops have time to worry about?

As many have said , if you didn't do it, keep your mouth shut and wait for them to actually produce evidence/charges . I'm sure they were just hoping you'd say , "yep, it was me" which only means more innocent mailboxes would later be victimized as the true monster is still on the loose. :)

One of the oldest techniques is the "listen, we know what happened and have the evidence" as many guilty folks would come clean if they had the right person.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
You dont even need to lawyer up unless they actually have something, if they really try to pursue things then have them speak to a lawyer theyre just on a fishing expedition.

This. If they knew you did it they would have filed charges on you already regardless of what you said in their pseudo-interrogation. They were just browbeating you to see if they could get you to confess and they likely don't have any hard evidence. If they file on you, then get the attorney.

BTW, sending a time/date stamped photo doesn't help, you can manually adjust those dates.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yesterday morning a cop shows up and asks me if I hit something(Yes a deer in 2012. Truck is a piece so of course not worth the fix it.) I said yes and explained the situation. Asked him what the problem was as I was asked about it 2 months ago when I was pulled over for a headlight out. Anyhow, today he damn near beats my door down, but I slept through it. He leaves his business card so I call him later. Meet him at Polk County, puts me in his car and reads me my rights. Starts showing me pictures of a mailbox that got knocked down the other night. I of course told him where I was and let him know that I had about 10 witnesses to prove it. So he takes me inside where a detective grills me for about 10 minutes before she gives up. Says they will press charges and I walk out the front door and go home. Should I be worried or were they just trying to scare me to get me to admit to a crime I didnt commit or do they really have something here? Should I lawyer up? They say the tracks match my truck and it happened 2 blocks from my house. I have somebody with me from 6:30 til the next day. Not sure when the crime happened.

This part cracked me up ... It was a shake down... and you passed... barely (cause you talked way to much).

If they wanted to press charges, they would have while they had you in their car, office, or while 'in custody'.

Follow the advice from the posted YouTube link.... memorize it and live it. You passed a big test in answering yes to "have you ever been in an accident", as they knew the answer before you replied.... and if you said no... they could have arrested you for lying.

-keep

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Unless they have an eye wittness seeing you do it, then don't worry. it's a mailbox.

if you are going to get an attorney, just get one that likes to sue for harrassment or discrimination. if the cop tries anything more with you, just start recording it on your cell phone (people always act a little different when they know they are being recorded).

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I am not sure who's mailbox it was. They showed me pictures of it down, the tracks, my tires, and an impression from my tires in front of my house.

Sounds to me like you are guilty.... since you have admitted those are your tires.

Or do you mean similar tire tracks and similar impressions?:yes:

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
If you didn't do it there is no need to get a lawyer unless you get charged.

Wrong answer.

If you EVER feel like you need a lawyer, with or without charges.... whether or not guilty .. GET A LAWYER.

The above is a tactic many LEO use to 'guilt' you into a conversations that will NEVER help you.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There's nothing. Even if they file, I can't imagine a prosecutor (unless they're a total moron) would try to go anywhere with that charge.