Legal question

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
Yesterday morning a cop shows up and asks me if I hit something(Yes a deer in 2012. Truck is a piece so of course not worth the fix it.) I said yes and explained the situation. Asked him what the problem was as I was asked about it 2 months ago when I was pulled over for a headlight out. Anyhow, today he damn near beats my door down, but I slept through it. He leaves his business card so I call him later. Meet him at Polk County, puts me in his car and reads me my rights. Starts showing me pictures of a mailbox that got knocked down the other night. I of course told him where I was and let him know that I had about 10 witnesses to prove it. So he takes me inside where a detective grills me for about 10 minutes before she gives up. Says they will press charges and I walk out the front door and go home. Should I be worried or were they just trying to scare me to get me to admit to a crime I didnt commit or do they really have something here? Should I lawyer up? They say the tracks match my truck and it happened 2 blocks from my house. I have somebody with me from 6:30 til the next day. Not sure when the crime happened.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I'm no expert but I don't know how matching tire tracks can make you guilty of this. Over half the pickups in my town have the same tires.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
This is why you NEVER, EVER talk to the police unless you have a lawyer present.

Really, just watch the first 5 minutes if you don't have time for the whole thing.

[video=youtube;i8z7NC5sgik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik[/video]

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
They were trying to scare you into confessing. The mailbox probably belongs to some old annoying a-hole who won't leave the police alone so they are trying to close the case quick. "Hey, this guy has a truck. Lets go after him." In that situation I used to get mouthy with them and don't let them push me around, but I don't think I would do that anymore. Not in Albuquerque. They shoot people for no reason.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I can't see how they would possibly tell from tire tracks without witnesses.
I think I saw them do it in a procedural drama, but that's like, fiction and stuff.

Just crack open your Monopoly game and take a "get out of jail free" card. You should be fine with that.

Feb 6, 2013
  1. Shut up and lawyer up. Everyone has the right to remain silent, but most lack the ability.
  2. Don't feel like you have to tell them anything. Never volunteer unsolicited information. It is legal for cops to lie.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My question is, why the hell is a detective there for a busted down mailbox?! I have one of my stores get robbed in Indianapolis and I can't even get a detective to come down for that!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My question is, why the hell is a detective there for a busted down mailbox?! I have one of my stores get robbed in Indianapolis and I can't even get a detective to come down for that!

maybe he's bored? isn't destruction of a mailbox oddly serious because it's a federal offense? That does seem rather odd though, probably a good idea to stop talking to them and lawyer up if they come back.

but yeah, I learn about crime from the Good Wife, Criminal Minds, and Person of Interest. So really, I'm more qualified to answer lawyer questions about a sadistic murder committed by a machine.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
A mail box is federal property. Wouldn't the post office police have jurisdiction?

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
I think they were phishing pretty hard. Called my fiance and told her that I told them she did it. She told them the exact same thing and they got pretty ****** off. They also claimed that they had video surveillance of said crime being performed when they grilled me. Called me a liar and all.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think they were phishing pretty hard. Called my fiance and told her that I told them she did it. She told them the exact same thing and they got pretty ****** off. They also claimed that they had video surveillance of said crime being performed when they grilled me. Called me a liar and all.

wth, was it the Chief of Police's mailbox and he was expecting drugs that are missing or something now? :eek:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you can instigate a little beating you could be sitting on easy street before long.

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
I am not sure who's mailbox it was. They showed me pictures of it down, the tracks, my tires, and an impression from my tires in front of my house.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You dont even need to lawyer up unless they actually have something, if they really try to pursue things then have them speak to a lawyer theyre just on a fishing expedition.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You sound guilty to me. Just confess and face the music. You deserve this advice for seeking legal advice on a sports message board.