Late snows

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Biggest, so late in the season: May 1-3, 2013 in Minnesota/Iowa

Blooming Prairie, MN and Owatonna, MN unofficially had 20" of snow. Osage, IA set the state snowfall record for May with 13". Chariton, in southern Iowa, had 12". Impressive for being so far south.

https://www.weather.gov/dmx/maysnow
https://www.weather.gov/arx/may0213

Most insane winter event I've ever had the pleasure of covering.

/Thread

My in laws live in the Austin area and lost their machine shed that day. That was just too much wet heavy snow at once and the entire thing collapsed. To make it even worse their tractor and planter and other equipment was parked in there. But in the end it didn't matter as almost half of Mower county was prevent plant that year so nothing got planted. My brother in laws were moving snow off and away from an old hog building nearby and saw the whole thing come down.

Here in Iowa that was a very trying year as well. Had some corn in the ground from the 1 day in April that was fit that than got snowed on and flooded and finally spiked almost 30 days after planting. I never want to see a year like that again.

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I lived in Iowa/Nebraska/Illinois for 37 years and saw snow in April every single year from early grade school on (when I started keeping track as kind of a game). Even if it was just a little, never a single April without snow, more often than not it was more than once.

Getting snow in April is pretty normal, but it's natural for people to pretend it isn't to try to maintain their sanity.

Weirdest winter ever was about 7 years ago when almost my entire garden in Chicago survived through the winter somehow without even covering it...but even that crazy warm winter there was snow in April where I lived.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
More coming Sunday:

giphy.gif

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I lived in Iowa/Nebraska/Illinois for 37 years and saw snow in April every single year from early grade school on (when I started keeping track as kind of a game). Even if it was just a little, never a single April without snow, more often than not it was more than once.

Getting snow in April is pretty normal, but it's natural for people to pretend it isn't to try to maintain their sanity.

Weirdest winter ever was about 7 years ago when almost my entire garden in Chicago survived through the winter somehow without even covering it...but even that crazy warm winter there was snow in April where I lived.

I don't think anybody that's lived here for any length of time is pretending it's not normal...we're just saying it sucks.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
This weather event almost ended my farming career. Most farmers around here don’t even want to bring it up. We were still planting corn in June. There was an article on KCCI about suicide in agriculture recently. I don’t know of any that happened that spring but I know the liquor sales had to be way up and I was a huge contributor.

That late snow/wet spring was devastating to many cow/calf operations. I remember watching my dad try to pull pregnant cows up out of the muddy ditches. They would sink in to the mud and were too heavy to get back out. Lost more than 10 percent of the newborns that year.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
NWS backed down the totals some for Sunday in Central Iowa:

Last edited:
Reactions: Acylum

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
A bit cherry picked for that data but certainly this spring has sucked.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not what was asked but interesting none the less:

July is the only month that there has never been a measurable snowfall up here in the Twin Cities.

I wondered about Twin Cities snowfall extremes, this thread made me think about it. I recall snow flurries Memorial Day weekend when I lived there, probably early-'90s.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron