Lane Danielson

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
LD

How small was Lane Danielson when he started? I heard he was a really tiny kid, but by his senior season he was benching 400+ lbs. Is this true?

Edit:
It must have been Jordan Carstens...
How small was Jordan Carstens when he started?

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
You might be thinking of Jack Whitver. I remember Lane as being a little bigger.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I don't know how small he was as a Frosh, but I've also heard the rumors of Lane benching 400 lbs as a Sr.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't know how small he was as a Frosh, but I've also heard the rumors of Lane benching 400 lbs as a Sr.

I heard he had the highest bench press on the team as a senior although it seems hard to believe.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I believe Lane was listed at about 6-0 and 190 lbs. That might have been a stretch but was pretty close. It was said that he benched over 400 lbs. He was ripped.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The guy was a beast. In his senior year when we were getting beaten up by Iowa I remember watching him take out his frustrations on Ed Hinkel two plays in a row. Basically just picked up him up and slammed him down on the ground. I want to say he was a gunner on punt coverage when he did that.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
No... I remember that story being correct about Lane. He was a pretty skinny little kid when he got to ISU as a walk on, and was able to put up 400. He had a rough background... good story... one of the better guys to go through ISU and a beast of a lifter...

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
How small was Lane Danielson when he started? I heard he was a really tiny kid, but by his senior season he was benching 400+ lbs. Is this true?

It sounds like a combination of Danielsen and Carstens. Carstens reportedly came in at 190 and left around 290 or 300. Danielsen was always "small" by Big 12 standards, but he was a workout warrior. You're right that he was reportedly benching 400 lbs, before it was all said and done. I've seen him around a couple times in the past few months, and he's pretty average sized. Probably something like 6' 180, and still looks like he's in pretty good shape.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
No... I remember that story being correct about Lane. He was a pretty skinny little kid when he got to ISU as a walk on, and was able to put up 400. He had a rough background... good story... one of the better guys to go through ISU and a beast of a lifter...

I saw Lane in the stands during game the season after he graduated. I believe he had been working out with the Vikings at the time. He was in the stands with his shirt off. The dude is a physical specimen. I know my wife was certainly enjoying the seats we had.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
The guy was a beast. In his senior year when we were getting beaten up by Iowa I remember watching him take out his frustrations on Ed Hinkel two plays in a row. Basically just picked up him up and slammed him down on the ground. I want to say he was a gunner on punt coverage when he did that.

Yeah, I remember that play. When Hinkel let a fair catch go past him, Lane grabbed Hinkel by the shoulder pads and threw him on the ball, then Lane pounced on the loose ball to try and gain possession on a "forced muff."

I'm pretty sure they flagged him, but I loved the effort.

jtaconutz

Feb 1, 2007
With your mom
Yeah, I remember that play. When Hinkel let a fair catch go past him, Lane grabbed Hinkel by the shoulder pads and threw him on the ball, then Lane pounced on the loose ball to try and gain possession on a "forced muff."

I'm pretty sure they flagged him, but I loved the effort.

No flags, all the Hawks were screaming for a flag each time but it was perfectly legal for Lane to "block" him. That team had swagger.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
how can someone confuse j cartens and lane danielson? Lane was not huge by any means... he was really strong, and really fast, and had a strong will... we would all be better served by having more lanes on the team..

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I met him when he was a freshman and he definitely wasn't tiny.

Crazy that we had a WR that outlifted many of our OLmen!

jaws90us

Nov 3, 2006
I was in for the Iowa game. We were out Friday night I think the bar was the Trade Winds up town Ames. We ran into his girlfriend. She was from my wife's hometown. We had a blast with her and her friends. (My wife not with me) We got pretty wasted, but she told me to come back after the game. Lane would be there. Sure enough he was and what a great guy he is. Had a great time with him as well. Maybe not quite as good as the night before. As I sit next to his girlfriend the night before. She was hot!! I remember he had only good things to say about Iowa though. He said one profound statement. He said that Bob Sanders is one hell of football player.

Help Support Us

Become a patron