KU Challenging NCAA

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I am reading the response by KU and it is pretty good so far. You can tell they have some good attorney's working on it....

They would be even better if they had someone who knows English review their written arguments.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
From the beginning I thought the NCAA was reaching on the corporate sponsors are boosters because of the problems it would raise if that were true. That would mean that any gear, event etc. that a player got or attended from Nike Adidas etc would make them ineligible and would mean that an institution would face punishment if a Nike kid went to a Nike school. For example, Wigginton played on a Nike team and attended Nike sponsored events. If Nike is a booster of Iowa State due to the sole fact they are corporate sponsor, that would mean that an ISU booster provided impermissible benefits to Wigginton and he would be ineligible regardless of whether Prohm or ISU had anything to do with it. Now, that is a good way to try and eliminate shoe companies from influence but it isn't currently part of the rules as written.
Are you comparing basketball clothing and tournament fees to bribing a kid's family to have him switch his commitment?

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Agree. The 'etc.' would include Coach K.

With this season most likely being Pops last, it will be interesting to see if Self bolts to join his buddy owner in San Antonio.

That was my thoughts too when I mentioned Self to the NBA. Spurs seem to be the logical place if he does. If he bolts I hope the NCAA uses that as an opportunity to hammer KU with penalties promptly as you now have Self out of the equation as he'll no longer be directly impacted and gives KU a fair transition time to know up front what challenges their next hire may have to be willing to accept vs having those penalties go into effect after they make the hire.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is simple enough, not sure this can be erased but yet Sean Miller is still coaching at UA, LSU still has their coach and Roy Williams and UNC saw nothing happen. Complete and total joke.

This is another reason I am skeptic about movements to allow college athletes to get paid. We already have some getting improper benefits illegally that aren't being held accountable and now if you open up some legal opportunities who isn't to say that coaches and "friends of the program" at blueblood schools aren't going to line up some more lucrative loophole "opportunities" for recruits that it will basically be near impossible for smaller schools that don't have a deep pool of wealthy donors to be able to be in the running for elite players when these schools can offer them way more in monetary opportunities. I know there are going to be rules around that but to me I worry that it's going to make it a lot harder to uncover improper benefits and recruiting violations when people already are loosely following the more strict rules in place right now.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I take it you haven’t actually read the details about the NOA.
Sure. It didn't happen. I'll trust the family of this guy
upload_2020-3-6_10-8-8-jpeg.70548

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
From the beginning I thought the NCAA was reaching on the corporate sponsors are boosters because of the problems it would raise if that were true. That would mean that any gear, event etc. that a player got or attended from Nike Adidas etc would make them ineligible and would mean that an institution would face punishment if a Nike kid went to a Nike school. For example, Wigginton played on a Nike team and attended Nike sponsored events. If Nike is a booster of Iowa State due to the sole fact they are corporate sponsor, that would mean that an ISU booster provided impermissible benefits to Wigginton and he would be ineligible regardless of whether Prohm or ISU had anything to do with it. Now, that is a good way to try and eliminate shoe companies from influence but it isn't currently part of the rules as written.
Yep. If the Adidas guy is a booster then every shoe company guy is a booster of every program that has an apparel contract with that shoe company and the vast majority of P5 schools have committed infractions.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Yep. If the Adidas guy is a booster then every shoe company guy is a booster of every program that has an apparel contract with that shoe company and the vast majority of P5 schools have committed infractions.

I don't think the FBI has issues with the written contract. It's the slimy non-contract agreements between KU and Adidas that are in question. Victims......

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't think the FBI has issues with the written contract. It's the slimy non-contract agreements between KU and Adidas that are in question. Victims......
Well, actually, the FBI didn’t have any issues with KU coaches.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

How many of the other schools were getting shoe companies buying players for the school. We know that KU, Louisville, Arizona, and LSU were. That is the difference.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That was my thoughts too when I mentioned Self to the NBA. Spurs seem to be the logical place if he does. If he bolts I hope the NCAA uses that as an opportunity to hammer KU with penalties promptly as you now have Self out of the equation as he'll no longer be directly impacted and gives KU a fair transition time to know up front what challenges their next hire may have to be willing to accept vs having those penalties go into effect after they make the hire.
Self has shot this down multiple times already. If Self is allowed to coach Kansas next year then he will be the coach at Kansas and he will not be leaving Kansas until he is told that he must leave.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The FBI isnt running an investigation into anything at Kansas. They were investigating other actions and came upon this conversation including our coaches. That's it. They arent running some giant investigation into the entire sport.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Self has shot this down multiple times already. If Self is allowed to coach Kansas next year then he will be the coach at Kansas and he will not be leaving Kansas until he is told that he must leave.

LOL. He probably say this until the day before he inks a deal in SA.