Colorado Hiking Thread

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
bitter-beer-face-gif-keystone-light-lager-beer-commercial.gif
Ironically, this perfectly sums up my “hey, awesome people responded and have been hiking out there…….. oh.”

Reactions: BCClone

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Any advice? Will be there this summer. TIA

What type of hikes are you looking for? Shorter hikes to lakes, etc. or are you looking to summit something? Grays and Torreys is a great hike to bag two 14ers not far from Keystone. Can also do one of the two. Did both last summer with my 15-year-old.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What type of hikes are you looking for? Shorter hikes to lakes, etc. or are you looking to summit something? Grays and Torreys is a great hike to bag two 14ers not far from Keystone. Can also do one of the two. Did both last summer with my 15-year-old.
Both. Yes. Summit would be awesome but not necessarily a requirement. Will have time to go on long one and a couple with family. Talk to me about that hike? Length, trailhead etc

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Didn't hike out there at all but it was a lot of fun mountain biking on the fire service roads. Sorry for not having anything usefull.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Both. Yes. Summit would be awesome but not necessarily a requirement. Will have time to go on long one and a couple with family. Talk to me about that hike? Length, trailhead etc
Won't cover some of the hikes, but 14ers.com will be the best to describe the route, length, elevation gain. No 14ers are easy, but those two are some of the simpler ones although crowded.

Reactions: HoustonClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It's been a few years.

If you are looking to acclimate to elevation or do family friendly trails with younger kids, there are paved trails (Snake River) that run through Keystone Ski & Golf Course. At that point you can either take Dillon Reservoir path into Dillon or take Rec-Path over Swan Mountain. It eventually dumps out on HWY 9 which goes between Frisco & Breckenridge. Would consider this a "Suburban Hike".

In Silverthorne there is the Ptarmigan Trail which is around 13 miles out and back. There is also a shorter loop that doesn't peak.

Also, Colorado Trail (which is about 480 miles long) Segment 7 goes from Gold Hill (Between Breck & Frisco) to Copper Mountain. and is 13+ miles in length point to point- it would be an all-day hike and is moderately difficult due to elevation gain. Can always have group hike Segment 7 and those who don't want to hike spend day at Copper Mtn or meet there at end of day.

As another poster mentioned. Can do Mount Evans or Evans/Torrey if you are interested in doing 14ers. BTW you can drive to Mt. Evans peak, but the access road is back on I-70 toward Denver.

Reactions: JM4CY

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You probably have been checking out maps. A couple common trail map websites are:

AllTrails.com
HikingProject.com

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Qandry Peak is another 14er that is good in the area.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Not sure of your family member ages/abilities but one our family likes to do is start with Mt. Royal right out of Frisco - actually starts right at edge of town. It is a short (1.25 mile) but very steep climb. You can turn off it and start up 10 Mile Range and take that as far as you want.

Probably goes without saying but we lose some folks every year to it so - get started early and be off the peaks by early afternoon 2is so you don't be come a human lightning rod.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and JM4CY

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
We were out there this summer and there’s a visitor center in Silverthorne on the north side of the interstate, think it’s the first stoplight but could be 2nd. Right at the light and then another right into a strip mall. They have tons of info on all kinds of hikes and the guy we had recommended several once we told him what we were looking for. They’re all assigned grades. If you do the Dillon to Frisco (or vice versa) trail along the lake you can reserve a ride on the water taxi for your return trip. Around six miles walk one way.

Reactions: NWICY and JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Won't cover some of the hikes, but 14ers.com will be the best to describe the route, length, elevation gain. No 14ers are easy, but those two are some of the simpler ones although crowded.
How’s that little road that takes you to the TH for Grays/Torreys? I wonder how early we will need to be there and what the parking situation is like.

Help Support Us

Become a patron