Ketchup on hotdogs?

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I've always put ketchup on my hot dogs. I've seen a few shows on the travel channel that have featured hot dog places in Chicago, and I have seen multiple people say it's a sin to put ketchup on hot dogs. Is this just a Chicago thing, or is this common?

Reps for a great thread to change the subject of the past day!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ketchup, mustard, onions, and relish. And if I can get access to it (or if I'm at Five Guy's), American cheese and bacon.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The "Seattle Dog" includes cream cheese and sauteed onions and is pretty good. Normally I just do Heinz Ketchup - no othr ketchup is allowed in our house. I do like adding onions and 'kraut to a brat though, and prefer some fancy-schmancy mustard (brown, stone-ground, horseradish, etc) to French's yellow.

My wife and daughter put ketchup on everything, including steak. They also insist it be cook WELL. Last time I made steak (sirloins) I bought some thick ones and butterflied the one for the wife an girls to get theirs super well done an keep mine a nice medium. I gave the girls bites of my medium steak, an their eyes lit up and now they want me to cook steak like that all the time.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Ketchup and mustard, ketchup and mayo, ketchup and onions, or chili and cheese are the only combinations I go with. To each their own.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
The "Seattle Dog" includes cream cheese and sauteed onions and is pretty good. Normally I just do Heinz Ketchup - no othr ketchup is allowed in our house. I do like adding onions and 'kraut to a brat though, and prefer some fancy-schmancy mustard (brown, stone-ground, horseradish, etc) to French's yellow.

My wife and daughter put ketchup on everything, including steak. They also insist it be cook WELL. Last time I made steak (sirloins) I bought some thick ones and butterflied the one for the wife an girls to get theirs super well done an keep mine a nice medium. I gave the girls bites of my medium steak, an their eyes lit up and now they want me to cook steak like that all the time.

Medium is the perfect way for steak. People are usually scared to eat it that way because they mistake the juices of the meat for blood. getting a nice crusting to the steak on the outside is a must as well.

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I personally think that ketchup is just too overpowering of a condiment to be included on a hot dog. While growing up, I used to be obsessed with it on my hot dogs, but once I gave it up and moved to mustard, relish, onions, etc. I began to enjoy them soooo much more.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I personally think that ketchup is just too overpowering of a condiment to be included on a hot dog. While growing up, I used to be obsessed with it on my hot dogs, but once I gave it up and moved to mustard, relish, onions, etc. I began to enjoy them soooo much more.

Don't get me wrong. I love onions, mustard and (dill) relish too, but don't see how their tastes are not as overpowering as ketchup. To me, each and every one of those is MORE overpowering than ketchup. And sweet relish is quite overpowering if you choose that. Or maybe I should ask how much ketchup would you use to make it overpower, say, an onion?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Medium is the perfect way for steak. People are usually scared to eat it that way because they mistake the juices of the meat for blood. getting a nice crusting to the steak on the outside is a must as well.

Especially when the wife insists on getting super lean cuts like sirloin or strip steak. If I get a ribeye or t-bone and am careful with it, it's still okay when cooked well. She's asked about getting bison before and I won't do it because it's far too lean to cook to her liking.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
You're eating a tube of ground up fat and chicken bones on a 15 cent bun. Don't act like it's a delicacy. :dull:

No offense, but if that's the hot dog/frank you're eating, then you're doing it wrong.

Go get a Hebrew National 1/4 pounder. You'll thank me later.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Unless it BBQ sauce and/or ranch dressing, I don't put condiments on anything.