Kenny Wayne Sheperd at Val Air

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
I see Kenny Wayne is coming to the Val Air in West Des Moines on Dec 14. Anyone ever seen him live? I would think he puts on a pretty good live show. Probably worth checking out for $25 in a small venue.

daphins

Jun 9, 2010
I'm crazy jealous. Waited for along time for him to tour near us, he was in Okoboji (I was moving at the time) a few months ago, and now he's going to the Val Air (I'm moved now). And y'all get to see him live.

I'd be first in line if I was there. My friends in Chicago say he puts on a HELL of a show. I'm a HUGE fan of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and apparently he likes to close with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6N4WbXRu-c]Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Voodoo Child" Live - YouTube[/ame]

I like a lot of his early work, Aberdeen, Slow Ride, Blue on Black, etc. but haven't been blown away by his new stuff. He's kind of an SRV clone But still, as far as a solid electric blues guitarist, you can't get much better than him.....and SRV is gone...so next best thing. I just hope he makes it out to Portland sometime!

If you're a fan, you might want to check out Big Red Dog Music. It's (allegedly, I'm not well versed) the guys that booked shows for The Blues on Grand. They still book shows at all play. Small venue, cheap, and they have some good shows.

Big Red Dog Music – Events

I see they have Walter Trout listed on there as coming in June. He's a very good electric guitarist. I'm not a huge fan of his personal songs, but he can kill some hendrix covers (if you can get him to play them).

I saw him at All Play once...worth the $15 or $20.00. They also booked Jimmy Vaughan who absolutely killed it to a packed audience.