Kansas City getaway

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
The wife and I are going to KC for the weekend and want to know what the best place down in the Power and Light district area is. We don't want super expensive (801 Chophouse for example). It doesn't even have to be in the P&L, just in the area. Sushi or Mexican would be preferred.

We have some ideas but before I make a reservation I would like to see if I am missing anything.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
There a few good jazz clubs if you like that, not necessarily in p and l district.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
When I travel, I always try to have a dining experience that I cannot find back home.

Just from looking at the choices on Yelp, I would go for Zaina (Mediterranean, Lebanese, Greek) or the Kobe Japanese Steak House (if they have barbecued eel, GRAB it - amazing dish). But it looks as if you have plenty of other choices.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I heard something about there being good BBQ in KC. Does anyone have an recommendations? :)

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
My wife and I are going to kc this weekend for my bday and we are going to fogo de chao Brazilian restaurant for one dinner and the rest of the meals will prob be bbq.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My wife and I are going to kc this weekend for my bday and we are going to fogo de chao Brazilian restaurant for one dinner and the rest of the meals will prob be bbq.

I'm pretty sure the concept of Fogo de Chao is that you don't eat for two days before and two days after your meal. You may need to get that BBQ to go.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Fogo is an experience. it's not the best food you'll ever have, but the concept is neat enough that you'll enjoy it. And you certainly can get your money's worth if you desire.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm pretty sure the concept of Fogo de Chao is that you don't eat for two days before and two days after your meal. You may need to get that BBQ to go.
I went to a Brazilian BBQ once. You definitely need to bring an appetite and a side order or two of Lipitor

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
You didn't mention BBQ but Jack Stack is a great restaurant that is sit-down and relatively "classy" as far as BBQ goes, and they have one less than a mile from the P&L.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So I'd like to see a Brazilian steakhouse/hooters type mashup...the swords of meat they bring to your table are carried by Brazilian women in them nice little bikinis they have down there.

:yes::yes:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So I'd like to see a Brazilian steakhouse/hooters type mashup...the swords of meat they bring to your table are carried by Brazilian women in them nice little bikinis they have down there.

:yes::yes:

Does it have to be Brazilian women? Or can it just be women with Brazilians? "Research" leads me to believe the latter would be easier to find.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Does it have to be Brazilian women? Or can it just be women with Brazilians? "Research" leads me to believe the latter would be easier to find.

Well, in the larger markets they'd have official Brazilian women. In Des Moines, they'd have 250 lb'ers with Brazilians and hawk tattoos...which would take something away from the ambiance.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Well, in the larger markets they'd have official Brazilian women. In Des Moines, they'd have 250 lb'ers with Brazilians and hawk tattoos...which would take something away from the ambiance.

Not to mention, with all of the visible cesarean scars, I'd probably guilt myself into leaving bigger tips.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
gag.gif

khehr

Apr 28, 2009
Ames
I just did a weekend in KC with my two sons (10 & 8). Hit Kaufman and Arrowhead tours. Went to the zoo, Science City, Legoland and WWI memorial.

DEFINITELY check out the memorial, it is amazing and I hear the view from the top was great (I was too chicken to go up)

Food: We went to Jack's Stack BBQ one night, very good! We did take out and ate at the hotel since the wait was 90 minutes. Next night we went to Oklahoma Joe's BBQ even better, had a bit of a wait but they sell you beer while you are in line!

Now for breakfast... you HAVE to check out the Classic Cookie. This place is great. it is a VERY small place, seats maybe 25-30 but really good food and great people. Pick up some cookies when you leave!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There are a lot of interesting places just North of the P&L in the River Market, but not much for sushi or Mexican. I like Blue Nile, an Ethiopian place. Westside Local is nice for hipster types. Manny's is a popular Mexican place near the P&L. I like it, but I'm not picky.