Kade Blume

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The freshman picking up equipment after practice is just duties in my book, doesn’t demean anyone and everyone had to do it as a freshman. Pretty common everywhere.
Yes, that was what he demanded. The typical freshmen duty stuff but no hazing BS.

Coaches have to demand it and be proactive about it.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
It says other kids were involved, so it was not just his actions, and if hazing (any kind) was going on like one poster mentioned, then the coach did fail and isn’t such an upstanding person as being pushed.
One other kid was there and tried as a juvenile but Blume was the one who was charged with felony assault. They did a 6 month investigation and those were the people found guilty of any wrongdoing. My point is nobody else on the team should be treated negatively by association if they haven't done wrong. Everything I know about the head coach first and second hand tells me he's a good person who wouldn't stand for or allow something like that to happen. If reliable info comes out clearly showing otherwise I'll eat crow. An isolated incident no matter how heinous doesn't count as a failure for any coach imo.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The young man in question could have potentially been a 4 time state champion. That is rarified air. So, some major program would have offered him something. A very immature kid. He had another incident with the law a few years back involving vandalism of several vehicles. After his first title, someone on the school board told me that it was a roll of the dice if he would not get in trouble again at some point, but they hoped he would grow up. His life has changed in ways I am sure he cannot even fathom.
It is just sad. My heart goes out to the victim, the innocent wrestlers in that program (3 other of whom were ranked in the state), and the community. This incident will tear that community, which is filled with good people, apart. Even though in was not on school grounds, there is a school board meeting this week where people will be at each other's throats, even though the school followed the advice of their lawyer after law enforcement notified them. I would guess there will even be a lawsuit of some kind at some point. I feel for the family of the former coach who built that program from scratch and deservedly was put into the Hall-of-Fame for helping several decades of kids better themselves as human beings. It is a black eye for the community and wrestling in general. In the end, nobody is going to win.
Really don't have much empathy for the coach. If this type of hazing is going on within your program you're not promoting the right values.

It wasn't just one bad apple it was several wrestlers taking part. Cheering on a teammate sticking a pencil up another teammates ass is deplorable.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Elk4CY

Oct 10, 2009
Papillion, NE
My understanding is this didn't happen at school. I am not sure how widespread this hazing is, or if there is a select group pushing this narrative.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would still think code of conduct would matter.
If he’s a senior, I’ve seen this situation played out before. They say he’s innocent so you can’t really do anything and have to let the system play out. They hire an attorney and he delays it a lot and then after state they settle something and it’s too late.

Cy1980

Jul 23, 2022
If he’s a senior, I’ve seen this situation played out before. They say he’s innocent so you can’t really do anything and have to let the system play out. They hire an attorney and he delays it a lot and then after state they settle something and it’s too late.
I believe he's a Jr.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This hazing/bullying crap really pisses me off. The fact this kid was a state champ, you know he was very popular. I almost guarantee there are kids and parents that view him as the victim. I feel bad for the kid that was THE victim. He will forever be changed. It is good someone had the strength to report the issue and good the school has not tried to sweep it under the rug.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
My understanding is this didn't happen at school. I am not sure how widespread this hazing is, or if there is a select group pushing this narrative.
What difference does it make where the assault occurred?

Reactions: cyputz

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
What difference does it make where the assault occurred?
I think it matters in regards to the coaches. The coaches can’t supervise what happens off school grounds. If this or anything leading up to this was happening at wrestling then the coaches need to be evaluated for their lack of supervision/leadership.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I think it matters in regards to the coaches. The coaches can’t supervise what happens off school grounds. If this or anything leading up to this was happening at wrestling then the coaches need to be evaluated for their lack of supervision/leadership.
I agree with that. I was thinking more about the perpetrator.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
That’s a load of crap. We had guys get in trouble off school grounds for drinking, stealing, drug use, etc and before the school finalized stuff the coaches either ran them into the ground or booted them.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
That’s a load of crap. We had guys get in trouble off school grounds for drinking, stealing, drug use, etc and before the school finalized stuff the coaches either ran them into the ground or booted them.
I wasn't saying that the coaches shouldn't punish the **** out of a kid or kids. 100% they should. In fact I would personally want them to be kicked off the team immediately. If I was a parent, that would be the only answer. I was specifically talking about how the coaches supervised the kids when they were under their supervision. If this stuff or anything similar was going in the locker room, on the bus, or at practice those coaches should be fired. It is not only there job to coach, but it is also their job to supervise. It is hard to fire the coach if it was an isolated incident off school grounds. I would be shocked if it was isolated, but only those involved know.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They can get lost with any "he hasn't been found guilty yet" nonsense in letting him practice or compete. He's charged with a very serious crime against one of his peers. You have more than enough there to keep him away from your program.

Status
Not open for further replies.