K-State game in 2025 in Ireland (CONFIRMED)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It seems like more and more schools are doing this and ISU is the latest to join the trend. I nominate Cyclone Larry!

The Iowa State Athletics Department is seeking energetic, confident and professional individuals capable of working in a fast-paced environment to serve as the Host announcer at Cyclone football games. The In-Stadium host will be responsible for presenting in-game promotions and features, conducting interviews and adding to the overall excitement of the fan’s experience.

Responsibilities
  • Serve as the on-camera host during Iowa State home football games.
  • Work all scheduled home football games as well as attend pre-game rehearsals, meetings and special events.
  • Memorize all scripts and information in order to deliver a flawless performance.
  • Conduct live hits from various locations in and around Jack Trice Stadium.
  • Closely monitor the game flow and on-field action at all times.
  • Be an engaging communicator who can interact with fans of all ages and abilities.
  • Maintain a well-groomed appearance that aligns with the ISU brand.
I see Scott Siepker in this role.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Guinness is an incredibly easy drinking beer. Lots of people act like it's some kind of heavy beer and nothing could be further from the truth. It's basically a light beer, it's just got a lot of flavor punch because of the roasted barley.
I always enjoy pointing out that it has less alcohol in it that Budweiser.

That said, I'd push back on the idea that it has a lot of flavor. Compared to even US produced Irish (style) Stouts it is very bland. I always equate it to dirty water.

I hope the genuine product on the Emerald Island lives up to the hype.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I can do it. Look at my avatar.
Checks the well groomed box...
child-snow-monkey-is-helping-groom

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

That said, I'd push back on the idea that it has a lot of flavor. Compared to even US produced Irish (style) Stouts it is very bland. I always equate it to dirty water.

I just meant more flavor than your typical "light" beer that people are used to like a Busch Light.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just having a hard time seeing who this game beneifts.

Do the media partners benefit? ISU KSU odd choice. Maybe nobody else will go over.? Football across the pond has a worse chance of catching on than big 12 Mexico.. if that’s possible.

Big 12 — do we get bigger media payout for this? Is the game a national prime time game?

ISU— seems like a nightmare for actual football performance, travel, logistics… ect.

KSU — losses a home game and $ that come with it. For a game between two rabid fan bases 230 miles apart that would pack the house.

I guess the 2000 people who wanted an excuse to go to Ireland benefit.

I guess it’s an “experience” for the players, don’t see how you can spin this to win any recruits or anything.

Yes, it would be a cool experience for the very small # of people who would attend, not questioning that.
I'm not sure how that would work. Do you want the game starting in the wee hours of the morning local time?

It won't be prime time.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

I'd highly recommend the tour at the St. James Gate Brewery. I popped over to Ireland for a long weekend during a Materials Engineering study abroad at Bunnell University in Uxbridge (2003). The tour is pretty amazing and then you get to enjoy the real thing straight from the barrels.

Reactions: NWICY

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Just looked on their site for flights from Chicago for late August (this year) and it came out to just over $800/person. That was for Monday to Monday travel, with cheapest flight times, with 2nd tier economy rate option (bottom tier doesn't include a checked bag and has change fees/non-refundable). When you add in drive time/gas/parking in Chicago, you're looking at $1,000/person.

You might be able to get it down a little on a different date (though depending on timing you might have to add a hotel in Chicago on one end), and if you can slum it with only a carry on and a middle seat for 7-8 hours. Point being, $1k/person is probably fairly accurate for most people.
From Denver during that time frame currently its about $600.

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
Guinness is an incredibly easy drinking beer. Lots of people act like it's some kind of heavy beer and nothing could be further from the truth. It's basically a light beer, it's just got a lot of flavor punch because of the roasted barley.
Little known fact. Guinness was a forerunner in quality control and invented the Student T distribution to measure beer quality.

I taught math and stat at Loyola for a few years and one of my favorite sessions was when a taught the Student T with a bottle of the black stuff at the front of the class.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Little known fact. Guinness was a forerunner in quality control and invented the Student T distribution to measure beer quality.

I taught math and stat at Loyola for a few years and one of my favorite sessions was when a taught the Student T with a bottle of the black stuff at the front of the class.
brilliant-guiness.gif

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

If you want a punch with your beer, Hessian Haus has some German beer , or if you want a punch while drinking a beer , insult the Irish.;) I have Irish blood in me, so I can make fun of myself.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
K-State boards are picking up on a rumor that Kansas State vs. Iowa State has been selected as the season opening game in Ireland in 2025. (It would mean K-State would lose a home game.)

I think a Week 0 game would be on August 23, 2025, for the serious planners-ahead.

Anybody heard anything about this on our side? Still squarely in rumor zone here.
Selfishly, as a European resident this would be GD awesome

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you want a punch with your beer, Hessian Haus has some German beer , or if you want a punch while drinking a beer , insult the Irish.;) I have Irish blood in me, so I can make fun of myself.
We thought for generations that we were mostly Irish/German. Then we found out that a good portion of our Irish was actually Scottish that made a couple of generation layover in Ireland. Apparently this is more common than most people know. We had to go back about 600 years to find out. I just learned this in the last year. Kind of crazy.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
We thought for generations that we were mostly Irish/German. Then we found out that a good portion of our Irish was actually Scottish that made a couple of generation layover in Ireland. Apparently this is more common than most people know. We had to go back about 600 years to find out. I just learned this in the last year. Kind of crazy.
Look up the Ulster plantations, when the GB gov't sent over scots to farm in Ireland and displace the local population, I'd bet a lot that's where the "Scottish" came in.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
From Denver during that time frame currently its about $600.

Eh, not really.. These are the cheapest particular options for these August dates, and it's just over $700 per. Again, these are the cheapest ticket option which does not include a checked bag, is non-refundable/extra change fees if you need to change, and doesn't allow you to select a seat. Plus Denver is even more inconvenient for anyone near Central IA to get to.

I'm not saying everyone will pay $1,000 for a flight, but the majority will pay near that.

1713374941351.png

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Look up the Ulster plantations, when the GB gov't sent over scots to farm in Ireland and displace the local population, I'd bet a lot that's where the "Scottish" came in.

THIS. I always thought my family was Scottish. Then I thought Irish. Now I'm not sure, but I think the last one of my name left from what is current day Northern Ireland.