Just gonna leave this…

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
What do you and others think?

Playcalling, Pass protection, or lack of separation from our wide receivers?

I’d like to see this stat year over year from his career. I’m betting the biggest difference, if one exists, could be correlated to the lack of Lazard & Butler.

Not that his jump ball prayers were ever ideal, but they were effective with those guys.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
21 yards average implies you're slinging it around the yard every play. That's probably 12-15 net yards per toss, before catch.
I was actually wrong, it's longer than this. Air yards is yards at point of catch, past the LOS. So that's an average of 20+ yard passes where caught and closer to 30 yards from point of throw to point of catch.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I’d like to see this stat year over year from his career. I’m betting the biggest difference, if one exists, could be correlated to the lack of Lazard & Butler.

Not that his jump ball prayers were ever ideal, but they were effective with those guys.
He never played with Lazard, but the Butler point stands.

We threw the ball down field a lot when those guys were here. Even Kempt let it fly with those guys.

I think the lack of a down field passing game the last couple years was more of a WR issue than a QB issue.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Edit: I was told he couldn’t throw the ball down the field.

Actually Brock himself was told he needed to improve on throwing the ball down the field. He discusses it starting at 41:00, with that particular comment a minute later.

Maybe he's improved on that. If so, great. People grow and change. Doesn't mean that wasn't a deficit earlier in his career.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What do you and others think?

Playcalling, Pass protection, or lack of separation from our wide receivers?
Our WR this past year were bad. That and I think that being so TE heavy led to a lot more quick passing plays to TE running generally <12 yard routes. Our best receiving TE, Kolar, not really a burner either so wasn't really gonna put a lot of pressure on defenses down the seams.

Side note: I know we have one decent WR coming in, but this position is still likely to be a bit underwhelming this coming season IMO.

Reactions: MeowingCows

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Not doubting that he can throw it deep, my problem with his deep shots is they were usually floaters that required the WR to slow down and gave the defense a play. I rarely recall seeing one of our deep shots being caught in stride.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
He threw the ball down field plenty when he had receivers capable of making plays or getting open down field,
And they often made great plays on the ball to make it work. He doesn't have a noodle arm but it's still a weakness in the total package.
I love Brock and hope he blows them away.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Regardless, I wish Brock all the best in getting ready for the NFL but I'm actually really excited for Dekkers..I'll always be thankful for what Brock accomplished in Ames but I think Hunter has more upside to him. Bigger, more physical, and has a way better arm....even though I can't stand Manning's play calling, I'm hoping that with Dekkers running the offense, we have more of a spread offense in the future.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
And they often made great plays on the ball to make it work. He doesn't have a noodle arm but it's still a weakness in the total package.
I love Brock and hope he blows them away.

Everyone does. I'll never understand this thing people do where it's disloyal to constructively critique a guy who wears your uniform. It's the height of sports brain.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that the biggest issue is that teams didn't have to respect our WRs deep. That first year, he had Butler, Jones, Eaton and Milton. Second year it was Pettway, Jones, Milton. Third year it was Hutchinson, Milton (who was hurt most of the year), Shaw. And last year it was Hutchinson, Shaw, Noel. Obviously, they went more TE heavy, which translated to shorter routes. Hutchinson is a good player, but they never replaced a playmaker like Jones at M until Noel started coming on. Shaw isn't fast enough to scare anyone and it takes a really good pass to get the jump balls that he needs. They needed someone like Scates to develop and he never really did. Hopefully Gaines can come in and be a guy that can make plays down the field.

Also, our pass protection has not exactly been great. It's crazy that the guy out of all those that latches on to an NFL team is Akers, who hardly played. So far, he's been the only WR under Campbell outside of Lazard who has stuck with an NFL team. I guess you can count Butler, but he didn't do much of anything.