Jamie Pollard "State of the Union" Address for Dept.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
As long as Iowa State fans think $100/year is a lot to give without getting anything of real substance, it's going to remain smalltime in terms of P5 schools. It might uncomfortable for some to hear, but it's true. And that's not to begrudge the people that do give that. $100 is supposed to be the "thrifty" option - $8.33 a month.

Last edited:

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Does anyone "in the know" have any info about a marketing campaign going out to alumni? It seems like a slam dunk to get even minimum donations to roll in. ISU is woefully bad in that category and we need to step that up.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
As long as Iowa State fans think $100/year is a lot to give without getting anything of real substance, it's going to remain smalltime in terms of P5 schools. It might uncomfortable for some to hear, but it's true. And that's not to begrudge the people that do give that. $100 is supposed to be the "thrifty" option - $8.33 a month.

If the department intends to depend on the income, even these small donations need to be transactional: people give in order to get something, even if it something small. Otherwise they only give when they feel like it. People aren't different whether they donate $100 or $10,000. People want to know a contribution is valued in order for them to keep giving.

Reactions: Jdk

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
I think the problem with the Century level isn't necessarily that $100 is too much as it is the $200 per seat jump in ticket prices for donor sections. You're going from $399/seat to sit in section 2 to effectively $624+ to sit in section 3 (or equivalent). That's a big jump, especially if you multiply by 4. You can ask people to donate for something other than seating benefits I guess, but the numbers say that isn't working at the moment.

Maybe going back to giving new grads a year of Century benefits for free would help get more people in the door. It worked on me back when they offered it. Or you could make Captains more attractive for Gold level members, because that's kind of the other weird gap, and there's probably more money to be made there.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
You hit on the head. Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If the department intends to depend on the income, even these small donations need to be transactional: people give in order to get something, even if it something small. Otherwise they only give when they feel like it. People aren't different whether they donate $100 or $10,000. People want to know a contribution is valued in order for them to keep giving.
100% disagree. I have always given because I want to. Many years I have given and received nothing in return. I have a hard time even understanding that "I will only give if I get something." Bizarre. I give to many non-profits and get nothing in return. What the hell is going on here?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
100% disagree. I have always given because I want to. Many years I have given and received nothing in return. I have a hard time even understanding that "I will only give if I get something." Bizarre. I give to many non-profits and get nothing in return. What the hell is going on here?
We aren’t looking to donors like you. We are looking to the casual fans who want to support ISU but for whatever reason can’t do the normal stuff. It is about getting a broader base.

There are plenty of people who just give to support the school. There are a lot more who can be incentivized to donate if we do a better job.

it’s the principle that little amounts add up. Getting a coffee every day isn’t much. Say it’s $3. You do that every day for a year and it’s like $1,100.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
The expectation of tangible benefits becomes an issue. People want something for their money, and things like parking spots, seating preference, and ticket access are finite resources.

At $100, the only "benefit" is the ability to purchase football season tickets one section closer to the middle than non-donors. Everything else is subject to availability.

What "benefit" can be offered to a $25 or $50 donor that doesn't result in a net loss?

Good football, and keeping the best coach we have ever had, and one of the hottest coaches in the country?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
We aren’t looking to donors like you. We are looking to the casual fans who want to support ISU but for whatever reason can’t do the normal stuff. It is about getting a broader base.

There are plenty of people who just give to support the school. There are a lot more who can be incentivized to donate if we do a better job.

it’s the principle that little amounts add up. Getting a coffee every day isn’t much. Say it’s $3. You do that every day for a year and it’s like $1,100.
I love it......"we aren't looking for donors like you.". Hilarious.

We have plenty of people who give just to support the school???? You can never have enough of these donors...

Never understood the second grade math of $3/day = $1,100....wow. I have never bought daily coffee. Try skipping 1 out of ten days and giving the Clones $110.

You are the problem, not the solution.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I think setting up a setting up another level for seats could work now. View attachment 81211
Make the light brown the you have to donate level. I think you can do the same for Hilton. Make the corners a you have to donate level. I can come up with more but that’s what the ADs job is.

I think its great having a non donor option available. Both the light brown and dark brown are non donor seats. But many people in these areas are still donors, myself included. Others are just ticket brokers buying seats to resell.

There are options though, you could make the lower seats in these areas require a donation, and the uppers not. Providing options helps build a fan base and makes entry level donating possible to people on tighter budgets.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Does anyone "in the know" have any info about a marketing campaign going out to alumni? It seems like a slam dunk to get even minimum donations to roll in. ISU is woefully bad in that category and we need to step that up.
I absolutely love Jamie Pollard and everything he's done for ISU but yeah I have no idea what's holding them back from doing a big campaign to get the small donors. The marketing side of the athletic department under Pollard hasn't been great, IMO, and this is just another example.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I absolutely love Jamie Pollard and everything he's done for ISU but yeah I have no idea what's holding them back from doing a big campaign to get the small donors. The marketing side of the athletic department under Pollard hasn't been great, IMO, and this is just another example.
Can someone give me a ballpark number of CF subscribers vs the the 6000 CC members? What's the difference in the mix between these groups?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I think setting up a setting up another level for seats could work now. View attachment 81211
Make the light brown the you have to donate level. I think you can do the same for Hilton. Make the corners a you have to donate level. I can come up with more but that’s what the ADs job is.
Even though Hilton has no donation seating I don’t think there are many that get that deal.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If we have sold 44,000 season tickets in the past then this is approximately 14,000 people/entities that buy tickets - if the average is three tickets per account.

Let's be conservative and say there are 12,000 accounts. Rough numbers - only 50% of season ticket holders are members of the CC. These 6,000 accounts need to be members of the CC. Start with these people.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I love it......"we aren't looking for donors like you.". Hilarious.

We have plenty of people who give just to support the school???? You can never have enough of these donors...

Never understood the second grade math of $3/day = $1,100....wow. I have never bought daily coffee. Try skipping 1 out of ten days and giving the Clones $110.

You are the problem, not the solution.
Like are you trolling? No one is saying to not get donors like you. We should continue to encourage bigger donors especially $100+. I’m not advocating for turning away donors you are. All I’ve advocated is trying to get people to start donating now so they will increase their donations over the years. We just need to stop turning donors away.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin and g4ce

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

If you want a reliable stream of income "membership" in a club needs to be tangibly different from not being a member or potential donors won't even consider it in large numbers. Even the Cyclone Fanatic team knows this. I pay for the great content and community I get here even though I don't have to. Because the site owners know that, they thank us by giving us a few little things that people who don't contribute don't get. This is normal. You aren't spending money on CF for some emojis, it is just CF's way of saying thank you for being a regular contributor. It's Fundraising 101 stuff. And for ISU there is huge potential there.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If you want a reliable stream of income "membership" in a club needs to be tangibly different from not being a member or potential donors won't even consider it in large numbers. Even the Cyclone Fanatic team knows this. I pay for the great content and community I get here even though I don't have to. Because the site owners know that, they thank us by giving us a few little things that people who don't contribute don't get. This is normal. You aren't spending money on CF for some emojis, it is just CF's way of saying thank you for being a regular contributor. It's Fundraising 101 stuff. And for ISU there is huge potential there.
They used to give Cyclone Club Member window stickers. Not much but something. They have stopped that. On the one hand if you get one every year you end up with more than you would use. On the other hand if you're a new donor they should send you one. Ideally I'd say the thing to do would be a check box option (default 'no') if you want one when you do your annual renewal. Minimal cost and only those that are going to be used/displayed will be sent out. They could do the same with the Football/Basketball posters - that have also been eliminated.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I have no doubt that Pollard/AD’s office have done plenty of research and analysis to determine the best path to the most money. If/when the market supports it, they’ll require a donation for season ticket purchases, but not if it’s going to push down attendance. Success can turn on a dime, though, so it’s best not to be hasty (see: all the re-seating talk around basketball 5-7 years ago).

Also, can we all pause to appreciate the absurdity of “donating” to athletic departments that are swimming in so much TV money that they have nicer facilities and higher coaching salaries than some pro teams? Top-level college athletics is fundamentally broken. (Says the guy who went to watch a Covid-depleted basketball team play in a blizzard last night).
Your attendance is in direct contradiction to your argument. You went to such extremes to watch a bad product. And, thus, how can it be absurd a capitalistic society is taking advantage of your die-hard fandom? The absurdity starts with us.
Don't expect it to stop there. Now that we've had a taste of 'success', our absurdity will only grow. ME included. Especially, since I don't live in close enough proximity to attend games.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If we have sold 44,000 season tickets in the past then this is approximately 14,000 people/entities that buy tickets - if the average is three tickets per account.

Let's be conservative and say there are 12,000 accounts. Rough numbers - only 50% of season ticket holders are members of the CC. These 6,000 accounts need to be members of the CC. Start with these people.

Those 44k season tickets include student season tickets and Jr Cyclone Club season tickets. Unlikely that they would start donating, nor should they since they have fees that go to build the facilities (or did at least). I would guess maybe 30k regular season ticket holders.

If Suites are going well, maybe it would make money to install some on the east side along the JTC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron