ISU/UNI Predictions

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
This will defintley be fun match-up...Have Known Coach Jake for 20 Years / Coach Mac for 18. We knew each other when Mac coached Jake at UND 1989-1994, and remain friends. I am serious when I tell you both these Great Young Coaches are not looking forward to this match-up and will be glad when its over.

That being said, this game could last longer than normal (OT) I have seen both play and practice this year. ISU is much stronger on the perimiter, and UNI is a lot better down low.

It will come down to turnovers, both coaches preach take care of the basketball, who ever has the least turnovers win, a Game in the 50's
UNI has no answer for Taylor or athleticism of Clark.

Mike makes or misses at the buzzer....Take your pick

Last edited:

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
At least we know it wont be like the last time we played there when they rained 3's on Morgans zone. They will have to earn them against man 2 man. I've got my tickets to root our Clones to victory.

Cyclones 67
Panthers 61

edenclone

Oct 23, 2006
That comment about knowing McDermott's system doesn't hold water. They may know his style, but they don't know pretty much ANY of Iowa State's players. McDermott DOES know the UNI players and how the coach plays. Advantage: Iowa State.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Guys I believe that the real key to the game will be the guard play. We all know that their posts are good players and they are going to get their points. But their guards are a lot less experienced minus Brooks. If we can find a way to get in their faces and play hard nosed defense and make them struggle to get their points and the ball into the paint, then we will win. I think we have enough to get the W.

ISU: 68
UNI: 60

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Coleman and Stout are the main concern - but - they are listed at 6'6'' and 6'8'' - not awesome for our big guys - heavier, not taller. Also, they haven't replaced Jacobsen's 14.5 pt. average. Other than Coleman and Stout, the only returning starter is McKowen who is averaging 7 pts, the same as last year. The freshman 7'1'' Eqlseder is getting about 8 minutes and averages about 4 ppg. I think the Clones can battle with this team - close game - Taylor's the diff.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
My concern is Coleman. We just don't have an answer for this guy.

UNI 62
ISU 54

Now I will put on my Cardinal and Gold glasses with Navy blocker:

ISU 60
UNI 56

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
well...gmac has to know the players he recruited there and he knows very well their weaknesses i bet....as he said, this is a lose lose situation for him....he wants the best for the guys he used to coach, but he damn well better want a cyclone win more!

galles15

Jun 12, 2006
Ames, orginally from Remsen, IA
with jiri back and not horrible Ross Marsden playing that should benefit us. How we have been lookings against Minnesota and Lake Superior St. we should be pretty good. I feel we can pull off a victory especially if mike taylor is hot from the perimeter like he has been.

pttb

Jul 18, 2006
Does anyone feel that UNI has been 'sandbagging' Jordan Eglseder...basically not using him much except in games needed (i.e.-Washington)? Something to think about. He is a great talent and has had high rebounds/points per minute production.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Does anyone feel that UNI has been 'sandbagging' Jordan Eglseder...basically not using him much except in games needed (i.e.-Washington)? Something to think about. He is a great talent and has had high rebounds/points per minute production.

I watched Eglseder play prep ball. They guy is big... period. He had nothing except his size in high school. Oh sure, he's been working hard, and Coach Jake surely has made strides with the guy, but it's gonna take more time before he's a threat.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
with jiri back and not horrible Ross Marsden playing that should benefit us. How we have been lookings against Minnesota and Lake Superior St. we should be pretty good. I feel we can pull off a victory especially if mike taylor is hot from the perimeter like he has been.

The two biggest keys to the game are going to be inside production with Jiri back, and hot shooting from the perimeter - i.e., Mike Taylor. If everyone else plays pretty good we will win the game if we can have both of those things come together. Oh yeah, MAKE THE FREE THROWS!!

jkoo

Apr 21, 2006
i think it will be like the game against minnesota. we have a quick start, but trail the bulk of the middle and squeek one out. I dont see the winner winning by more than 8 (unless it turns into a free throw frenzy at the end). If we get down by more than five it will be incredibly hard to get back into it. Yes, five is a small deficit, but those kids donning the purple have a lot more to play for in this game than we do (who wouldnt want to beat the coach that brought you there, only to leave). It will be the toughest test for us this year so far, no question. I hope we dont rely on Taylor too much; its never a good thing to rely so heavily on one guy b/c if he's off, then its our own demise. Thank god its not in the McCloud center.

ISU 67
UNI 64