ISU Softball coach Jamie Trachsel to Minnesota

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Seems like s good hire. Curious as to why he'd leave a HC job at Arkansas to Ben assistant at Iowa state in 2010.

Same curiosity here since he had just made the NCAA's there the last two years. I just basing that off of the bio.

Building the Montana program from scratch and making the NCAA's that quick is pretty impressive. :cool:

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
Seems like s good hire. Curious as to why he'd leave a HC job at Arkansas to Ben assistant at Iowa state in 2010.

Did a Google search on this as I wondered what happened as well. He resigned from Arkansas and it sounds like it was because they weren't going to renew his contract. Even though he made the NCAA tournament his last 2 years there he only had 1 season with a winning record while he was their head coach so guessing they were looking for more success.

2005 (Arkansas) ... 19-43 (4-25 SEC)
2006 (Arkansas) ... 26-35 (10-19 SEC) (SEC tournament)
2007 (Arkansas) ... 21-43 (6-22 SEC)
2008 (Arkansas) ... 37-29 (8-20 SEC) (NCAA tournament)
2009 (Arkansas) ... 27-29 (10-16 SEC) (NCAA tournament)
Record at Arkansas: 130-179

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Did a Google search on this as I wondered what happened as well. He resigned from Arkansas and it sounds like it was because they weren't going to renew his contract. Even though he made the NCAA tournament his last 2 years there he only had 1 season with a winning record while he was their head coach so guessing they were looking for more success.

2005 (Arkansas) ... 19-43 (4-25 SEC)
2006 (Arkansas) ... 26-35 (10-19 SEC) (SEC tournament)
2007 (Arkansas) ... 21-43 (6-22 SEC)
2008 (Arkansas) ... 37-29 (8-20 SEC) (NCAA tournament)
2009 (Arkansas) ... 27-29 (10-16 SEC) (NCAA tournament)
Record at Arkansas: 130-179

That looks pretty pedestrian when laid out like that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So we offer 10 women's sports and have just 3 female head coaches? Doesn't look right to me.

JFC, hire the best person you can find for the job. You don't have to be a woman to be a head coach of a women's team. I have my doubts that UCONN is in any hurry to get rid of Geno.

ISU is doing nothing but losing money, pretty much on all sports except for FB and MBB. Fill the job with someone competent, hope they win at .500 and don't worry about it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
JFC, hire the best person you can find for the job. You don't have to be a woman to be a head coach of a women's team. I have my doubts that UCONN is in any hurry to get rid of Geno.

ISU is doing nothing but losing money, pretty much on all sports except for FB and MBB. Fill the job with someone competent, hope they win at .500 and don't worry about it.
Well JFC - how do you know Pinkerton was the "best person they could find?" You don't.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

JFC calm down. Its a valid discussion topic. And pretty all schools lose money on everything but MBB and FB.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Iowa State softball hasn't had a male head coach since 1977.

They haven't had a winning record since 1998.

I'm not saying there's a coincidence, but I do know for a fact our athletic department, from talking to those who work within, has made a conscious effort to hire female head coaches for softball, even if it means turning down a male with a better resume.

Jamie Pinkerton coached at Arkansas and has been a head coach for a Power 5 conference team that has gone to the postseason. He has been an assistant coach for team USA.

So anyone who is against this hire because he has a penis probably needs to set their priorities straight. I can promise you no one has a better resume than him. Not Jamie Trachsel, not Stacy G-C.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa State softball hasn't had a male head coach since 1977.

They haven't had a winning record since 1998.

I'm not saying there's a coincidence, but I do know for a fact our athletic department, from talking to those who work within, has made a conscious effort to hire female head coaches for softball, even if it means turning down a male with a better resume.

Jamie Pinkerton coached at Arkansas and has been a head coach for a Power 5 conference team that has gone to the postseason. He has been an assistant coach for team USA.

So anyone who is against this hire because he has a penis probably needs to set their priorities straight. I can promise you no one has a better resume than him. Not Jamie Trachsel, not Stacy G-C.
Well then you better tell our own Christy Johnson-Lynch she "needs to set her priorities straight;" she has been very outspoken about the lack of female college head volleyball coaches.
Also, when ISU's female women's gymnastics coach left for OU, we hired a male coach to take over, and things have plummeted. I can play that game too.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Well then you better tell our own Christy Johnson-Lynch she "needs to set her priorities straight;" she has been very outspoken about the lack of female college head volleyball coaches.
Also, when ISU's female women's gymnastics coach left for OU, we hired a male coach to take over, and things have plummeted. I can play that game too.

Again, I'm not going to make it a sex thing. Christy Johnson-Lynch has done a phenomenal job as the head coach for volleyball.

The point I'm trying to make is that softball has done its fair share of having female head coaches. I don't think that because one has a wiener, they should be eliminated from coaching a girls sport.

Honestly, I don't know anything about gymnastics. I do know that Iowa State softball has gone 40 years since having a male coach. It isn't like our department is anti-women coaching women sports.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I don't care what sex our head coach is. I just want our girls to have success. There's room for upper movement in our conference, and college softball especially is a sport where you can quickly transform a roster if you know what you're doing. I would love for our softball team to make the tournament.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
This is a great change for us in my view. Trachsel appeared to be on track but I see no reason Pinkerton can't take it up another notch based on his recent track record. We had three freshmen playing the infield this year and Sami WIlliams is going to be a star. Plus we have the top JC player, Nearad, (2 years in a row!!!) transferring in. Obviously it's all conjecture at this point but this seems to be going in the right direction, IMO.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's only a valid discussion topic if there is legitimate proof that ISU turned down a better-qualified woman to hire a man. If there is no proof of that, then it is just PC ******** and/or somebody trying to incite suspicion and distrust where none is warranted.
And now we have the control freaks deciding what are "valid discussion topics" and what are not. That's great...
And apparently it is a "valid discussion topic" to Christy Johnson Lynch, who has openly questioned the lack of female head coaches in volleyball. But hey, what does she know?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
And now we have the control freaks deciding what are "valid discussion topics" and what are not. That's great...
And apparently it is a "valid discussion topic" to Christy Johnson Lynch, who has openly questioned the lack of female head coaches in volleyball. But hey, what does she know?

What does CJL and the hiring of female volleyball coaches at other schools have to do with the hiring of a male softball coach?

Your hatred for anything related to male coaches at ISU who coach women's sports is pathetic.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron