ISU Rec upgrades...

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
:arghh: I'm out, I remembered who I was arguing with (a hawkeye) and realized they can't have sense talked into them, no matter what the argument. :confused:

You're arguing with an ISU student right now - not an Iowa fan. This conversation does not relate to sports.

And you're also arguing with another ISU student other than myself.

This post is a cop out.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I can't believe that SouthernHawk and I agree on something, but it is nice to know that there is someone else with half a brain. Everyone else sees a shiny object and they have it. Did your parents teach you no restraint?

Glad to know someone could ace through ISU Engineering with half a brain. Burn your degrees now, folks! They're worthless!

Reality is, I'm usually very fiscally tight. Sure, I splurge every once in a while like last night (celebrating completion of AerE group senior design), but for the most part, I really watch what I spend. I paid off all my credit cards and paid for my fiance's engagement ring last summer by *gasp* saving for it by living on $20 per week and keeping the temperature in my apartment around 90 all summer to save money on energy. Oh Lord! Someone please teach me the meaning of restraint!

I just don't have a lot of pity when I'm already paying about double that of anyone who's an Iowa resident (plus the joy of differential tuition). I supported it because I honestly believe I would have been able to exercise a lot more had the facilities on the west side of campus rivaled those on the east side. Besides, not everyone can just "go exercise elsewhere." There might be people with bad joints or arthritis who can't handle high-impact motion of running on the sidewalk and might need an elliptical or a pool to exercise.

But hey, it doesn't affect us, so it's not our problem, right?

And with that, I'm going to sign off for the night. I've got an Astrophysics final in just over 11 hours that I really should start studying for.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
If you want the Dept of Residence to fix up Helser, the Chem dept to fix up Gilman, and whatever other depts to fix their buildings, take it up with them. The Rec Services dept is paying for the renovations. They will be incurring the debt. Yes it affects the university overall but those other depts aren't going to pay up anything for this.

So you don't use the rec. Okay. Good for you. I don't use campus computers (use my own) or the student death (err...health...) center, but I still have to pay for those. It happens. Oh...by the way, you WON'T pay for it until you can USE it. That's one thing people definitely should have learned from the brochures, yet I'm still amazed by the number of people I hear talking on campus about how they don't want to pay for something they won't see.

And one last thing before I go to bed. Voters who want to vote no, always show up to vote. They go out of their way to vote against something they don't enjoy. They'll go to the rec for the first time in their life to vote "NO". The voters who vote yes are more likely to think "well someone else will do it..." and don't vote. Apparently the no voters who felt it important enough to say no made their statement. But MORE people voted yes, end of story. I think the saddest part of this deal is more people voted on these renovations than people who voted for GSB the last few years.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
If you want the Dept of Residence to fix up Helser, the Chem dept to fix up Gilman, and whatever other depts to fix their buildings, take it up with them. The Rec Services dept is paying for the renovations. They will be incurring the debt. Yes it affects the university overall but those other depts aren't going to pay up anything for this.

So you don't use the rec. Okay. Good for you. I don't use campus computers (use my own) or the student death (err...health...) center, but I still have to pay for those. It happens. Oh...by the way, you WON'T pay for it until you can USE it. That's one thing people definitely should have learned from the brochures, yet I'm still amazed by the number of people I hear talking on campus about how they don't want to pay for something they won't see.

And one last thing before I go to bed. Voters who want to vote no, always show up to vote. They go out of their way to vote against something they don't enjoy. They'll go to the rec for the first time in their life to vote "NO". The voters who vote yes are more likely to think "well someone else will do it..." and don't vote. Apparently the no voters who felt it important enough to say no made their statement. But MORE people voted yes, end of story. I think the saddest part of this deal is more people voted on these renovations than people who voted for GSB the last few years.

1st of all - they are not paying for this - the students are. They are controlling the project.

And yes, more people voted for this than for GSB in recent years. But maybe if the GSB spends $15,000 on marketing for students to vote, they may see a voter increase.

Oh, and finally, your argument that the "no votes turn out because they have a cause" is extremely flawed. People from both sides turn out to vote because there is a cause. I don't even know where to begin with that one, so I'll leave it alone.

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow this is a rough topic but honestly another Rec center is needed you can say what you want but putting a rec center closer to one of the biggest dorms in the country will most defininetly have an effect on the number of people exercising. If you want to get down to it you have more people become interested in exercise and fitness will actually save you money as the estimated annual costs associated with obesity is in the billions.

timjans

Apr 10, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think its great that they are upgrading the facilities. If you didnt like it you should have shown up to vote against it. I guarantee all of you that dont like the new fees didnt bother to vote.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I voted no....mainly because the 2 million dollars or however much they are spending on air conditioning is a waste. People are going to dehydrate more if it is cooler, because they won't sweat as much.

But I think I do remember lots of fliers and table tent stuff at the dining center saying "Vote Yes" but I could just have a faulty memory.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee
so could these increases in student fees be viewed as sponsoring the track team in a way? since they hold indoor track and field events in the lied rec center maybe that was taken into account on what to upgrade. just a thought

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron