Is Kansas State football going to fall off the map?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
It wouldn’t surprise me if Kansas State goes 5-4 in the conference (winning the next 5) and finish 8-4 overall. It’s difficult to convince me that there is much difference between KSU and Baylor and KSU has already played the 3 best teams in the conference.
Baylor has speed at every position, KSU does not. Baylor has a QB that can out run LB’s & some DB’s, KSU does not. Baylor has religion on their side, KSU has agriculture.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Remind me why they didn't hire the crypt keeper's son?
Name me one Power 5 program where the special teams coach was promoted to head coach.

They'll finish 4-5 or 3-6 in the Big 12 and make a bowl game. They already have one of the best OOC resumes in the entire conference.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Reading through KState message boards their fans are giving up hope on Klieman who is currently 15-14 in three years and on an 8-game Big 12 losing streak. Calling it now - Kstate falls into the Big 12 cellar for a long time. Bill Snyder (who I think is top 5 college football coach of all time) is the only one to win there in 100 years.

Prior to Snyder from 1950 - 1988 they went a putrid 103-288-5 and were one of, if not the worst, power team in college football. Snyder came in and worked miracles from 1989-2005 and went into retirement. Ron Prince took over and proceeded to go 17-20 in three seasons and the wheels fell off the wagon. The vampire came out of retirement and three years later they were back in the Cotton Bowl with 10 wins. Since his second retirement they have gone 9-11 in Big 12 play and consistently gotten worse each year.

Snyder, who is 82 years old isn't walking through the door. Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere in a small state. Literally every coach outside of Snyder has failed massively. I think the purple cats are in for a long future.

I hope they do but they have a good coach, I think they fail if they give up on him too soon. If they do…it’s off a cliff

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Bohl has been a bit underwhelming at Wyoming, solid but I expected more.
Klieman kept NDSU rolling and they continue to roll after he is gone, its just one of those programs like Wisconsin that just plugs and plays coaches.
Agree, when KSU hired Kidman I wasn't sure it was a good hire because he took over and maintained a good program but I wasn't sure he could build something at this level. KSU fans are just freaking out a bit because they still think of ISU as that bad football team and that's not the case anymore. Too soon to pull the plug on Klieman.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Also, I think KSU fans are overreacting. COVID really screwed them up last year, and they started out this year's conference slate with OU, OSU and ISU.

They'll win at Tech and Kansas, probably beat TCU at home, and could win one of WV, Baylor or @ Texas. So they'll probably be looking at 6-6/7-5 and a Liberty/Texas/Cheezit Bowl.
Not to mention an injury Thompson again.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Reading through KState message boards their fans are giving up hope on Klieman who is currently 15-14 in three years and on an 8-game Big 12 losing streak. Calling it now - Kstate falls into the Big 12 cellar for a long time. Bill Snyder (who I think is top 5 college football coach of all time) is the only one to win there in 100 years.

Prior to Snyder from 1950 - 1988 they went a putrid 103-288-5 and were one of, if not the worst, power team in college football. Snyder came in and worked miracles from 1989-2005 and went into retirement. Ron Prince took over and proceeded to go 17-20 in three seasons and the wheels fell off the wagon. The vampire came out of retirement and three years later they were back in the Cotton Bowl with 10 wins. Since his second retirement they have gone 9-11 in Big 12 play and consistently gotten worse each year.

Snyder, who is 82 years old isn't walking through the door. Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere in a small state. Literally every coach outside of Snyder has failed massively. I think the purple cats are in for a long future.

They just need to give Klieman time, the worst thing for KSU to do would become a coaching carousal like Nebby did.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yup, from a pure competition standpoint those 10 games we lost in a row to KSU from 2007 to 2017 broke me. They smoked us in 2013, but other than that, in a 10 game losing streak, we lost by the following point totals: 8, 1, 7, 7, 6, 4, 3, 5, 1. After the Arrowhead game where I took multiple beersticks before the game and we lost by 1 point after completing kind of a hail mary just to miss the extra point I was basically frothing at the mouth and needed to be put down like Old Yeller.

The picked up flags game when the Wizard was supposed to retire was the one that drove me crazy. Then he didn't even retire.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
OP’s premise is more long-term than immediate. A serious slide downward could take a few years to develop.

Specific to this season, as others have stated, K-State got some high-end challenge on front end of Big 12 schedule. But bowl eligibility is realistic, perhaps probable.

My quick-take, with some credence to game location.

BEST CASE
W at Texas Tech
W TCU
W at Kansas
W West Virginia
W Baylor
L at Texas
8-4 (5-4)
(possible swap of BU/UT results)

WORST CASE
L at Texas Tech
W TCU
W at Kansas
W West Virginia
L Baylor
L at Texas
6-6 (3-6)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think surly is fine, not overbearing, but you may know more than I and for a longer period. I'm still not sure why he comes here often. I like to think that he likes the cyclones atleast to some degree, likes the environment here and the banter, etc.

Otherwise he's OK, harmless and actually brings good discussion much of the time.
HaHa, OK. I guess there needs to be some mystery around surly, aka "Bob". Maybe he's/she's androgynous. I don't know.

They just need to give Klieman time, the worst thing for KSU to do would become a coaching carousal like Nebby did.
Ya mean like what LSU just did? A year and a half after a National Championship?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
HaHa, OK. I guess there needs to be some mystery around surly, aka "Bob". Maybe he's/she's androgynous. I don't know.

Ya mean like what LSU just did? A year and a half after a National Championship?

LSU is a way different deal than KSU IMO. The sense of having to be always above 10 wins is a top tier SEC thing with the NIL the good bag men of the SEC can make that happen. Texas's entitlement will fit right into the SEC.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Was ksu ever really on the map beyond the occasional decent success?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
LSU is a way different deal than KSU IMO. The sense of having to be always above 10 wins is a top tier SEC thing with the NIL the good bag men of the SEC can make that happen. Texas's entitlement will fit right into the SEC.
Your right of course. It just 'pooped' (sic, anything involving sec) out of the top of my head! :oops:

Still a bit of a coaching carousel at LSU.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
K State is only above Kansas as the worst job in the Big 12, what Snyder did there year after year was amazing. Snyder was using the very good JC programs in the state of Kansas to keep the programing rolling. He also followed the Fry plan of playing 3 cupcakes a year to get the program going. Only after they were winning 8 games a year did they start scheduling one decent opponent in the non conference schedule.

There just not enough talent in the state of Kansas to build a successful program year after year unless you are just a great coach, preach special teams and using under sized players to add a spark to your offense. Snyder could do it, I doubt if Kleiman will have the same success.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
K State is only above Kansas as the worst job in the Big 12, what Snyder did there year after year was amazing. Snyder was using the very good JC programs in the state of Kansas to keep the programing rolling. He also followed the Fry plan of playing 3 cupcakes a year to get the program going. Only after they were winning 8 games a year did they start scheduling one decent opponent in the non conference schedule.

There just not enough talent in the state of Kansas to build a successful program year after year unless you are just a great coach, preach special teams and using under sized players to add a spark to your offense. Snyder could do it, I doubt if Kleiman will have the same success.

It amazes me how easily ISU fans look down on the KSU program/job. You could write a very similar post to this about ISU. Population of Iowa is similar to Kansas. Population of Ames and Manhattan are similar, though Manhattan is a bit farther removed from the bigger cities. Both schools have a pitiful history. Both have covered a lot of ground upgrading facilities recently.

Honestly, KSU has a couple things in their favor that we don't. Gar better history than us over the last 30 years, which is really when it matters. Their in state rival is the worst P5 program as of today, where we have a top 25 program in ToE. And they are closer to big talent southern states.

I hope they fall off, but the reality of that is probably .500 football and bowl games most years as opposed to KU level futility.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron