Iowa State will finish last in the Big XII - Rothstein

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Do you have any Tums I can borrow?

While not to our new expectations, I do think it'll be a true rebuilding year with next year being a fringe Top 25 team and the following year a Top 20 team again. We just have so many scorers and role players to replace that I don't think people appreciate just how much of a drop-off there will be.

Again, believe in the process but the Prohman Empire wasn't built in a day.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
But you can use common sense. A team expected to be bad due to a huge loss in talent that looks as expected will continue to be thought of as bad.

That team with Fizer and Co may have had a bad game early on, but it was clear that team had the pieces to be good.

They had multiple bad games early on. All I'm saying is people are cherry picking logic to support their claims. Let's just wait and see how things go.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and CycloneErik

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
While not to our new expectations, I do think it'll be a true rebuilding year with next year being a fringe Top 25 team and the following year a Top 20 team again. We just have so many scorers and role players to replace that I don't think people appreciate just how much of a drop-off there will be.

Again, believe in the process but the Prohman Empire wasn't built in a day.

I think most rational fans expected a down year - a lot of experience and leadership lost from last year. But losing still isn't fun.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: surly and allfourcy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If Iowa State had signed a Top 5 recruit plus three others ranked from 40-75 like Texas has coming in then no one would be picking ISU last in the Big 12.

You make a good point. My post was misleading, I didn't intend to make a one-to-one current-season comparison ISU vs UT. I should've said something like, if Texas had ISU's situation I'd be surprised to see promising newcomers as "but they're still just freshmen," I'd guess it'd been seen as infusion of young talent. I probably over-reached with my analysis.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It just dawned on me about the thread title "Iowa State will finish 10th." With some frequency through the years, it would have been a football thread. And we'd be discussing whether it's unfair to put ISU lower than 8th or 9th.

Separate observation: Was Iowa State have a common last-place preseason pick in MBB even during latter years of McD era plus Fred's first couple of seasons? ... I realize it was 12 Big 12 teams instead of 10, so it's not easy to compare. I know there were some low finishes expected between about 2008 and 2010, don't remember specifics.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I still think 6th is the ceiling, although being honest that may hinge on mid-pack logjamming.

We're going to need to bring in Jackie Treehorn to run this thing then.
876585003626_1080W_1080H.jpg

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
It just dawned on me about the thread title "Iowa State will finish 10th." With some frequency through the years, it would have been a football thread. And we'd be discussing whether it's unfair to put ISU lower than 8th or 9th.

Separate observation: Was Iowa State have a common last-place preseason pick in MBB even during latter years of McD era plus Fred's first couple of seasons? ... I realize it was 12 Big 12 teams instead of 10, so it's not easy to compare. I know there were some low finishes expected between about 2008 and 2010, don't remember specifics.

I don't know about the history of preseason picks, but I will note that this year's Big 12 is expected to be especially brutal. Picking Iowa State to finish ninth or 10th is more a testament to how many good teams this league has, rather than disrespect towards Iowa State. The reality is that it is a tough year to be rebuilding in the Big 12.

But Iowa State has always been at their best when nobody expects anything out of it. Will they be able to put together a tournament resume? I can't say, but I'm excited to see what this team is capable of. There are some really nice looking pieces on this team.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't know about the history of preseason picks, but I will note that this year's Big 12 is expected to be especially brutal. Picking Iowa State to finish ninth or 10th is more a testament to how many good teams this league has, rather than disrespect towards Iowa State.

That fits closely with a Bold Predictions column at ESPN, by Paul Sabin:

“Every Big 12 team will enter the conference tournament at .500 or better overall.”

I could see that happening.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think the part that is rubbing me and others the wrong way is the insistence that we can’t gel and finish well. I think 10th is possible but the ceiling is just as extreme.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jer

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Always tickled by these preseason pundit picks. They are most always wrong. SI's top 4 football preseason ranking was:

1. Alabama currently #2
2. FSU currently unranked
3. oSu currently #15
4. Ohio State currently #13

Currently #1 UGA was unranked.

And these are the elites. How the hell does anyone know the outcome of TxT or ISU hoops? It's silly filler fodder, totally unworthy of fan fuss.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
People need to understand there has always been pre season rankings and always will be - what else do you expect sports writers and fans to do in the offseason?

Yes they’re always wrong - because it’s an educated guess based on a bunch of assumptions that may or may not come to fruition over the following 6 months. If you don’t think preseason rankings are worth talking about, there are a million other threads on here you could be looking at instead.

• Dislike
Reactions: surly and Doc

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the part that is rubbing me and others the wrong way is the insistence that we can’t gel and finish well. I think 10th is possible but the ceiling is just as extreme.

Huge difference between a stated opinion and insistance. Everybody on here expecting the team to struggle would pay good money to be wrong, that doesn’t mean they can’t casually state their expectations.

I don’t insist we’ll be in the bottom 3rd of the league, though I realistically anticipate it based on all the variables. If I insisted anything, it would be we win a National Championship in March.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
All I know is I expect ISU to finish 7-9 and that I am stoked for the game tomorrow!

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
People need to understand there has always been pre season rankings and always will be - what else do you expect sports writers and fans to do in the offseason?

Yes they’re always wrong - because it’s an educated guess based on a bunch of assumptions that may or may not come to fruition over the following 6 months. If you don’t think preseason rankings are worth talking about, there are a million other threads on here you could be looking at instead.
Didn't write that they were not worthy of chatter. I wrote they are mostly wrong, and thus, people shouldn't get their panties in a wad about them. Carry-on ...