Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Updated title and moved from ISU Football to ISU General subforum.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
These are a significant downgrade. We finally had good uniforms even if they could use some tweaks but we went back to absolute crap.
View attachment 128573
View attachment 128574

Seriously compare the two. We went from something moderately unique to something super standard. Aside from that the execution was just bad. They didn’t solve the issues with the existing set and made some pretty baffling decisions.

Hopefully it is just the images but it appears they have gone back to ketchup and mustard colors. The stripes on the red uniforms are downright bad. They also didn’t even fix the biggest issue which was the lack of cardinal or gold on the black uniforms.
After this I'll be done complaining I swear... but I agree, our previous unis were actually unique and just needed some updating.
Add some white accents to the red jersey to tie into the white pants better, move the shoulder number to the top of the shoulder and make the shoulder design much larger and add a white accent to it (it would be covered up half the time the way the jerseys are super tight). And add a pant stripe or design.

They got striped away all the unique design elements of the previous unis and replaced all that with plain colored stripes on the shoulder and that's it I think If they were going for a more old school look they should have just done the different size stripes like the chiefs or packers.
Anyways that just my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: ABECyguy and t-noah

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
I think they are great. Simple and classy. The only thing I would have loved to see is "CYCLONES" on the front of the home jersey. I love how the men's basketball team has that on the front of the white home jerseys. It's subtle, but a nice touch. There are no other teams called Cyclones. Love when we promote it.

Other than that, I'm a fan. Really like the addition of gold pants. Cardinal tops with Gold pants would be a great regular home uniform.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
What would you do
At least have the colors not clash. Specifically the two main colors of Iowa State. Cardinal and Gold. Not ketchup and mustard. Looks like Cardinal helmets with ketchup jerseys and mustard stripes.
Well, and as I look at these more, welp! The design is not great and it starts with the shoulder stripes. It moves on from there. It might have been better with some pant or helmet stripes (at least for the white and gold pant). The choice of the shoulder stripes indicates to me they wanted no stripes elsewhere. They would have been problematic to match thruout the set.

Beyond that, I'm amazed that they appear to have brightened our cardinal that we've had for the past 16 years. Either that or Nike whiffed on getting the shade right. And we whiffed on allowing it and accepting it. The cardinal helmet is now uncomfortably much darker than the cardinal jersey, visually. A little bit darker is acceptable, but what I'm seeing is more than that.

The numbers are questionable, as some have said, they do look stretched lengthwise, too much. Perhaps more reveal with different angles and consistent lighting, I'll change my mind on the colors and numbers.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I know the process - but on the actual uniforms it causes it to stand out even more since the shoulder pad fabric is basically matte.
Sorry, and I agree. I didn't mean to make it sound like you didn't know.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jer

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Or get rid of the white helmet w/ black logo and have a gold helmet instead.
I don't believe the white helmet with the black logo is a different helmet. That is just the equipment department changing out the decals and bumpers, IMO. It's work but I don't think that's a huge deal for them, as long as they are not doing it frequently.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I think we all need to wait and see what it all looks like on game day when we are sitting in the stands with a good buzz.

• Winner
Reactions: MugNight

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
We can start working on the next change now. :)

Yeah, I thought no stripes in the pants (white pant for sure, possibly the cardinal pant as well (and the gold), was a strong possibility. The black pants do not need a stripe! That is for certain, I think.

But they were limited in what they could do, with the selection of the 5 stripe (white predominant) shoulder stripe. With that pick, Stripes were a little more busy and hard to figure. So they went no pant helmet stripes, again.

The no stripe (pant and shoulder) has a certain value. It's a cleaner, more basic look. Check that box anyway. The maintenance on the helmets are easier. I would have liked to have seen a stripe in the helmet or pant.

Next time!
If you have time do you think you could take that picture of Noel in C/W/W from the promo today and inverse the colors of the numbers? I'm curious how the gold would look wrapped in cardinal and I think it would look awesome with the gold pants.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
After this I'll be done complaining I swear... but I agree, our previous unis were actually unique and just needed some updating.
Add some white accents to the red jersey to tie into the white pants better, move the shoulder number to the top of the shoulder and make the shoulder design much larger and add a white accent to it (it would be covered up half the time the way the jerseys are super tight). And add a pant stripe or design.

They got striped away all the unique design elements of the previous unis and replaced all that with plain colored stripes on the shoulder and that's it I think If they were going for a more old school look they should have just done the different size stripes like the chiefs or packers.
Anyways that just my opinion.
Complain away. Your points are valid.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If you have time do you think you could take that picture of Noel in C/W/W from the promo today and inverse the colors of the numbers? I'm curious how the gold would look wrapped in cardinal and I think it would look awesome with the gold pants.
Happy to do that. I'm going to wait a few days and let all this reveal sink in, though.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Regarding the use of alternate or retro logos, I believe Pollard said the coaching staff and decision makers for each individual team have full access and discretion to use whatever is within the marketing guidelines and style guide for uniforms. Really sad that we don’t leverage much outside of I-State. The Trice stripes were definitely a start though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Regarding the use of alternate or retro logos, I believe Pollard said the coaching staff and decision makers for each individual team have full access and discretion to use whatever is within the marketing guidelines and style guide for uniforms. Really sad that we don’t leverage much outside of I-State. The Trice stripes were definitely a start though.
Campbell must fancy making the I State sacred which makes me want to puke. If we wore the updated tornado like was posted a page or so back I'd probably die from over joy.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Campbell must fancy making the I State sacred which makes me want to puke. If we wore the updated tornado like was posted a page or so back I'd probably die from over joy.
I doubt Campbell cares either way. He often wears gear that doesn’t have the I State on it.

At minimum, we should be using alternative logos on the helmets. That’s has to be cheap and I would guess each helmet gets reworked after each game so it’s not like the EQ staff doesn’t have the time to switch them out week to week.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I doubt Campbell cares either way. Most of his gear he wears doesn’t have the I State on it.

At minimum, we should be using alternative logos on the helmets. That’s has to be cheap and I would guess each helmet gets reworked after each game so it’s not like the EQ staff doesn’t have the time to switch them out week to week.
Just takes the interest from Campbell to give enough of a **** to put the effort towards making it happen. Imma put that likelihood at around .001% chance.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Among things I would change, within the same template -- cardinal jersey, shoulder stripes should be gold-white-gold-white-gold. White "floats" at the edges and I think it'd be make the white strip/white numeral more complementary.

Note: That's seeing it from front-on view, may not matter much.