Iowa State Uniform Discussions

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That is a great looker. It would be with black helmets too which would make coach happier. Can you make that on here to see?
Shouldn't be too hard. I'll get to it soon enough. Thanks for the input.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It is funny we use I-State logo but never the word?
Very true. It's one of those things that works though, the new I-State logo.

But you're right. Nobody calls us 'I-State'. K-State has that one locked. For us, it's still ISU or maybe the Cyclones. History runs deep.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I like that combo too. I still think a stripe on pants (small and red & white for the golds) would tie everything together.
I agree, and I'll get there one of these days. For me, the biggest and best immediate change would be if we were able to add a darker gold and start using it more in the football uniform. The 'other' stuff and new designs could follow that.

Reactions: Billups06

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I agree, and I'll get there one of these days. For me, the biggest and best immediate change would be if we were able to add a darker gold and start using it more in the football uniform. The 'other' stuff and new designs could follow that.
Here are the gold pants to copy when the next uni refresh comes around (not the helmet gold). And gold pants do need cardinal stripes (one or two is fine).

Soocity

May 8, 2023
I don't care for the gold headgear at all. White is nice look though, in that picture above. I would like to see my favorite black headgear over those cardinal and gold threads. That would be dominent.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are the gold pants to copy when the next uni refresh comes around (not the helmet gold). And gold pants do need cardinal stripes (one or two is fine).

Absolutely. I'd be fine if they just added our '70's gold. Although I do like playing around with photoshop! :) [I only do it because I think the time is right. LET's GO!]

Here is another angle of the Shaggy 'winning' kick against Iowa in '07, courtesy of WesWinterink.
1a 1 Wes'Pics3 ShaggyWinningKick g-w-g 2007.jpg
Boy, '07 and '08 were rough years.

And, for contrast, I think this is Todd Doxzon 1994, the last year with this similar uniform set. It however, has the brighter, current gold/yellow.
ISU Unis ToddDoxzon y w y.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't care for the gold headgear at all. White is nice look though, in that picture above. I would like to see my favorite black headgear over those cardinal and gold threads. That would be dominent.
OK, I'll work on that. I do like the b/c/c combo, although I'm not sure if we even saw that look last year?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Soocity

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We have had our "new" yellow/gold since 1983 now. That's a long time. And I'm not saying the gold in the images of my last couple of posts weren't too dark, they were. But I'm not sure if some on here remember the sunflower gold we had in the late '60's thru 1982. It was fairly dark.

Here are a couple of old football games before 1983 (the color change), to make the point that our gold back then was pretty dark.

Unfortunately the resolution is not the greatest for either of these.

I think they may have overdone it with the color change of our gold, in 1983. It went from maybe a tad too dark (debatable) to too bright now (also debatable).

Does anyone know what the hex code was for our '70's sunflower gold?

those 1978 jerseys are fantastic. Yeah, the gold on the helmet and pants is a little off, but the cardinal/gold combo is so much easier on the eyes than our current set

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm really digging W/C/G
I started to consider it as a combo option, then began liking it more and more also, after you posted a white/red/gold combo from some team out west, iirc (Wyoming?).

Anyway, it would be a cool option. We can't have it unless we get a darker gold. I don't think I'd like it with our present yellow.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
We have had our "new" yellow/gold since 1983 now. That's a long time. And I'm not saying the gold in the images of my last couple of posts weren't too dark, they were. But I'm not sure if some on here remember the sunflower gold we had in the late '60's thru 1982. It was fairly dark.

Here are a couple of old football games before 1983 (the color change), to make the point that our gold back then was pretty dark.

Unfortunately the resolution is not the greatest for either of these.

I think they may have overdone it with the color change of our gold, in 1983. It went from maybe a tad too dark (debatable) to too bright now (also debatable).

Does anyone know what the hex code was for our '70's sunflower gold?

those 1978 jerseys are fantastic. Yeah, the gold on the helmet and pants is a little off, but the cardinal/gold combo is so much easier on the eyes than our current set
Does anybody remember if those '78 Hall of Fame Bowl uniforms were a special 'one-off' for that game only? Because I don't think the cardinal Home jersey had the shoulder stripes like the Away white jerseys.

But yes, those were nice.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Does anybody remember if those '78 Hall of Fame Bowl uniforms were a special 'one-off' for that game only? Because I don't think the cardinal Home jersey had the shoulder stripes like the Away white jerseys.

But yes, those were nice.
The 76-77 home jersey was without stripes, the 1978 home jersey had the varsity stripes seen in the bowl game

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Good to know. So there should be a correction on the link I gave.
Thank you, Land Shark.
Here's a pic of Dexter Green wearing stripes against SDSU

Here's a game program vs Neb 1978 - presumably the photo on the cover is from 1977?

Reactions: t-noah and CYCLNST8

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Here's a pic of Dexter Green wearing stripes against SDSU

Here's a game program vs Neb 1978 - presumably the photo on the cover is from 1977?

If you follow the link to Dexter Green photos, all four are from 1978 & they have stripes in each photo