Iowa State picked 6th in Big 12 WBB Preseason Poll

Discussion in 'Women's Basketball' started by simville02, Oct 10, 2012.

1. simville02

simville02 Member

Mar 25, 2009
    RSStover,WKG,Menards
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
  2. Buster28

Buster28 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4 / -0
    I think we can do better than that if the new guards can play at all. Would LOVE to see Purple Kansas finish that far down. Good stuff!

3. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Ratings:
    +1,555 / 85 / -0
    Dear Lord. Britney frikkin Griner.

I'm not going to say any sexist remarks because, even if she is a man, she is a great ball player.

4. simville02

simville02 Member

Mar 25, 2009
    RSStover,WKG,Menards
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Not only Griner. They have Hayden, Madden, Williams, and Pope for seniors. Also can't forget Odyssey Sims. Impressive group.

5. statsaholic

statsaholic Member

May 17, 2006
    Sloan, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    No offense, but you already did.. The man comments are really tired and inappropriate. Please desist, clones.... it is tired and old...

• Like Like x 1
  6. mred

mred Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    SE WI
    Ratings:
    +292 / 0 / -0
    If the guards mature quickly and injuries are held to a minimum, this team could finish as high as #2. I think #4-#6 is a realistic range.

• Like Like x 1
  7. statsaholic

statsaholic Member

May 17, 2006
    Sloan, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Meaning it should be a great year.. fun and exciting, if things go well.. Look forward to reading more Mred posts as well.... THanks in advance...

8. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Ratings:
    +1,555 / 85 / -0
    I just think Baylor is really going to run away with it this year. Again. I would be shocked if they weren't undefeated. Hell, I would be shocked if the don't win by double digits every game.

9. simville02

simville02 Member

Mar 25, 2009
    RSStover,WKG,Menards
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Terran Condrey, Ashley Field, and Lindsay Palmer were Baylor's graduates from last season. Condrey led that trio with 14 minutes played in the championship game. The other two played one apiece. Baylor should be a very, very good team this go-round

10. StClone

StClone Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +281 / 12 / -0
    Lady Bears will be a bear to beat.

Connecticut is ranked second in preseason and I don't see others to compete with Baylor barring a Griner injury. Baylor is an easy pick to take it all again this last Griner go round. Interesting in preseason looks is Stanford has Greenfield as a starting SF and two former BIG XII members Nebraska and A@M being in the top 25 and newcomer WV, too. What will top teams throw at Baylor's Griner to slow them down will be interseting starting November 16 in the Rainbow Classic against Stanford. Baylor sees Notre Dame and Tennessee prior to BIG XII season play.

Iowa State was one of the last ten teams to beat Baylor in the past three years.

11. Three4Cy

Three4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    This is a fair assessment, the race will be for spots 2-6 to gain the opening day off at the conference tourney. I believe Texas is overrated at 5 since they lost three seniors who all played a lot of minutes and replacing their two of three guards.

I do believe Ok. State may be underrated, however a very weak non-conference schedule could come back to bite them come conference season, thus the #7 spot in the polls.

12. twistedredbird

twistedredbird Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Executive Director
    Midwest
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    traditionally, yes, but this year I don't think Notre Dame nor TN will be good tests for Baylor. Notre Dame is very young in the post, and Tn is young all the way around. Really, TN shouldn't be ranked this pre-season.

13. cydney

cydney Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    With the talent on this team, despite the inexperience, there is enough leadership and experience among returning players that a top 4 finish should be realistic and expected. I hope so anyway.

Seems like we should be better prepared than Texas. If Kansas stays healthy, they have the athletes and will be tough, but no one that we cannot match up with. Likewise for OU. I don't know much about WVU, other than their reputation. ISU has the players and the system to go toe to toe with any of them.

ISU has (almost) always given Baylor a challenge, and this year should be no different with the athletes that we have. Should be very exciting.

14. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    Ratings:
    +317 / 18 / -0
    Ok, call me crazy now, but last year ISU was one of be few teams in the conf. To play Baylor tough at home and on the road. It's our defense that makes us different from other teams. Yes, we will have to have a near perfect game, but I think beating Baylor is entirely possible. To me the difference makers this year will be Prins (healthy) and guard depth.

15. EHdakota

EHdakota Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Accountant
    Sioux Falls
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That makes two of us then.

16. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +8,084 / 160 / -0
    We will have to wait and see if the young kids we will have at guard can play the defense we have seen recently from some of our more experienced Cyclone guards. Can Hagedorn be a defensive stopper or spark like we had with Cole and Stuckey?

17. 907CY

907CY Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Male
    retired
    Northern Polk County
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    With three starters coming back and one of them and all big12 pick then I thought we would be picked 3rd or 4th. Anyway that you look at it, we will have a good season and will make it back to the dance. Go Clones.

18. BenEClone

BenEClone Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Lincoln, Ne
    Ratings:
    +88 / 2 / -0
    We could have a pretty good team, a Sweet Sixteen contender and still struggle for a top half finish in the Big XII. That's how tough this conference is.

19. twistedredbird

twistedredbird Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Executive Director
    Midwest
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    In some ways, I think folks underestimate this squad because of the youth, but in reality, we return 85% of our scoring, and have added two quick aggressive scorers to the guard squad, who both say they like to play defense. The physical conditioning also seems to be above standard which has hurt us late in the season the last couple years.

If anything, I am just excited to see this squad play. I am excited to see Anna have a healthy year. I am excited to see Hallie "find" herself and be stronger and have a big year. I am excited to see Emiah and Kidd on the court. I am excited to see what I think is probably the fastest guard court and strongest front court we have had on the court at the same time.

She deserves a big year, and she could certainly put up some big numbers for us, and clearly she is our best hope of beating Baylor - she has always had a big game against them, and her size/height combo does bother Griner.

Big 12 is definitely deep this year, so it will be an interesting race.

A lot rests on Moody's shoulders. I am probably her biggest fan but she can't get "lost" this year like she did last year in some games.

20. StClone

StClone Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +281 / 12 / -0
    Actually two starters. Anna played much but seldom started. I posted elsewhere that if that trend holds the starters would be: Hallie, Nikki, Brynn, Popmonster and one of the two Frosh.