Iowa State interested in Temple transfer, Jeremiah Williams

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
I personally think Lipsey takes some of Tre’s minutes (more natural point guard) and this option could come in and play 1-3, which could be nice having the flexibility.

His numbers could improve being off the ball and he had a torn labrum last season. He didn’t take too many 3’s (52). The year before he shot 32 percent.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Halincandenza

MattCampbell

Mar 12, 2021
I honestly think that TJ is going to continue to take defensive minded players out of the portal and recruit offensive players out of high school and build his system out of that. That way we are consistent and are building a culture while bringing in better players. You can hit home runs in the transfer portal but that only lasts so long.

Last edited:

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
I honestly think that TJ is going to continue to take defensive minded players out of the portal and recruit offensive players out of high school and build his system out of that. That way we are consistent and are building a culture while bringing in better players. You can hit home runs in the transfer portal but that only lasts so long.
That sounds good in theory, but you are depending on HS kids to carry your offense.

I think recruiting isn’t as easy as looking for defensive stoppers or guys who can score. Look at Oregon State or Nebraska. They got tons of transfers and they didn’t fit well.

I think you need to first figure out if the guy fits with your team, does he work hard, and does he have skills that help us win.

I think this last bunch of transfers fit well together and he snagged them off a 2 win season. I know we are anxious but I think this staff knows what they are recruiting.

Last edited:

MattCampbell

Mar 12, 2021
I’m not saying the new guys “carry” the team. I’m just saying they are more offensively proficient while still pushing the defensive mentality. That keeps up culture and expands the offensive game plan over time. I’m sure TJ has a “big” plan.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Perhaps, but we're also likely getting hung up on one stat- 3P shooting.

He's not that bad on offense. He's an athletic 6'5" pg with two good years of starting experience in the AAC, can create some and has solid assist numbers. His overall offensive numbers are decent- better efficiency, effective shooting %, and FT rate than our three starting guards.

Not to insult Gabe, but if Williams is a pg, he helps this offense starting next to Hunter. More pg skills, and I'd rather have 23% on 52 three-point attempts than 23% on 170 three-point attempts.

His 3P shooting may not be great last year, but it was better as a freshman, and some guys do improve.

Then you add his defense, a tough guard from Chicago (Simeon as a senior), able to defend 1-3, and the risk we have of losing multiple guards this year- we should be interested.

“Williams is an electrifying player,” Ademokya said. “He’s a dog on defense, from Chicago, so you know, the guy hard on and off the court

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Perhaps, but we're also likely getting hung up on one stat- 3P shooting.

He's not that bad on offense. He's an athletic 6'5" pg with two good years of starting experience in the AAC, can create some and has solid assist numbers. His overall offensive numbers are decent- better efficiency, effective shooting %, and FT rate than our three starting guards.

Not to insult Gabe, but if Williams is a pg, he helps this offense starting next to Hunter. More pg skills, and I'd rather have 23% on 52 three-point attempts than 23% on 170 three-point attempts.

His 3P shooting may not be great last year, but it was better as a freshman, and some guys do improve.

Then you add his defense, a tough guard from Chicago (Simeon as a senior), able to defend 1-3, and the risk we have of losing multiple guards this year- we should be interested.

“Williams is an electrifying player,” Ademokya said. “He’s a dog on defense, from Chicago, so you know, the guy hard on and off the court

I agree, especially when many of the losses, including against Miami, had the additional problem of not being able to handle ball pressure and turning it over a bunch. Even while averaging 2.2 turnovers last year, he still had a better assist to turnover ratio than all of Iowa State's players except Grill.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Maybe they think he can get back to the 32% 3 his freshman year

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think we should get a jump on the 2022-23 season and pin a “Why does Jeremiah Williams get so many minutes?” thread that can be bumped after every bad or good game.
How about why isn’t Jeremiah Williams getting any minutes thread?