Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Their DRtg's are all within 0.5 point of each other and Connor is a better rebounder. Connor has almost a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio and is a better shooter than Nixon.

I mean I know you doubled down hard on Connor being terrible but he has turned into a serviceable player this year.

Nixon is awful and Jackson is not better than Connor.

Nixon and Connor are awful I'll give you that. Jackson has some potential moving forward. He's a great on ball defender for a true freshmen. He still has work to do when he's off the ball

• Disagree
Reactions: Gitwitit

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Imagine having your best guard (Bolton) shooting 40% from the floor with 63 turnovers on the year to 61 assists. Bolton has the same DWS as Connor as well.

Haliburton is/was our best guard. If Wieskamp got hurt your best guard would be Frederick or Toussaint and they're worse than Bolton

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Nixon and Connor are awful I'll give you that. Jackson has some potential moving forward. He's a great on ball defender for a true freshmen. He still has work to do when he's off the ball
How can you lead the nation in assist to turnover ratio while playing 30+ mins and be awful? I mean, honestly, taking care of the ball and putting teammates in good position to score is a huge part of the game. He shoots basically the same % from 3 as Bolton who is supposed to be a scorer.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Heres an interesting question from a post on HR. Who wins in a matchup between Iowa in Fran's 1st season and ISU's group the rest of the season?

Cartwright/Jackson
Gatens/Bolton
May/Nixon
Basabe/Jacobson
Cole/Young

Bench would be:

Brommer/Conditt
Marble/Lewis
McCabe/Griffin

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Heres an interesting question from a post on HR. Who wins in a matchup between Iowa in Fran's 1st season and ISU's group the rest of the season?

Cartwright/Jackson
Gatens/Bolton
May/Nixon
Basabe/Jacobson
Cole/Young

Bench would be:

Brommer/Conditt
Marble/Lewis
McCabe/Griffin

Imagine having a team in the top 25 and discussing this

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
While I agree with you, still pretty crazy that you could even have a debate about that.

I mean Buddy was trying to debate Toussaint and Connor were better than Bolton. Many Iowa fans tried to debate Stanley over Purdy. All it takes is some idiots to start spewing nonsense

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I mean Buddy was trying to debate Toussaint and Connor were better than Bolton. Many Iowa fans tried to debate Stanley over Purdy. All it takes is some idiots to start spewing nonsense
I will still debate that Connor is better for Iowa than Bolton would be. Iowa does not need a guy shooting 39.8% from the field chucking up 15 shots a game and turning it over 4 times a game. Connor does not shoot the ball well and limits his shots to 5 a game. He understands taking care of and passing the ball is his role on this offense and he does it as efficiently as anyone.

Bolton is better for ISU because even if he doesn't do it efficiently, they need someone to score. That's not Connor's skillset.

Connor is Iowa's Draymond Green. If you ask Green to be Golden States top 1 or 2 scorer, he doesn't do it well. He's better off as the 4th or 5th option and doing everything else at a high level. ***of course I do not think Connor McCaffrey is as good as Draymond Green.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I will still debate that Connor is better for Iowa than Bolton would be. Iowa does not need a guy shooting 39.8% from the field chucking up 15 shots a game and turning it over 4 times a game. Connor does not shoot the ball well and limits his shots to 5 a game. He understands taking care of and passing the ball is his role on this offense and he does it as efficiently as anyone.

Bolton is better for ISU because even if he doesn't do it efficiently, they need someone to score. That's not Connor's skillset.

Connor is Iowa's Draymond Green. If you ask Green to be Golden States top 1 or 2 scorer, he doesn't do it well. He's better off as the 4th or 5th option and doing everything else at a high level. ***of course I do not think Connor McCaffrey is as good as Draymond Green.

Bolton shoots over 40% and is taking tough shots. Connor shoots 34% and only shoots when he's wide open. Connor aka Draymond averages 1 more assist per game than Bolton

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Bolton shoots over 40% and is taking tough shots. Connor shoots 34% and only shoots when he's wide open. Connor aka Draymond averages 1 more assist per game than Bolton
I stand corrected. Bolton is at 40.6% this year and under 40% for his career. His shots are not all tough. He got plenty of open looks with Haliburton at the point. The point still stands. Connor does only average 1 more assist per game but 1.8 less turnovers as well. If Bolton is going to be "the man" for ISU the next two years, they are going to be in trouble unless he gets major help.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I stand corrected. Bolton is at 40.6% this year and under 40% for his career. His shots are not all tough. He got plenty of open looks with Haliburton at the point. The point still stands. Connor does only average 1 more assist per game but 1.8 less turnovers as well. If Bolton is going to be "the man" for ISU the next two years, they are going to be in trouble unless he gets major help.

Well I'd hope Connor turns it over less since nobody guards him

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Said everyone in the history of basketball about every player that's ever played basketball.

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY