Iowa Football Recruiting

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I'm not sure how many other programs have the specific policy, but know for sure that Michigan State, Oregon and Alabama all have it. I think it's generally understood at all schools, policy or not, that when you commit somewhere, you've turned off your recruiting and moved your focus to the school you're committed to. If you look at the timeline on just about any player, there are no other visits after they commit.

Benjamin was clearly a situation where he lied about it and caught, thus he lost his scholarship. Noah Fant, on the other hand, told the coaching staff in advance that he would like to visit Nebraska and they allowed him to do so.

https://247sports.com/Player/Noah-Fant-66764/high-school-117328

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Does that not make the "no visit" policy a complete and total waste in practice?

No.

Lets say Iowa is taking 3 LB's and they already have 3 commits. One of the 3 decides they want to take more visits and decommits. A different target at LB then wants to commit then the guy who backed out is SOL and would lose his spot if he wanted to commit again to Iowa.

KF likens it to dating. You are dating if you are verballed. If you feel the need to break that commitment and look around then the Iowa coaches will do the same and your spot may not be available if you want to commit again at a later date.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I'm not sure how many other programs have the specific policy, but know for sure that Michigan State, Oregon and Alabama all have it. I think it's generally understood at all schools, policy or not, that when you commit somewhere, you've turned off your recruiting and moved your focus to the school you're committed to. If you look at the timeline on just about any player, there are no other visits after they commit.

Benjamin was clearly a situation where he lied about it and caught, thus he lost his scholarship. Noah Fant, on the other hand, told the coaching staff in advance that he would like to visit Nebraska and they allowed him to do so.

Fant did it, Reiff did, Ott did it and all ended up Hawkeyes.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
No.

Lets say Iowa is taking 3 LB's and they already have 3 commits. One of the 3 decides they want to take more visits and decommits. A different target at LB then wants to commit then the guy who backed out is SOL and would lose his spot if he wanted to commit again to Iowa.

KF likens it to dating. You are dating if you are verballed. If you feel the need to break that commitment and look around then the Iowa coaches will do the same and your spot may not be available if you want to commit again at a later date.
So you're telling me that if a 4-star kid decommits for 4 months and wants to come back later, he's told he can't because another 3-star or other lesser recruit took his spot?

That just sounds like bad/unnecessary business strategy, but alright. That's why I'm not a recruiter.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: breck53 and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Alabama definitely doesn't have that policy. They have committed kids visit other schools and Saban brags about it because how confident they are they won't flip. I think Iowa is the only one that has it

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: GTO and breck53

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I don't thinks so....just being straight about what a commitment is...
As far as I'm concerned, a commitment is nothing and hasn't been anything in a long time. Nothing matters until ink meets paper and paper meets fax machine... I suppose this is what you get when recruiting is such a publicly-visible thing now.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53 and CyTwins

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, a commitment is nothing and hasn't been anything in a long time. Nothing matters until ink meets paper and paper meets fax machine... I suppose this is what you get when recruiting is such a publicly-visible thing now.
Just depends on the kid....I'd encourage a kid to make all the visits he wants and then make a decision.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
CMC says he feels confident in their program and isn't going to make a kid decommit to take a visit somewhere else. It's their biggest decision of their life. There is a reason Kirk's no visit policy is so highly criticized
Great

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
You'd encourage him to decommit if he wants to visit somewhere else?
No I'd encourage him to make his visits and them commit. Pretty simple.

Kids change their minds and that's natural...if my kid was being recruited I'd just encourage him to make a lot of visits and take his time and decide.

Kids do take the chance of having their spots taken by other recruits so I think that's why we see these early commitments.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53