Iowa Football Recruiting

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Is this kind of like the saying "if you are playing 2 QB's that usually means you dont have one good one".

If you have to rotate between 2 positions it probably means you arent good enough to make an impact at either one.

Nice of Campbell to try and get a senior on the field as much as possible though. Must suck to be him and Lazard and never even sniff a bowl game.

Hell, ISU has to win 4 games this year just for Lazard to have as many wins in his career as the Hawkeyes won in the 2015 season alone.
That's one way to spin it for sure.

Reactions: CyTwins

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Nice of Campbell to try and get a senior on the field as much as possible though. Must suck to be him and Lazard and never even sniff a bowl game.
When was the last time Iowa was "in" a bowl game. Probably 2010 against mighty Missouri. Been a bunch of blowouts recently.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
When was the last time Iowa was "in" a bowl game. Probably 2010 against mighty Missouri. Been a bunch of blowouts recently.

About 7 and a half months ago Iowa played in the Outback Bowl against Florida.

I dont think a fan of a program that hasnt made a bowl in 5 years should be talking about the performance of another team in bowls.

That would be like Drake basketball fans coming to run smack on the ISU basketball program.

I mean Ricky Stanzi started at QB for Iowa in as many bowl wins as the entire ISU football program has in its history.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
That's one way to spin it for sure.

Serious question, because you will actually give an honest answer.

Do you think Lazard would sniff the field at MLB at many P5 schools after playing QB for years? I guess I don't care how good of an athlete these guys are, you should have a comparable athlete there that has years of experience over him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Do you think Lazard would sniff the field at MLB at many P5 schools after playing QB for years? I guess I don't care how good of an athlete these guys are, you should have a comparable athlete there that has years of experience over him.

Lazard is one of the best WR in the country so not sure why you are even asking about him

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

I know you mean Lanning.

I certainly think Joel is big and fast enough to play MLB at another P5 school but you'll have to ask me in a few weeks, because I don't know what to expect.

ISU actually doesn't have comparable athletes at MLB with experience. ISU's best linebackers from 2016 both play outside, and the rest of the LB corps is just as inexperienced at the D1 level.

Tymar Sutton and Bobby McMillen are the other 2 MLB that aren't True Fr and they haven't played much.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I think Mizzou was ranked #12 heading into that bowl game. 2011 vs. Oklahoma we were within a touchdown with the ball late in the 4th quarter. 2014 vs. LSU we lost 21-14, they punted on the last play of the game, a return for a TD would've tied it. The last three have definitely been rough. Playing bowl games against Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, Stanford, Tennessee, etc., there's always the chance of hitting a rough patch. But you're right, big time programs should expect better, even going against other big time programs.

• Winner
Reactions: ICHawk24

UnbiasedHawk

Jul 6, 2013
Biggest surprise for me was taking Lanning away from practicing LB for a day. He hasn't been there that long and I would think he needs every possible second of practice at LB as a result. Maybe the offensive wrinkles being added offset that, but that part just doesn't seem right to me.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think Mizzou was ranked #12 heading into that bowl game. 2011 vs. Oklahoma we were within a touchdown with the ball late in the 4th quarter. 2014 vs. LSU we lost 21-14, they punted on the last play of the game, a return for a TD would've tied it. The last three have definitely been rough. Playing bowl games against Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, Stanford, Tennessee, etc., there's always the chance of hitting a rough patch. But you're right, big time programs should expect better, even going against other big time programs.

You lost 31-14 to Oklahoma. You're better than that Gonzo

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Biggest surprise for me was taking Lanning away from practicing LB for a day. He hasn't been there that long and I would think he needs every possible second of practice at LB as a result. Maybe the offensive wrinkles being added offset that, but that part just doesn't seem right to me.

That is why I linked that to tweet. Even if he is blowing the coaches away with how great he is, he still has zero starts at LB, zero plays in a game at LB and needs all the practice reps he can get. If the offense is as good as all the Clone fans claim, why do they need a LB playing offense? It just doesn't make sense.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That is why I linked that to tweet. Even if he is blowing the coaches away with how great he is, he still has zero starts at LB, zero plays in a game at LB and needs all the practice reps he can get. If the offense is as good as all the Clone fans claim, why do they need a LB playing offense? It just doesn't make sense.

Where are you seeing this?

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I know you mean Lanning.

I certainly think Joel is big and fast enough to play MLB at another P5 school but you'll have to ask me in a few weeks, because I don't know what to expect.

ISU actually doesn't have comparable athletes at MLB with experience. ISU's best linebackers from 2016 both play outside, and the rest of the LB corps is just as inexperienced at the D1 level.

Tymar Sutton and Bobby McMillen are the other 2 MLB that aren't True Fr and they haven't played much.

Thanks, and yes I meant Lanning.

I guess I'm just not rhat familiar with the ISU LB corps, so Thanks for the info. I think ISU will need to step up recruiting of LB athletes then. Midwest states can usually provide very high level LB athletes. Heck Iowa hasn't had to go out of the state to find its last 3 MLB, and all were All Conference level players and 2 are AA level players. Angerer, Morris and Jewell have been awesome to watch over the last decade.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Thanks, and yes I meant Lanning.

I guess I'm just not rhat familiar with the ISU LB corps, so Thanks for the info. I think ISU will need to step up recruiting of LB athletes then. Midwest states can usually provide very high level LB athletes. Heck Iowa hasn't had to go out of the state to find its last 3 MLB, and all were All Conference level players and 2 are AA level players. Angerer, Morris and Jewell have been awesome to watch over the last decade.
ISU hasn't been good at LB for a few years now.

I'm not sure what to expect from Joel, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if Sutton sees some time, but he's young.

Part of that problem is that the best LB's have been underclassmen. We'll see if that improves. I like Harvey and Northup and sounds like Spears is developing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron