Iowa Football Recruiting

May 7, 2020
You’re really bad at trolling.
Not trolling. Just going off what I heard. I know someone who has had 15 user names and spends half his life on his big brother's message board has a hard time understanding these things.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Not trolling. Just going off what I heard. I know someone who has had 15 user names and spends half his life on his big brother's message board has a hard time understanding these things.

They have micropenile syndrome.

May 7, 2020
What be even funnier is when baby ferentz takes over.
Here is a look into the future of the hok program when baby ferentz takes over:
200.webp

Reactions: Brandon

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Do you feel that with time the recruiting rankings as a whole keep moving up for individual players? To clarify my point, it seems that average ratings for team recruits keep going up even if that doesn't mean an increase in the overall team ranking for the class.

For example: Iowa's average recruit in 2017 was at 84.52, but yet they still finished at 41 overall. In 2020, ISU's average recruit was 85.11, but finished at 46 overall.

I think the player ratings keep going up and thus it might look like certain teams are improving their recruiting when in reality they are doing about the same or even worse than before.
I would say yes. There are a few factors to this. They raise a recruits rankings based on their offers; this held a lot less weight a few years ago (unless a guy had Bama or OSU).

Also, there is such a high importance to slap a rating on a recruit that gets a P5 offer. Instead spending time with research and talking to coaches, they watch the tape and quickly make a rough guess. Their rough guesses are usually higher because everyone looks good on a highlight.

A guy like Llewellyn, who 247 didn't have anything on, got a 85 within a few days after he got his ISU offer. In 2015, he probably would have gone unranked for a while and even after he committed. They would wait to see him at a camp and do more eval. After some eval, they moved him up to an 88. Unranked to 88 with NO football or camps is a crazy bump.

Also, 247 rarely give big downgrades. So even if they whiff on a guy, they won't downgrade him much because it's human nature to stay away from moving a 4 star to a low 3 star.

So yea, the market needs instant gratification, so they need to do quick evals on guys they've never heard of. So A LOT of error.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Too bad this “GREAT eye for talent” can’t win anymore than 8 games in a season.
Yeah it’s crazy that coach campbells great eye for talent is consistently the first one in on some very talented players. Check the players that have committed early to ISU only to be plucked away by blue bloods later on in the recruiting cycle.

Campbell chose to have Will McDonald over John Waggoner and a blind man can see how much better McDonald is

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I would say yes. There are a few factors to this. They raise a recruits rankings based on their offers; this held a lot less weight a few years ago (unless a guy had Bama or OSU).

Also, there is such a high importance to slap a rating on a recruit that gets a P5 offer. Instead spending time with research and talking to coaches, they watch the tape and quickly make a rough guess. Their rough guesses are usually higher because everyone looks good on a highlight.

A guy like Llewellyn, who 247 didn't have anything on, got a 85 within a few days after he got his ISU offer. In 2015, he probably would have gone unranked for a while and even after he committed. They would wait to see him at a camp and do more eval. After some eval, they moved him up to an 88. Unranked to 88 with NO football or camps is a crazy bump.

Also, 247 rarely give big downgrades. So even if they whiff on a guy, they won't downgrade him much because it's human nature to stay away from moving a 4 star to a low 3 star.

So yea, the market needs instant gratification, so they need to do quick evals on guys they've never heard of. So A LOT of error.

So going back to your original post about this, comparing different years based on average recruit ranking really doesn't work. You can't compare Rhoads and CMC's classes based off of average recruit ranking very easily just like you can't compare past Iowa classes to this current ISU class based off of average recruit ranking.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
So going back to your original post about this, comparing different years based on average recruit ranking really doesn't work. You can't compare Rhoads and CMC's classes based off of average recruit ranking very easily just like you can't compare past Iowa classes to this current ISU class based off of average recruit ranking.
I used Legend's logic

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
Just cause you say the same thing over and over doesn't mean your right.

If you don’t think isu’s OL was dominated then why didn’t isu run more than 3 plays in Iowa territory after isu’s first drive.

It is fine that you think this just understand what that says about your overall football knowledge.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This sounds no different that what isu fans have been saying the last 10-15 years. Nothing though has actually changed.
Except for the fact that our current head coach has had 3 years in a row where his teams have been in and out of the top-25, which has never been done before I believe.

Reactions: Cytown12

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Except for the fact that our current head coach has had 3 years in a row where his teams have been in and out of the top-25, which has never been done before I believe.

Plus, his crowning achievement thus far of finishing the year in the receiving votes section of the top 25 poll.

Reactions: Clarence Butthorn

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron