Iowa adds Women's Wrestling

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Is women's wrestling an NCAA sport or is this some sort of club team?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Is women's wrestling an NCAA sport

It will be.

• Informative
Reactions: CyDawg23

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Pretty cool, but I would imagine it will take some time to gather the kind of numbers it will take to make it a widespread, competitive sport.

The stat usually comes from wrestling organizations, but I repeatedly hear it's the fastest growing sport in American high schools and universities right now. Yes, it still needs a bit of time, but programs are being added on a seemingly weekly basis at the high school level.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The stat usually comes from wrestling organizations, but I repeatedly hear it's the fastest growing sport in American high schools and universities right now. Yes, it still needs a bit of time, but programs are being added on a seemingly weekly basis at the high school level.

Honestly with the rise of UFC and specifically women fighting in it, this shouldn't be that surprising

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Gary Barta legit said that Iowa "is committed to gender equity."
LOL
636296818993446833-170504-JaneMeyer-441.JPG

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Iowa reinstated the Swimming and Diving Program.

At gunpoint (due to the Title IX lawsuit). And this is just an extension of that. Barta said as much. He literally said they wouldn't have reinstated Swimming and wouldn't have added Women's Wrestling. The lawsuit forced them to do so.

This might appear to be a gender equality, pro-women thing, but in reality it's Iowa being forced to add womens sports and these 2 sports are the least expensive to add (or re-add).

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
The optics of this after cutting sports due to budget restrictions is bad but great for the sport of wrestling. Now the state of iowa and the athletic unions need to sanction girl wrestling. I know not sanctioning is preventing some schools not to support it YET

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
There won't be any shortage of big ladies to compete for the heavyweight category at Iowa.

Who are they going to compete with? How many schools are going to add this sort of program?
https://nwhof.org/news/high-school-girls-wrestling-continues-rapid-growth
Eventually there will be plenty of schools that add women's wrestling. Already a thing at quite a few smaller schools.
https://www.americanwomenswrestling.com/news-2/updated-list-of-womens-college-programs

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Nah just the kind of immature **** you can expect from a hawk obsessed poster who tries way too hard to be funny.
Ok. Just assumed that type of person must spend most of their time on the other pages since they’re rare in the wresting page.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Iowa Women's Wrestling program isn't slated to be up and running until the 23-24 season so I'm sure the budget will get ironed out.

They've had a few US World Team women train with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club in the past and will have the facilities to handle another team so it certainly makes sense for them.

I think there are 6 other smaller schools in Iowa and boatloads around the country with Women's Wrestling. Iowa is just the first big school to take the leap.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sets off a series of announcements from other Power 5 schools pledging to add Women's Wrestling over the course of this year.

Arizona State has some women training down there with Mark Perry and I think Oregon State might have some. Wisconsin has Ronna Heaton training up there. Any of those places would be good candidates for new Women's programs. I'm sure they're trying to lay the ground work.

With multi-time world medalist Alli Ragan helping out at Grand View and doing some work with Big Game Wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised to see her end up on the new Iowa staff, whenever that forms.

I would bet Pollard has a long-term hope of joining the fray on this one, but I don't see ISU as being in a position to add Women's Wrestling for a bit.

Now the State of Iowa needs to get with it and sanction Girls Wrestling.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron