Iowa’s Band Not Coming

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
*whispers quietly* They won't where they were supposed to be in the first place. And no one told them to ram through the crowd like that.
I would have been happy if he had done this talking to the Iowa band:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Smart move by Barta. Save the band any further harassments and abuse from ISU fans while blaming it on COVID to help save ISU some face.

Was it a smart move when he talked to every Big 12 team about ISU fans being thieves...when it turned out his own student was the criminal?

Barta has zero credibility, he's gone national with lies after this game twice.

Our fans can be jerks, your fans can be jerks (even just going to the game in Ames I've endured worse from Iowa fans than the band claimed), any fans can be jerks. The video evidence does disprove some of Barta's lies.

Your AD has a history of lying and being proven wrong about his lies with HARD EVIDENCE. He lacks the maturity required to do his job and fires off crying like a baby REGULARLY without all the facts, with the wrong facts, and sometimes with the exact opposite of reality as the case where Iowa students were actually the criminals in question.

At this point I assume whatever Barta says, the exact opposite must be the truth.

The chump is a disgrace for going to national media and other Big 12 schools with lies on multiple occasions.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
*whispers quietly* They won't where they were supposed to be in the first place. And no one told them to ram through the crowd like that.

LOL, watch the video, they were just standing on the field not causing any problems at all. If Iowa could have done what Iowa wanted to do (stay on the field and wait) none of this would have happened.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
LOL, watch the video, they were just standing on the field not causing any problems at all. If Iowa could have done what Iowa wanted to do (stay on the field and wait) none of this would have happened.
Oh boy. Thanks! I hadn't seen the video before just now!

You didn't address either of the things I pointed out. But you have nothing so it makes sense.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Frankly, treating visiting fans poorly seems to be a problem in both places. I've been both places as a 'visiting fan' and both Jack Trice and Kinnick are worse than anywhere else I've been and I make several football and basketball trips every year. I get that the 'in state' thing probably contributes to it, not that UNI is truly a threat to the Iowa or Iowa State fan bases.

I've been to Wisconsin, North Carolina, Syracuse, Colorado, BYU, New Mexico, North Dakota State, South Dakota State and several others without incident and I wish I could say the same in Ames or Iowa City. To clarify, I completely understand the difference between good natured ribbing, which is completely fine and kind of fun, versus angry profanity laden actions.

It's something we need to do better than as an entire state it would appear.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I enjoy the UNI and Iowa bands coming so hopefully this year really is about COVID for Iowa. I’m sure they will be well taken care of in the future and kept out of harms way when they come back. Now let’s stop talking about 2019 band fiasco and focus on the game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Frankly, treating visiting fans poorly seems to be a problem in both places. I've been both places as a 'visiting fan' and both Jack Trice and Kinnick are worse than anywhere else I've been and I make several football and basketball trips every year. I get that the 'in state' thing probably contributes to it, not that UNI is truly a threat to the Iowa or Iowa State fan bases.

I've been to Wisconsin, North Carolina, Syracuse, Colorado, BYU, New Mexico, North Dakota State, South Dakota State and several others without incident and I wish I could say the same in Ames or Iowa City. To clarify, I completely understand the difference between good natured ribbing, which is completely fine and kind of fun, versus angry profanity laden actions.

It's something we need to do better than as an entire state it would appear.

I've seen and absorbed enough from Iowa fans going to this game in Ames to know the stories of Kinnick are true. I've only gone to this game at Kinnick once and it was without incident. I've heard, seen and felt plenty of it from drunk visiting Iowa fans in Ames though. One time some maniac drunk Iowa student jumped off the top of a party bus in a JTS lot onto my back below...still unbelievable it happened, I was a student at the time. Nobody was hurt and I just wanted to get the f away from the psychos.

I don't need video evidence to prove if it did or didn't happen. I went on with my life.

I'm 100% sure Jamie Pollard would not go to the national media and every Big Ten program without evidence that it happened. Even if he had evidence he probably wouldn't have made a national story out of it.

I'm more than 100% sure Pollard would not go to the Big 10 and national media outraged...then the evidence/investigation proved it was actually ISU fans and students were the guilty party.

Barta does this regularly. The guy sucks. He's the worst type of rivalry fan that ruins the healthy nature of a fun rivalry. The immature weak minded fragile insecure piece of garbage type.

Reactions: Neptune78

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
"Off the field" is the key part. All they had to do was use a couple of brain cells and use the blacktop area around the perimeter, go up the east ramp and straight out to their busses.

Instead, they went across a torn-up playing surface, used the wrong ramp and wrong gate, and tried to force their way through a crowd that couldn't go anywhere.

Not rocket science.
We're talking Hoks here, this is about as close to Rocket Science as they get.

Reactions: aauummm

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Yikes
Unusual for ISU band to have to clean their unis ? Yuk!

Unless there is a big need for it (marched on a muddy field, rain resulting in the unis getting soaked, etc) most band uniforms will be cleaned on an annual basis. This is especially true if the event took place in the 80s. Back then I can 100% see the band only getting unis dry-cleaned once each year. That is standard practice for most marching bands even today in my experience.

Source - I am a HS band director.

Devon

Mar 17, 2014
Bands are overrated. They're fun at pregame and halftime but we don't use them enough to get our crowd jacked up. Umm, anybody heard the old saying, "Know your audience"? Well that certainly doesn't apply to using the sound system at Jack Trice Stadium. The stuff coming out of our incredible sound system is ill-timed and not doing anything at all to motivate our crowd. C'mon man, just look around. At last Saturday's game I saw people even plugging their ears and laughing when sound waves came out of that speaker system. The overwhelming majority of our crowd falls into the age group of 30-50, that's just a fact. The post game guys even commented on how lame our audience was. Well, part of that was due to "field activity" but isn't that what good music is supposed to overcome? Get some good old heart-thumping, stand in your seats and jump, make you want to dance, music. Our music selection and timing couldn't be worse. Who is responsible for this? And what are our cheerleaders doing on their little patch of ground down in the corner? Send them around the stadium in packs and get the crowd going! I love going to ISU games but it seems like our sound system is doing everything possible to make it miserable.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
At iowa, the sousaphones were placed around the perimeter of the band. They were told that if an iowa fan tried to get in, use disgressionto stop them. Also known as whomp them with the tuba.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Bands are overrated. They're fun at pregame and halftime but we don't use them enough to get our crowd jacked up. Umm, anybody heard the old saying, "Know your audience"? Well that certainly doesn't apply to using the sound system at Jack Trice Stadium. The stuff coming out of our incredible sound system is ill-timed and not doing anything at all to motivate our crowd. C'mon man, just look around. At last Saturday's game I saw people even plugging their ears and laughing when sound waves came out of that speaker system. The overwhelming majority of our crowd falls into the age group of 30-50, that's just a fact. The post game guys even commented on how lame our audience was. Well, part of that was due to "field activity" but isn't that what good music is supposed to overcome? Get some good old heart-thumping, stand in your seats and jump, make you want to dance, music. Our music selection and timing couldn't be worse. Who is responsible for this? And what are our cheerleaders doing on their little patch of ground down in the corner? Send them around the stadium in packs and get the crowd going! I love going to ISU games but it seems like our sound system is doing everything possible to make it miserable.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Unless there is a big need for it (marched on a muddy field, rain resulting in the unis getting soaked, etc) most band uniforms will be cleaned on an annual basis. This is especially true if the event took place in the 80s. Back then I can 100% see the band only getting unis dry-cleaned once each year. That is standard practice for most marching bands even today in my experience.

Source - I am a HS band director.

Only once per year? That's nasty.

Have to clean it after every game/performance -- or every other time at a minimum. Hanging a sweaty wool uniform in a closet for a week is not a good idea.

Source - former ISUCF'V'MB member(s)

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
So, why do bands travel at all? If these stories of bad experiences date back to the 80's, should the contract be updated to not bring bands on the road? What positive is coming from this? The only opposing band that I've actually enjoyed seeing is the TAMU band years ago. Beyond that, maybe if we played a HBCU or something then we would invite their band to do a halftime show. Otherwise, just stay home and save the expense.

I can't say that this is the reasoning, but speaking as a band director who holds a band camp every summer and countless hours of rehearsal, you want to get as many opportunities to play as possible. It feels pretty awful to spend all of that time and have your performance called off due to weather. Worse yet, ask your band to do all that work knowing that you will be eliminating performance opportunities. FWIW, HMB members do like a 10 day camp with many of those days being 12 hours long and that is just camp, which doesn't include additional rehearsals that take place throughout the fall season. (I have a couple prior students that march with the HMB). I am sure there are other reasons that they travel, but as a director, I would 100% be upset about losing this performance opportunity if I were leading the HMB. It sucks for the kids who lose out on an opportunity to showcase what they have been working on and it sucks for the leaders who have been right there alongside the kids preparing.

All of that said, I have NEVER had to take my band into a hostile environment which might make me reconsider whether it was indeed worth it. I like to think that I would be able to mitigate most issues by not, I don't know, marching my band through the opposing fanbase after the game.

If I were at the game, I personally wouldn't miss the HMB. But as a band director, I think that kind of sucks for their leaders, kids, and program.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Only once per year? That's nasty.

Have to clean it after every game/performance -- or every other time at a minimum. Hanging a sweaty wool uniform in a closet for a week is not a good idea.

Source - former ISUCF'V'MB member(s)

When it gets worn 4-5 times a year for two hours, yeah it gets washed once per year. Such was the case at nearly EVERY 3A school I have interacted with. My hometown, Oskaloosa, had a pretty good and well supported band program. Uniforms were only sent the dry cleaner at the conclusion of the season unless there was mud/rain that soaked the unis.

That is why you don't hang them in closet after they have been exposed to moisture. You hang them with space to dry and turn on fans. If need be, you make it around to each uniform and hit them with some deodorizing anti-bacterial aerosals (similar to stuff used on bowling shoes).

College level would probably require more cleaning as y'all are in the uniform for like 5-6 hours. High schools don't have supply a budget for regular cleaning, or much of anything, to the band department.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron