In state recruiting for 2015 class

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Well Section110 can jump for joy Iowa just landed another 2* player with no offers. That make 6 out of 8 "diamonds in the rough" for Hawks in the 2015 recruiting class. I suppose Alabama will be soon to offer now though.

Listen man, I don't know what your problem is. I'm just enjoying discussing football. I shouldn't have to apologize for being objective. You're making yourself look terribly stupid. ISU has one commitment right now. I wouldn't bash a program that has 7 no matter what their rankings are.

All you and ribsandwhiskey do is contribute garbage to the thread. Join the discussion. Post something about football. It doesn't have to be a flame war. What fun would a discussion be if everyone felt the same way?

Last edited:

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
All I'm saying is you still have to get talented players to come play in Ames. Until there's a noticeable shift in recruiting I would keep the expectations reasonable. Especially at the QB position.

As someone mentioned earlier... Ryan Boyle would have been the highest ranked QB to go to ISU in quite some time. I would not stop going after him if I were Rhoads or Mangino.

During Mangino's tenure at all three (OU, KSU, KU) how many QBs went on to the NFL?
Every single one of the last 6 QBs who committed to ISU were rated higher than Boyle per Rivals. Half of those share the same rating Boyle has now on Scout. 2* & 3* not much difference, but stating Boyle is a high ranked recruit as a 3 is stretching it.
4* means a little more as well as the number of schools already offered & those sniffing around. That being the case, Burrow would be much more sought after & am glad we are doing our best to get him to come to Ames.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
110 - you're following a well trodden path of fans from rivals/opponents posting on this site. You start off objective and are usually well received, but somewhere along the line you become long, and boorish, and spend half of your posts defending your objectivity. And all the while think you're taking a high road of some sort. Just remember which site you're posting on and quit throwing **** in our faces and you'll get along fine here. Continue the progression and you'll just be another twocoach or lakesbison. And that's no fun.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Listen man, I don't know what your problem is. I'm just enjoying discussing football. I shouldn't have to apologize for being objective. You're making yourself look terribly stupid. ISU has one commitment right now. I wouldn't bash a program that has 7 no matter what their rankings are.

All you and ribsandwhiskey do is contribute garbage to the thread. Join the discussion. Post something about football. It doesn't have to be a flame war. What fun would a discussion be if everyone felt the same way?

I have no interest in talking football with you. Stop posting here and I will resume talking football. All you do is bash ISU. So **** off. There is a rivalry forum for idiots like you.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

You started as an imposter Cyclone, now your posts are completely objective, objective towards everything Iowa. But carry on.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
During Mangino's tenure at all three (OU, KSU, KU) how many QBs went on to the NFL?
Every single one of the last 6 QBs who committed to ISU were rated higher than Boyle per Rivals. Half of those share the same rating Boyle has now on Scout. 2* & 3* not much difference, but stating Boyle is a high ranked recruit as a 3 is stretching it.
4* means a little more as well as the number of schools already offered & those sniffing around. That being the case, Burrow would be much more sought after & am glad we are doing our best to get him to come to Ames.

I'm not trying to blow Boyle's talent out of proportion. It would be impossible to compare recruits with such little disparity between them until after they have a chance to show what they can do. I guess I just feel like there isn't much more a QB from Iowa can prove than what Boyle has proven, and he's only a junior. Plus he happens to be right in ISU's backyard. Seems like a young man I'd be going after. Especially if he seems willing to change positions if QB doesn't work out (which I'm sure he is because it seems that's kind of the unwritten agreement in IC).

Like I said before, Burrow would be a great get. As a coaching staff you can't sit back and wait for a kid to make a decision though. If you waste too much time and effort on one kid and he goes elsewhere then what? It isn't like ISU is in a position to turn down damn good talent.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
He's got a good highlight reel, and it's against Texas competition. Kinda confused why ISU and Colorado were his biggest offers. 4.5 40 is pretty damn good too. I thought maybe the only reason he didn't have more offers was because he wants to be a QB and some of the big schools down south didn't want him there.

I've only seen one highlight reel on DLC and he is a great runner, but the video I saw had only about 8-10 passes. He threw ok but I wondered why there weren't more passing highlights. That's why I was thinking he may have been looked at as an athlete by a lot of programs. Now he may very well turn out to be a good passer and a good qb, but there's no comparison between Boyle's highlight reel and the DLC' video that was posted on this board.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Well Section110 can jump for joy Iowa just landed another 2* player with no offers. That make 6 out of 8 "diamonds in the rough" for Hawks in the 2015 recruiting class. I suppose Alabama will be soon to offer now though.

He's exactly the kind of kid ISU should be going after. He's a 3 star with offers from Nebraska and Iowa. He's a two time state wrestling champ at 215lbs and the younger brother of Riley Reiff.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
He's exactly the kind of kid ISU should be going after. He's a 3 star with offers from Nebraska and Iowa. He's a two time state wrestling champ at 215lbs and the younger brother of Riley Reiff.
Who has an offer from Nebraska? The Reiff kid doesnt? And he is a 2*.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm not trying to blow Boyle's talent out of proportion. It would be impossible to compare recruits with such little disparity between them until after they have a chance to show what they can do. I guess I just feel like there isn't much more a QB from Iowa can prove than what Boyle has proven, and he's only a junior. Plus he happens to be right in ISU's backyard. Seems like a young man I'd be going after. Especially if he seems willing to change positions if QB doesn't work out (which I'm sure he is because it seems that's kind of the unwritten agreement in IC).

Like I said before, Burrow would be a great get. As a coaching staff you can't sit back and wait for a kid to make a decision though. If you waste too much time and effort on one kid and he goes elsewhere then what? It isn't like ISU is in a position to turn down damn good talent.

Well, we are doing it and Mark Mangino knows a hell of a lot more than you about recruiting. We also have almost an entirely new staff so we have to get everyone together and evaluate kids before sending out offers.

You try to be objective but you throw in little things to **** people off, whether it's intentional or not. Talk football, but don't try to act like you have this strategy that would work better, because you don't. ISU didn't like Boyle as a god damn QB to offer him earlier than other recruits. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings. I'm sorry about that. But it's reality. So deal with it. ISU would like to recruit their top prospects first, and even though you think little old ISU isn't good enough to recruit good players, they think they are. We will see how it turns out.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Yes, he has a Nebraska offer. They recruit SD pretty hard, Nathan Gerry comes to mind. The older Reiff was a Nebraska commit at one time. Do u subscribe to any premium forums?

http://hssouthdakota.scout.com/a.z?s=409&p=8&c=1&nid=7508377

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

I love Burrow and from their highlight videos he looks like a taller version of Boyle imo. Great feet, great arm, smart and confident. But aren't you giving Boyle's rating as a junior compared to our other qbs as seniors? It sucks imo that Boyle's going to Iowa but if we can land Burrow we'll have our future qb. Anybody know if Burrow will camp with us?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

Offer from South Dakota state and Wyoming. This is the type of commit iowa fans flame ISU for landing.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, he has a Nebraska offer. They recruit SD pretty hard, Nathan Gerry comes to mind. The older Reiff was a Nebraska commit at one time. Do u subscribe to any premium forums?
I subscribe to every premium site there is. Not much I dont follow when it comes to football recruiting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/michiganstate/football/recruiting/player-Brady-Reiff-155169
http://hssouthdakota.scout.com/a.z?s=409&p=8&c=1&nid=7508377
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/190577/brady-reiff

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
In fairness to our staff as it relates to Boyle, they wanted to watch him throw live. Boyle sure would have been a nice fit for the ISU offense and according to Scout he would have been the highest ranked QB at ISU in more than a decade. Boyle (3Star, 42 - as a junior).

DLC (3Star, 47), Lanning (3Star, 65), Rohach (3Star, 73), Janz (2Star), Richardson (2Star), Barnett (3Star, 80) even Arnaud (2Star).

The top QBs seemed to be committing earlier in the process. Waiting for Burrow (4Star ,26) could be dangerous unless we think the 5 QBs we have on the roster are adequate.

waiting for Burrow isn't dangerous at all. Not when you have 5 qbs on the roster and no seniors. ISU can go after Burrow because they don't need to sign a QB. And they didn't have to settle on a backup plan like Boyle...because they aren't out anything if they miss out on their top targets.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Well, we are doing it and Mark Mangino knows a hell of a lot more than you about recruiting. We also have almost an entirely new staff so we have to get everyone together and evaluate kids before sending out offers.

You try to be objective but you throw in little things to **** people off, whether it's intentional or not. Talk football, but don't try to act like you have this strategy that would work better, because you don't. ISU didn't like Boyle as a god damn QB to offer him earlier than other recruits. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings. I'm sorry about that. But it's reality. So deal with it. ISU would like to recruit their top prospects first, and even though you think little old ISU isn't good enough to recruit good players, they think they are. We will see how it turns out.

No feelings hurt here

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He has been an excellent coach no matter where he has been. He helped turn things around at KU and at K-State. He helped win a National Championship at Oklahoma. There's simply nothing but good things you can say about that. He had to have learned a lot from both Bill Snyder and Bob Stoops.

The only reason I'm saying I'd exercise a little more caution is because it's Iowa State. I mean that's a slap in the face, but it's the reality history presents us with. He turned the KU program around. He helped Snyder accomplish tremendous things at K-State. He helped Bob Stoops acclimate himself at Oklahoma. I'm hopeful he can be the answer to Paul Rhoads' prayers at ISU. I will remain doubtful until I see it however.

Mangino took KU from a point lower than ISU currently is to winning a BCS game. If the offense doesn't turn around under him, I'm betting it won't be his fault because everyone knows what he brings to the table. As for the QBs, there IS talent there. The big problem last year was OL injuries. A running game and protection can make any QB look good.

I have no problem with them holding off on offering Boyle. That's because they don't NEED to sign a QB this year. Not to mention he was down their list behind Burrow and likely Willis, Ringleberg, possibly Ingold and Schlicte. It's pretty telling that ISU has all of ONE QB offer out at this point. They're being selective because they don't have to sign one if Burrow doesn't commit.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Mangino took KU from a point lower than ISU currently is to winning a BCS game. If the offense doesn't turn around under him, I'm betting it won't be his fault because everyone knows what he brings to the table. As for the QBs, there IS talent there. The big problem last year was OL injuries. A running game and protection can make any QB look good.

I have no problem with them holding off on offering Boyle. That's because they don't NEED to sign a QB this year. Not to mention he was down their list behind Burrow and likely Willis, Ringleberg, possibly Ingold and Schlicte. It's pretty telling that ISU has all of ONE QB offer out at this point. They're being selective because they don't have to sign one if Burrow doesn't commit.

We don't need a qb for the 2015 class as long as the staff is confident we have Big 12 caliber qb's in Lanning, Hodge or DLC, and they may be. But if you saw Lanning play at the uni-dome and Boyle's performance last year, it would be hard not to rate Boyle ahead of Lanning even though Boyle was a junior. And I'm a big Ankeny and Lanning fan. This site is for opinions and mine is that Boyle put on a show at the uni-dome like no other Iowa high school qb I've ever seen, and I'm hoping he doesn't go on to be a real good one for Iowa, I'm just afraid he could. But then even had we offered Boyle that wouldn't guarantee we would have got him. But I would love it if we could land Burrow as there really is no comparison between his highlight video and DLC's, as there really weren't many passing highlights in it for some reason.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
We don't need a qb for the 2015 class as long as the staff is confident we have Big 12 caliber qb's in Lanning, Hodge or DLC, and they may be. But if you saw Lanning play at the uni-dome and Boyle's performance last year, it would be hard not to rate Boyle ahead of Lanning even though Boyle was a junior. And I'm a big Ankeny and Lanning fan. This site is for opinions and mine is that Boyle put on a show at the uni-dome like no other Iowa high school qb I've ever seen, and I'm hoping he doesn't go on to be a real good one for Iowa, I'm just afraid he could. But then even had we offered Boyle that wouldn't guarantee we would have got him. But I would love it if we could land Burrow as there really is no comparison between his highlight video and DLC's, as there really weren't many passing highlights in it for some reason.

Agree with a lot of what you say here. I guess the main reason I felt like ISU should be recruiting Boyle isn't necessarily because he could end up being a great QB. I know the Cyclones aren't in desperate need of another QB. I just think he's a great athlete, and I don't see a down side to going after a guy like that. With his size/speed/strength combination, if the QB position doesn't work out I think he could end up being a great LB. Wouldn't be hard to get him up to 230-235 lbs. You can always find a place for an athlete like him to contribute.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron