Illinois going after Shaka Smart

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
I read somewhere that the state Illinois has the highest number of players in the tourney this year. With the right coach they could really build a consistent winner. The fact that a guy near me at work is a huge Illinois fan, I don't want this to happen. But it would be interesting to see what Smart could do there.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was really hoping for Shaka to come to Champaign. *Sigh* I hope plan B is just as good.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
So , who does Illinois go after now? Anthony Grant was apparently contacted and has said no.

The "BUZZ" in Champaign is Buzz Williams, with a little Anthony Grant mixed in. Given the FB hire (Beckmen) most are expecting a 'Big Name'.

I could see Johnny Dawkins before Collins only because of previous experience, there is a little talk of Lomar and Robinson (other Pac 12 schools). You would think in 2012 that the color of one's skin is not that important, but the Beckmen hire received a couple of NO votes because he wasn't Kevin Summerlin. Most fans would be excited about Brad Stevens, and I assume he gets a call but will probably be a no go like Shaka. No one is excited about Groce from Ohio.

Champaign is not that nice and their building is old and nothing special at all.

The University just shelled out millions on the FB stadium upgrades and Assembly Hall is next in line. They are going to seriously throw down to upgrade, possibly even build new.

Being an outsider (NW Iowa but live 10 min from CU), a Clone fan who can't stand the B1G, but I also told everyone here I will get along with them fine cause I hate the Hawkeyes too... I would say Illinois is a top 15-20 job. It is the best job at a school w/o a National Championship. Basketball rules here, and they are going to offer between $2.5 and $3 to get who they want.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
What Illinois is going through helps remind me how truly lucky we were that Fred wanted the ISU job. Illinois, a power 6 job in a recruiting hotbed with a pretty decent amount of talent returning, is offering somewhere between double and triple the money we were 2 years ago and is twisting in the wind in a very public fashion.

For the 125,435th time...THANK GOD FOR FRED!!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What Illinois is going through helps remind me how truly lucky we were that Fred wanted the ISU job. Illinois, a power 6 job in a recruiting hotbed with a pretty decent amount of talent returning, is offering somewhere between double and triple the money we were 2 years ago and is twisting in the wind in a very public fashion.

For the 125,435th time...THANK GOD FOR FRED!!

That's the truth. Illinois will likely end up with a solid coach, but it will likely be a 2nd or 3rd choice. And as my co-worker Illini fan likes to point out, they think their job is a top 20 job in the country.

We were looking for our 4th coach in less than 10 years. We were damn lucky Hoiberg wanted the job. And it turns out he can coach!

LakeHavasu

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406
That's the truth. Illinois will likely end up with a solid coach, but it will likely be a 2nd or 3rd choice. And as my co-worker Illini fan likes to point out, they think their job is a top 20 job in the country.

We were looking for our 4th coach in less than 10 years. We were damn lucky Hoiberg wanted the job. And it turns out he can coach!

AND JP had the STONES to offer him the job.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

banana-hanged-suicide-dead-face.jpg

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Meh, I'm OK with it if Groce is the guy. Not thrilled but not ready to jump off a bridge either. Bill Self came from Tulsa and I don't think anyone thought he'd turn into what he is now when he first came there.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Meh, I'm OK with it if Groce is the guy. Not thrilled but not ready to jump off a bridge either. Bill Self came from Tulsa and I don't think anyone thought he'd turn into what he is now when he first came there.

I am in the "Whatever if it works out fine crowd at this point".