IHSAA 2023 Boys Basketball Tournament

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well … that’s every school in Iowa, since with open enrollment kids can actually go to any school district they want, they don‘t have to live within the district. (There are some exceptions with districts that are “full.”) Coaches/parents can “recruit” all they want, public or private. I know of several football players in the CR area who decided to enroll at Kennedy and play for them instead of Jefferson or Linn-Mar; I also know a kid from Vinton who played football for City High last fall.

Complaining about private schools is fine, I guess, but they don’t have the “recruiting” advantage over public schools that you think they do, not in Iowa.
Tono? He had previously been at Independence but left there due to cultural (racist) issues. His sister lives in Iowa City and especially now with Mitch Moore that is why they chose City High.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Norwalk will probably grow out of that conference. DCG might as well. Bodourant would be a good fit for that conference. Pella Chrisitan should probably go down and join a 2A or 3A conference.
Yeah, I would assume the ultimate destination for DCG and Norwalk would be the CIML with the other big suburban schools. Just a matter of how long before they would want to take that jump. Both are 4A now, but are still quite a bit smaller than Urbandale, which is the smallest of the CIML schools.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Is the complaint here that they should be showing the game itself up on the big screen? Because it would appear most anyone in that crowd could get as close as they want to the action without craning their neck to look up at the screen.

I am also not clear on this tweet.

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Is the complaint here that they should be showing the game itself up on the big screen? Because it would appear most anyone in that crowd could get as close as they want to the action without craning their neck to look up at the screen.

Also, I have a hard time believing the girls union would leave revenue on the table if they could sell that ad space themselves.

Reactions: AllInForISU

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Also, I have a hard time believing the girls union would leave revenue on the table if they could sell that ad space themselves.

I’ve only been to a couple tournaments there but it always seemed like that middle thing was for stats and for ads/crowd interaction stuff? Haven’t been there since the mid ‘10’s so maybe they’ve already replaced it a couple times.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Yeah, I would assume the ultimate destination for DCG and Norwalk would be the CIML with the other big suburban schools. Just a matter of how long before they would want to take that jump. Both are 4A now, but are still quite a bit smaller than Urbandale, which is the smallest of the CIML schools.
They need about a 60% enrollment jump to get to urbandale and need to double to get to the next biggest CIML. There is certainly the trajectory to get there but it will be awhile. I would actually like urbandale to leave CIML for little hawkeye and have a conference with indianola, norwalk, urbandale, DCG and Pella in it. That would be fun.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Wait until someone tells him that the multimedia stuff isn't even the IHSAA's call.

• Informative
Reactions: Trice and fcclone

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
They need about a 60% enrollment jump to get to urbandale and need to double to get to the next biggest CIML. There is certainly the trajectory to get there but it will be awhile. I would actually like urbandale to leave CIML for little hawkeye and have a conference with indianola, norwalk, urbandale, DCG and Pella in it. That would be fun.
I think they may be closer than that. From the BEDS this year on ighsau here they are against the 3 smallest CIML schools.

Waukee 1245
Dowling 1030
Urbandale 977
Norwalk 780
DCG 738

That would put Norwalk only 25% from catching Urbandale and Dowling. Now granted there is a big jump from Urbandale to Waukee. And Dowling is more than just an enrollment number. So it really comes down to how quickly they want to jump. If they would get in there when they near Urbandale that may not be too far off. If they would rather get closer to Waukee that is a much longer time frame.

Reactions: CloneJD

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Here is quick reference of the top 60 schools (grades 9,10,11) for this year.

For the boys state basketball tournament, the top 48 are class 4A.
I would say there is a lot of enrollment to catch up on for Norwalk, DCG, Bondurant and North Polk, but at the same time, all of those towns are installing new neighborhoods every 25 mins. So if the town remains on that trajectory and their is no crash in the next 10 years, I could see those schools growing a lot.
especially given that most of the schools from 30-50 range are stagnant communities.
I also wouldn't doubt if the IHSAA does something similar to the girls and create a 5A which then would slide some schools down a bit.

I guess it also depends on the sport and classes they create.
Soccer modified the class sizes this year. So teams like urbandale are now in 3A Soccer.
Soccer:
  • Class 4A: Largest 36 schools
  • Class 3A: Next 40 schools
  • Class 2A: Next 48 schools
  • Class 1A: Remaining schools

1Valley, West Des Moines2271
2Southeast Polk1801
3Johnston1752
4Des Moines, Lincoln1740
5Linn-Mar, Marion1733
6Des Moines, East1502
7Des Moines, Roosevelt1480
8Ankeny Centennial1423
9Northwest, Waukee1372
10Waterloo, West1348
11Ankeny1337
12Prairie, Cedar Rapids1334
13Cedar Falls1311
14Cedar Rapids, Kennedy1296
15Pleasant Valley1264
16Waukee1245
17Dubuque, Hempstead1237
18Sioux City, North1230
19Cedar Rapids, Jefferson1189
20Davenport, Central1182
21Iowa City, City High1154
22Bettendorf1150
23Davenport, West1145
24Marshalltown1132
25Muscatine1132
26Sioux City, East1106
27Iowa City, West1096
28Dubuque, Senior1078
29Ottumwa1071
30Ames1054
31Des Moines, North1040
32Council Bluffs, Abraham Lincoln1031
33Dowling Catholic, West Des Moines1030
34Davenport, North1022
35Sioux City, West981
36Cedar Rapids, Washington978
37Urbandale977
38Council Bluffs, Thomas Jefferson903
39Iowa City, Liberty861
40Waterloo, East831
41Indianola825
42Burlington800
43Fort Dodge799
44North Scott, Eldridge786
45Norwalk780
46Mason City761
47Clinton757
48Dallas Center-Grimes738
49Epworth, Western Dubuque721
50Des Moines, Hoover681
51Lewis Central674
52Newton664
53Waverly-Shell Rock596
54Denison-Schleswig593
55Bondurant-Farrar563
56Spencer559
57Pella558
58Carlisle556
59Storm Lake550
60Clear Creek-Amana544
61LeMars539
62Marion530
63Boone527
64North Polk, Alleman467

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Tuesdays Games:

Tuesday, March 7​

Class 2A Quarterfinals

10:30—#2 Roland-Story vs. #7 Kuemper, Carroll

12:15—#3 Western Christian, Hull vs. #6 Monticello

Class 3A Quarterfinals

2:00—#1 Bondurant-Farrar vs. #8 Algona

3:45—#4 Newton vs. #5 North Polk

5:30—#3 Marion vs. #6 Bishop Heelan, Sioux City

7:15—#2 Xavier, Cedar Rapids vs. #7 Des Moines, Hoover

• Informative
Reactions: Marcelason78

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Tono? He had previously been at Independence but left there due to cultural (racist) issues. His sister lives in Iowa City and especially now with Mitch Moore that is why they chose City High.
I have no problem with Tono going to school wherever he and his parents think is best (I worked with his dad for many years, that’s how I know he’s from Vinton - I also umpired his youth baseball team a couple of times). I only brought him up as an example of how it’s not just private schools who don’t have hard & fast attendance areas.

Reactions: wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wait until someone tells him that the multimedia stuff isn't even the IHSAA's call.
He probably assumed it because the Ihsaa seems to step on their junk at every turn. I think we may be the only state that has separate boys and girls associations and I fully understand why with the Ihsaa’s incompetence.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
He probably assumed it because the Ihsaa seems to step on their junk at every turn. I think we may be the only state that has separate boys and girls associations and I fully understand why with the Ihsaa’s incompetence.

I appreciate what everyone does to keep sports going, but why is it that Iowa is the only state that maintains separate governing bodies for boys' and girls' athletics?

The only thing I can think of is there would be duplication leadership/directors, etc. Which means someone would have to go or take demotions.

just makes no sense that we are the only state to do this.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
All schools that can go "recruit" kids in this way or similar should have their own class in Iowa and own State Tournament and should now be allowed to play anyone else!!

Sure, but only as long as open enrollment is not an option for any school in Iowa.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I appreciate what everyone does to keep sports going, but why is it that Iowa is the only state that maintains separate governing bodies for boys' and girls' athletics?

The only thing I can think of is there would be duplication leadership/directors, etc. Which means someone would have to go or take demotions.

just makes no sense that we are the only state to do this.

At this point this is it.

One thing about it that annoys me about 2 associations is the fact you have to pay both associations to register as a an official to do both boys and girls events. Soccer, basketball, track and field, just to name a few, have the same exact rules, but because we have 2 separate associations we have to pay twice. It’s so stupid. I wouldn’t care if Iowa had 2 otherwise.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
At this point this is it.

One thing about it that annoys me about 2 associations is the fact you have to pay both associations to register as a an official to do both boys and girls events. Soccer, basketball, track and field, just to name a few, have the same exact rules, but because we have 2 separate associations we have to pay twice. It’s so stupid. I wouldn’t care if Iowa had 2 otherwise.
I would also add there have been some historical difference in rules. Seems like forever the girls coach for basketball could stand up on the sideline coaching, but the boys coach had to remain seated or would get a technical. I could see where that could be a pain for an official.

Reactions: AllInForISU

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Same here! However, I really enjoyed the Marion kids I ran with back in the day! Also...they are doing a great job of upgrading their athletic facilities so good for them!

Yeah they are finally doing a good job of investing in their facilities across the district. Over the last decade or so they have built a new elementary to replace an aging one, renovated/added on to the middle school and high school and as of this year built a new stadium and I think are building a new elementary where the old stadium was.

Prior to that it had been decades without any real investment. They still have a ways to go in some areas (fine arts) but it is good to see.

That all being said due to the demographic of their district they have a limited tax base. Almost all residential and as noted above nothing high dollar, little business and no industry.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I went to a small school and played sports, and from watching scores and rankings in the newspaper, state tournaments, etc., I thought I had at least heard of every other school out there, at least before all the consolidation of the last 20 years. (Meanwhile kids at big schools just miles away didn't know who we were, but I digress.)

But I was legitimately floored to learn of the existence of the Marion school district, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was just a few years ago that I found out.

Anyway, good luck Marion! I will root for you for at least one game. I've got a soft spot for Hoover so no promises in the semis.

I was the same way. I grew up in a small town and I played and followed a lot of high school sports. I thought I knew most schools but always assumed Marion = Linn Mar. It was only when I moved to the Cedar Rapids area that I figured out they were actually two different schools.