If Nebraska's N is for Knowledge, what is Rutger's R for?

blitz8ru

Dec 5, 2011
Interesting history. Maybe we should start another thread for learning some of the serious stuff about Rutgers. I find it fascinating.

It sounds like Rutgers is a quite different sort of state university. Does "state university" just mean "public university?" In Iowa, the U of Northern Iowa, Iowa State, and U of Iowa are all public universities, but we are the one that bears the name "state university" because of our heritage as a land grant institution (we pride ourselves on being the first school to establish a school according to the land grant idea).

Now, back to the original purpose of the thread. R must stand for "Really Old."

Yes when I say state university I mean public university. Rutgers is the primary public research university in New Jersey. Similar to what University of Michigan is to Michigan and Ohio State is to Ohio...

We have somewhere around 56,000 total students with 46,000 undergrads...
For more info wikpedia is your friend. :smile:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes when I say state university I mean public university. Rutgers is the primary public research university in New Jersey. Similar to what University of Michigan is to Michigan and Ohio State is to Ohio...

OK, my fun thread is turning into NPR! R is for Research isn't nearly as biting!

Sounds like Rutgers is really like Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI rolled into one institution, but with a "Drake" around the corner (Princeton) that really is as good as it thinks it is academically (unlike Drake). Or maybe Princeton is like an east-coast Drake. If the Princetonians understand what that means, they won't be happy.

HPNJRUfan

Dec 5, 2011
Highland Park, NJ

First off great post (as usual) by Source, a walking Rutgers History book.

Just to expand a little bit, the other publicly funded colleges and universities in the state (which all compete at D-III along with RU-Camden and Newark squads) include:

Kean University
NJIT
Rowan University
The College of New Jersey
Ramapo College
New Jersey City University
Stockton College
Montclair State University
William Patterson University

Obviously, these are all in addition to (and much smaller then) Rutgers, as well as the multitude of private colleges and universities, and the County Colleges (public Juco's, I know this system works differently in some parts of the country). Sorry for hijacking the thread, but one of you guys said it best, the R should stand for Research! :laugh:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Obviously, these are all in addition to (and much smaller then) Rutgers, as well as the multitude of private colleges and universities, and the County Colleges (public Juco's, I know this system works differently in some parts of the country). Sorry for hijacking the thread, but one of you guys said it best, the R should stand for Research! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your insight into Rutgers, NJ, and NYC. FYI, I just started a new thread on Rutgers history and insider perspective. This will let us get back to joking around on this thread!

HPNJRUfan

Dec 5, 2011
Highland Park, NJ
Just to get back on topic, fans from esteemed universities such as sPitt, Sarahlose (aka Sadexcuse), and UCan't (aka UConnvict) collectively call us "Rutgirls" sometimes. Guess their not very creative :wink:

So how about we hear some of these names for ISU???

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just to get back on topic, fans from esteemed universities such as sPitt, Sarahlose (aka Sadexcuse), and UCan't (aka UConnvict) collectively call us "Rutgirls" sometimes. Guess their not very creative :wink:

Here is a combo of two pretty common ones: Ames Community College Cyclowns.

CyKrog

Sep 15, 2010
WDM
DiscipRine. As in rutgers racks a discipRine?
asian+man.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
R for Rhoads. Nice of them to put his initial on their helmets even before the game.

Bump in order to try to have a little holiday fun at Rutgers' expense.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

Mostly we get called the "clowns" instead of Clones.

That is the best one...