I'd Rather Recruit DL than OL

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I would think speed and quickness could both be factors, depending on the offensive scheme and what type of talent you have in the backfield. It's always nice to have a big strong o-line so you can run it down their throats and control the clock, but if you don't have a back that runs well between the tackles, they need the speed to pull and create seams on the outside.

I agree that recruiting d-linemen is probably the best way to go. It's nice to have a lot of depth so you can rotate them to keep them fresher and more injury free. Also, d-ends can become linebackers and, in some cases, tight ends who can block. Experience playing defense might help in technique when moved to offense.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Being able to hold w/o getting caught is key to a GREAT OL. Everybody does it, its just wheather or not they throw the flag.
I played OL and DL in jr high and high school. I HATED the OL. DL was 10X more fun.
It seemed like you never get any credit for a good block, but if you make a great sack, everyone knows it, same as a bad block. Even if a lineman right next to you allows a sack or gets blown up, the whole OL gets blamed.

Anyone that knows anything about football knows that a team lives and dies with the Oline. I played Left Tackle and D-End in high school. Our entire coaching staff was always behind the line. One of my favorite quotes from my head coach was "All the idiots in the stands cheer for the so-called skill positions, I'll be cheering for the hogs in the trenches."