I only have two problems and both are easily fixed

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
1. Careless, unforced turnovers
2. Poor shot selection

We inexplicably give away a half dozen possessions each game with unforced turnovers...a lot of them come from Royce in all honesty. He is such a great passer but he has to cut down on his turnovers.

We also have a problem with taking bad shots. I'm all for everyone having the green light, but they have to be smart. No fade away, guy right in your face, shots. Recognizing other open shooters whose shots are falling.

This team has a lot of talent. I bet there's 10-15 points we give away every game of this variety. We have at least three more wins if we'd managed these better.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I thought you were going to say:

1. People who are insensitive to other nationalities, and
2. the Dutch.

Reactions: Senolcyc

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
3. McGee only played 12 minutes.

Unless he was hurt, there's no reason he shouldn't have played more.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I agree with this. This team does not value possessions, seems like sometimes we are looking to make the spectacular play when making the smart play would probably result in a better shot. Royce makes so many great passes for a guy his size but he also averages around 4 turnovers a game which I would like to see a stat on how many fast break points they lead to. We are also 8th in the conference in turnover margin which is an easy place to improve in with better ball protection. We have the shooters to make teams pay if we'd just setup the offense and let teams decide if they want to double on Royce or not. If they double he finds guys for easy shots, if they don't he backs them down in the paint.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Due to one real problem- lack of a pg.

Maybe partially I guess. We still throw away outlet passes. Force passes in traffic. Leave our feet. Shot selection is everyone. They all have to make smart decisions when they have the ball. That wouldn't change whether we had a point guard or not.

I understand our style of play dictates some of this. We could still do a much better job. The effort is there. The talent is there. Those are the two most important ingredients. I really believe this could be at worst a Sweet 16 team if they take care of the ball and improve their shot selection.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Maybe partially I guess. We still throw away outlet passes. Force passes in traffic. Leave our feet. Shot selection is everyone. They all have to make smart decisions when they have the ball. That wouldn't change whether we had a point guard or not.

You are NEVER going to eliminate that.
Most teams would have the same problems when non-pgs must handle the ball 100% of the time. Can you imagine what KU would be like if Robinson had to initiate the offense?

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not at all.

I'm saying our 6 man, a quick guard, should play more against a team full of quick guards.

Yeah fred has loyalty to a fault sometimes with his players. Like allen earlier in the year when he was just plain awful. And tonight when scotty was getting owned for the first 38 minutes of the game. Mcgee needed to play 25 minutes tonight. But hindsight 20/20

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Clones21 also has only two problems:

1. Inane topics
  2. Asinine posts

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
1. Careless, unforced turnovers
2. Poor shot selection

We inexplicably give away a half dozen possessions each game with unforced turnovers...a lot of them come from Royce in all honesty. He is such a great passer but he has to cut down on his turnovers.

We also have a problem with taking bad shots. I'm all for everyone having the green light, but they have to be smart. No fade away, guy right in your face, shots. Recognizing other open shooters whose shots are falling.

This team has a lot of talent. I bet there's 10-15 points we give away every game of this variety. We have at least three more wins if we'd managed these better.

You didn't have a problem with the lack of mins Tyrus and Booker played?

You didn't have a problem with the fact that Royce didn't touch it, almost at all, in the final 10 mins?

I tell you what, this is the type of effort that gets you beat and leaves you scratching your head as you exit the NCAA tourney! There are some positives to take away from this game, but there are some areas of concern as well.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If those bad selected shots fall, are they still a bad shot to take? This team had done those two things all season, tonight they faced a better team and it bit them in the ***.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
You didn't have a problem with the lack of mins Tyrus and Booker played?

You didn't have a problem with the fact that Royce didn't touch it, almost at all, in the final 10 mins?

I tell you what, this is the type of effort that gets you beat and leaves you scratching your head as you exit the NCAA tourney! There are some positives to take away from this game, but there are some areas of concern as well.

Who am I to second-guess Fred on who plays and who doesn't? Ejim had 13 boards and played great on the defensive end. He might be our MVP right now, IMO. Are you going to sit your best scoring threat (SC) over the last month? Tyrus was 1-4 playing 12 minutes for three points. I really didn't have a problem with Royce's touches in the second half either. I thought the effort was fine...minus the mental mistakes...which plague this team every game.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
You saying you could do better then Fred?

Obviously you think you could...

Think that was terrible late game coaching down the stretch. Last three minutes of the game we did not execute one set play. Think Fred would have called a time out. We played hard, but those types of losses really make the fans mad. Scott the senior played like a freshman in the second half, and we went away from Royce and its not like there defense was that great. This is why Haith is the coach of the year in the Big 12, not Fred.