I love Peavy

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Pass breakups is a commonly accepted stat. Anytime a defender knocks the ball away from the receiver it is a pass break up. Interceptions are obvious. The Big 12 refers to these together as passes defended. Last year Peavy was 9th on this stat.

I was under the impression that the 26 Career Plays on the Ball in PFF's stat did not mean that he didn't allow a reception, rather that of the 26 that were incomplete, he intercepted five and broke up 21? Not allowing a single reception over three years would be a far more impressive stat (in my mind anyway.)

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I was under the impression that the 26 Career Plays on the Ball in PFF's stat did not mean that he didn't allow a reception, rather that of the 26 that were incomplete, he intercepted five and broke up 21? Not allowing a single reception over three years would be a far more impressive stat (in my mind anyway.)

There were not just 26 plays that were incomplete. Pass break up is when a defender physically bats a ball away or strips it out of the receiver's grasp before he can complete the catch. Passes that are dropped or miss their target are not credited to the defender as a play on ball.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
There were not just 26 plays that were incomplete. Pass break up is when a defender physically bats a ball away or strips it out of the receiver's grasp before he can complete the catch. Passes that are dropped or miss their target are not credited to the defender as a play on ball.

I’d be interested in a completions allowed to Plays on Ball ratio. Assuming the 26 is the total of break ups and interceptions, that could misrepresent the defender’s effectiveness - like if the opposing teams threw his way more often, giving more opportunities to beak up or intercept, while giving up more receptions.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Is that a low percentage of plays on the ball? Three years of starts and only 26 plays on the ball? Granted 20% of those are intercepted by Brian which is a really impressive stat. Maybe the lower number of throws his way is just a compliment from the opposing coaches?
Exactly the point - opposing teams don't want to risk throwing his direction!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron