I just noticed the bottom ticker....

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
I'm going to open this can of worms...

If ISU had baseball you would still have ISU sports to watch (assuming you aren't interested in softball).

This really shouldn't be a can of worms. I know there are a lot of reasons that we don't have baseball: money, probably title IX, Jamie P., etc; but I think the day will come when we really wish we had it. I live in Omaha where the CWS is king during the summer. I usually attend a couple of games, and I think it is just as festive and fun as bowl games and basketball tournaments. I know it is really hard for teams to get there, but I keep thinking how cool it would be for ISU to at least field a team and have an outside chance to be competitive.

If you really want to open a can of worms, and I will, I think Iowa State and UNI have handed Iowa a golden opportunity. As the only Division 1 college baseball team in the state they have a free rein to recruit the best high school players in the state with no instate competition at all. I've been following them since they got their new coach from Indiana State, and I can see them becoming a factor in the B-10 in a year or two, and possibly beyond that. I think they now have a coach that can coach and recruit. He has been successful most places he has been.

I remember the year ISU dropped baseball. They were actually fairly competitive in their last conference tournament. I was real sad to see the sport go. I just think we will live to regret dumping baseball. But what do I know?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is going to be one of the longer off-seasons, actually.

Sure, I don't think anybody on here would say the football team would be good, and I think most of us would be pretty satisfied with a "return to form" of 6-6 mediocre on a hard schedule and ending between 35-45th best in the country, depending on matchups, and maybe even ORV at some point if we put together a little streak or win a game or two we "shouldn't."

However, seeing what Magino does to breathe life into a listless offense is going to be fun. I think there are pieces on that side of the ball, too, for the first time in awhile. We might not win much, but we should be fun to watch doing it, losing in shootouts instead of awful, ugly, turnover-laden affairs where there are a handful of pick-sixes and we don't have a first down until sometime in the second quarter.

And, of course, basketball--Hoiberg has made this epically fun to watch and anticipate. Even his first time--the "five horsement" of Diante, Uncle Jake, SC, freshman Melvin, and JVB with a little bit of Godfrey and Bubu--was a million times more entertaining to watch than anything McD put out there. They did not win much, but they were fun while they were doing it, always seeming to come up about five points short in every game.

And now we've got that with top-line talent, coaching, and experience. Fred is going to have some high expectations for next year--maybe too high--but, yeah, already looking forward to (probably Monte? maybe Georges?) being the first to step onto the court for us in the fall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron