Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Hy-Vee in general just seems "off" since they first tried the sit down bar/restaurant thing in them ten years ago. Seems like they are flailing. I think their leadership team sucks, they are always changing course. And their ads are the WORST.

They nailed the liquor store part of things though.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLONE STATE

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I used to be a big Hy-Vee guy. I just don't like what they are becoming. All of the stuff they are adding IMO takes away from the experience because I can't get through the store quickly. That's 100% my goal in a grocery store. There is nothing you can add to a grocery shopping experience to make it something I want to actually experience.

This is why I started going to Fareway. The local Hy Vee is a nightmare to traverse and then get through the checkout.

Hy Vee has a great alcohol selection but Fareway has Tito’s and some selection of local beers so I’m good.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I worked at a SunMart grocery store while in high school and we'd always haze the new employees by telling them one of the things they had to do was go to aisle 2 and shake the bottles of salad dressing. Has nothing to do with the Hy Vee love machine, but it was a funny thing to watch and I felt it warranted mentioning.

Did this at Hy-Vee too when I was younger. So funny to watch. Shake the Italian dressing!

Reactions: Gonzo

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Hy-Vee in general just seems "off" since they first tried the sit down bar/restaurant thing in them ten years ago. Seems like they are flailing. I think their leadership team sucks, they are always changing course. And their ads are the WORST.

They nailed the liquor store part of things though.

When they start stocking Booker's bourbon, I'll shop there. As it is, I can find much better offerings and prices at Central City Liquor. Cyclone Liquor too. Having a once a year "raffle" so I get a chance to buy McKenna or the like is not for me.

Last time in I was in Hy-Vee it was their brand or nothing, so I choose nothing.

By the way, anyone have pull with Total Wine? Would love to have one in the metro.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
What's different about it?
IMO… it used to be fresher. Now it always seems hours old.

It used to have a little more of a flour bottom and the appearance of at least being fresh dough and hand tossed. Now it is made from premise crust.

They used to have more variety on the rack, but now I hope you like sausage or pepperoni.

Should I go on?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is why I started going to Fareway. The local Hy Vee is a nightmare to traverse and then get through the checkout.

Hy Vee has a great alcohol selection but Fareway has Tito’s and some selection of local beers so I’m good.

One of the butchers at Fareway calls me sweetie, I think cause I am an old lady. Our Hy-Vee has no butchers, just pre-packed crap.

Fareway has good selection of local beers

Last edited:

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
IMO… it used to be fresher. Now it always seems hours old.

It used to have a little more of a flour bottom and the appearance of at least being fresh dough and hand tossed. Now it is made from premise crust.

They used to have more variety on the rack, but now I hope you like sausage or pepperoni.

Should I go on?

Which stores are you experiencing this at?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I actually don’t think this is a weird idea. I had an idea in college of a grocery store that only sells smaller portions of items (pretty much the opposite of Sam’s Club/Costco) called Single Serve.
My professor hated the idea but I still think the single college crowd/cougars would have shopped there.
So……..a regular grocery store or dollar general?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I actually don’t think this is a weird idea. I had an idea in college of a grocery store that only sells smaller portions of items (pretty much the opposite of Sam’s Club/Costco) called Single Serve.
My professor hated the idea but I still think the single college crowd/cougars would have shopped there.

THIS would be the place to have the hookup show filmed.

In all seriousness, grocery margins are so small I don't know how it would work. There's reasons why the big guys are trying to be even bigger. Maybe if you could secure locations adjacent to college campuses. Bodegas in NYC pretty much do this.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I used to be a big Hy-Vee guy. I just don't like what they are becoming. All of the stuff they are adding IMO takes away from the experience because I can't get through the store quickly. That's 100% my goal in a grocery store. There is nothing you can add to a grocery shopping experience to make it something I want to actually experience.

Coincidence? I think not.