Hurricane Ian's destruction

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
While not as destructive we have blizzards pretty regularly and no one thinks of bugging out before one hits. We can have ice, feet of snow, gale force winds and days long power outages.

I'm sure people think we are crazy as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Anyone know if those street signs are a standard height across the country? That looks like what 8 or 9 feet of water already?
If you are talking about the video in post 99, it was below the bottom of the double sign. I'm guessing more like 5 feet. It was also below the bottom of the windows in the buildings.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
actually she just posted a snap that shows water in the driveway up to her car windows.

Her moms house appears to raised up

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Live camera from Naples pier

Couldn't find one from Sanibel, as it sounds like most of them are down.
That's been fascinating and mesmerizing to watch. But it looks like it just went down.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
While not as destructive we have blizzards pretty regularly and no one thinks of bugging out before one hits. We can have ice, feet of snow, gale force winds and days long power outages.

That is not the same thing at all. This is basically several days warning that you are going to get the impacts of a tornado, a flood and a blizzard (power outage) all at the same time. If evacuating is an option, everyone should do it

• Agree
Reactions: tre and burn587

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I can honestly say in the 40 years I have lived in the Midwest, I have never had a multi day power outage. The most I can recall being out is maybe 6 or 7 hours.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I've been through a hurricane and comparing to to a blizzard isn't even remotely close. The effects from hurricane damage last for weeks, months, or even years.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The derecho left us without power for almost 4 days, and we live in the Des Moines metro. Other areas had it worse.
I'm in CR and was without power for close to a week. Probably the closest I'll ever experience to a hurricane. Just short of an hour of sustained winds of 80-100 with gusts up to 140mph. Palm trees are much better at handling those winds than oak, hickory and maple trees.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been through a hurricane and comparing to to a blizzard isn't even remotely close. The effects from hurricane damage last for weeks, months, or even years.

I will say before I moved out west I was completely oblivious to wildfires but after seeing it up close I can't believe how clueless I was as to to the magnitude of danger and destruction. How much of that is the problem getting worse and how much of it was my own ignorance is hard to say, but it was pretty eye opening.

I do wonder how blizzards compare to hurricanes in terms of the dangers and casualties on the days of the storm. Obviously they don't leave the same dollar amount of property destruction. I think certain ice storms rather than blizzards where the roads turn into pure ice are probably undervalued nationwide in terms of how much danger they present in terms of fatalities.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron